|Release date||20 November 2012 (Update)|
|Cooldown||60 seconds (100 ticks)|
|Transform into an elemental based on your most recently cast spell.
|Infobox • Talk page|
Metamorphosis is an ultimate magic ability. For 15 seconds, the player transforms into an elemental, magic damage is increased by 62.5% in PvM (31.25% in PvP), and combat spells cost no runes. Unlike Berserk, Death's Swiftness, and Sunshine, damage of the magic ability bleeds Combust and Corruption Blast, the damage dealt by the Crackling perk, and the Dragon Rider amulet's damage-over-time effect are increased by Metamorphosis. Bleeds activated before Metamorphosis are boosted once the ability is activated and any remaining bleeds revert back to normal when Metamorphosis expires.
Although no runes are consumed, players still need to have them in their inventory.
The spells' counterparts in Ancient Magicks do affect this ability and their damage is also increased by it. Smoke spells turn the player into an air elemental, shadow spells for earth, blood spells for fire, and ice spells for water.
Metamorphosis only boosts the damage from spells of the same element as the elemental the player turns into, although other elemental spells will still be free to cast. It is not actually required to cast the element spell for Metamorphosis; as long as the spell is set to auto-cast, using any damaging ability (even non-magic abilities like Debilitate) will allow you to transform into that spell's associated elemental.
It is impossible to use some teleports, or perform emotes while transformed. It is also impossible to cast during certain transformations. Some teleports work, explorers ring, amulet of glory, TokKul-Zo, and ectophial for example, while desert amulet and Captain's log don't.
Metamorphosis shares its cooldown with Sunshine.
Comparison to Berserk[edit | edit source]
Berserk is the melee counterpart of Metamorphosis.
Advantages[edit | edit source]
- Metamorphosis does not increase your damage received, making this ability more viable in dangerous situations.
- Metamorphosis boosts damage-over-time abilities and certain additional damage sources.
Neutral[edit | edit source]
- As ultimate abilities, both drain the adrenaline bar completely.
Disadvantages[edit | edit source]
- Lower damage boost (+62.5% versus +100%).
- When Metamorphosis is active you cannot teleport with some teleportation methods, potentially putting yourself in danger.
- Lower duration compared to Berserk (15 seconds for Metamorphosis, 20 seconds for Berserk).
Tactics[edit | edit source]
- Using Asphyxiate and Wild Magic while Metamorphosis is active can deal very high damage. Use Anticipation before using Asphyxiate to avoid getting stunned while hitting your target.
Adrenaline Potions are recommended for this tactic to work efficiently.
Countertactics in PvP[edit | edit source]
- Outclass your opponent in terms of damage by using powerful abilities such as Rapid Fire, forcing them to eat and thus rendering Metamorphosis useless.
- Simply stunning the opponent can minimise damage.
- Reflect could both halve your damage received and damage your opponent, leaving them in a dangerous state.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 21 January 2019 (Update):
- The damage modifiers from damage enhancing scrimshaws, Berserker auras and the Metamorphosis ability are now calculated earlier. This means that bosses phase correctly when they reach their HP threshold and mechanics that rely on damage to progress (such as Telos' tendrils or Vorago's pushback phases (Phase 5 - Normal Mode, Phase 10/11 - Hard Mode)) will now take the additional damage from the modifiers into the equation.
- Removed a delay when activating the Metamorphosis ability.
- patch 25 January 2016 (Update):
- Metamorphosis will now increase magic damage by 62.5% in PvM and 31.25% in PvP for 15 seconds.
- patch 14 December 2015 (Update):
- The damage modifier when using the Metamorphosis ability has been modified to better resemble the tooltip.
- patch 26 May 2015 (Update):
- Metamorphosis and Berserk will now disable themselves when entering combat against another player in the Wilderness.
- patch 20 October 2014 (Update):
- Area of effect abilities will now deal more damage against the main target when Metamorphosis is active.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This ability used to only give a 25% bonus damage, and was soon changed to 50%. It was later changed to 75% in an unknown update. It was changed back to 50% to match its tooltip information.
- This ability was further updated, lowering the ability time from 20s to 15s, and changing the damage bonus to be 62.5% in PvM and 31.25% in PvP.
- This ability will not make non-combat spells (e.g. High Level Alchemy) free to cast.
- Prior to RuneScape 3, this ability would temporarily change the player's username in the combat tab. Air spells named the player Twister, Water named the player Vortex, Earth named the player Rocky, and Fire named the player Sparky.
- The transformation into the fire form is reminiscent of "The Human Torch" from Fantastic Four.
- It is impossible to take a forum photo in the Photo Booth with Metamorphosis active.
- If you are wielding a staff, the elemental will continue to use its spellcasting animations, despite not visibly holding the staff.
- Polypore Strike does not benefit from Metamorphosis's rune saving property.
Gallery[edit | edit source]