|Merlin's Crystal (#21)|
|Release date||27 February 2002 (Update)|
|Official series||Camelot #1|
|Start area||Seers' Village|
|Combat||NPC combat level 20–29|
|Quest create ID||72|
Official description[edit | edit source]
|“||Merlin the Wizard has become carelessly imprisoned inside a giant crystal.
Take up King Arthur's quest to free Merlin and become one of the Knights of the Round Table.
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Talk to King Arthur in Camelot.|
|Member requirement||Members only|
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.|
All the following items can be acquired during the quest:
|Enemies to defeat|
Camelot[edit | edit source]
To begin the quest, talk to King Arthur in his castle of Camelot. Ask him if you can join the Knights of the Round Table, and he'll suggest you complete a quest first to prove yourself; the Knights love a quest. Unfortunately, their current quest is to free their court wizard, Merlin, who has been trapped in a magic crystal.
While they managed to find Merlin and bring him back to the castle, they haven't quite figured out how to free him. Arthur will tell you to ask the other knights if you need any help.
The impenetrable fortress[edit | edit source]
First, speak to Sir Gawain about how Merlin got trapped; he'll either be in the same room as King Arthur or outside in the courtyard. He'll tell you that Morgan Le Faye might know how to release Merlin, since she's the one who put him in the crystal. Unfortunately, her hideout – the Keep Le Faye – is practically impenetrable.
Next, find Sir Lancelot upstairs and ask him if he has any idea on how to get into the Keep. He'll tell you that the fortress is built in a strong defensive position, and that the heavy front doors are always guarded. He also informs you that the fortress has all its supplies delivered by boat.
Now that you've got a lead, head down south to Catherby. You'll find Arhein on the docks just south of the bank. Talk to him to find out that he sails to the Keep to deliver some resources; he's not about to let you hitch a ride, though.
Knight terror[edit | edit source]
At this point, it is advised to be equipped for combat. Walk directly west of Arhein toward the candle-maker and you'll find some crates, in front of the vegetable stalls. Click on the large one to slip inside and hide. There will be a bit of dialogue as workers come to pack you up and put you in the boat. After a while you'll be dropped off at Keep Le Faye, at which point you can climb out.
NOTE: Do not perform any action or the conversation will end and you will have to go through it all over again! If you do perform an action or disconnect, you may have to teleport to exit the crate and try again.
The Renegade Knights will only be hostile to low-level players. Enter the keep and climb the stairs to the top floor, where you'll find Sir Mordred. Dismiss familiars, if any, and talk to him to proceed into a fight. Mordred is fairly easy to kill, with a minimal requirement for food. Do not leave the castle or you'll have to go back to Catherby and do it again!
Sorcery[edit | edit source]
In exchange for sparing her son's life, she agrees to show you how to release Merlin. You will need a number of things to free him from the crystal prison: a set of bat bones, a black candle, Excalibur, and some magic words.
Bat bones[edit | edit source]
There are giant bats right outside the keep, to the west. Just go out the other door on the ground floor[UK]1st floor[US] to get outside, and kill one.
Black candle[edit | edit source]
Head back to Catherby and speak to the candle maker, whose stall is just south of the bank. Talk to him and he'll tell you that black candles are traditionally very bad luck to make. Coax him into giving you one and eventually he'll agree — if you can bring him a bucket full of wax.
Head west to the fenced-in area containing bee hives and speak to the Beekeeper for some insect repellent. Alternatively, you can pick up insect repellent south of Hickton's Archery Emporium. If you don't have a bucket, there is one that spawns right next to the gate by the beehives.
Use the insect repellent on any hive (except for the one in the north-east corner) to temporarily drive the bees away, then use a bucket on it to obtain some wax. Take this back to the candle maker to trade for your black candle. You may talk to him again to get any number of black candles for a bucket of wax each. After completing the quest you will not be able to trade a bucket of wax for a candle, instead he will sell black candles for 3 coins each.
Excalibur[edit | edit source]
To destroy the crystal, you'll need a sword known as Excalibur, currently in the possession of The Lady of the Lake. She's located on the peninsula south-east of Taverley, around the lake shore. Talk to her and she'll tell you that she has the sword, but that she first wants you to go to the jewellery shop in Port Sarim.
If you don't already have one, grab a loaf of bread from a food shop – the nearest one is Wydin's Food Store, in Port Sarim, just south of the lodestone – and head north to the jewellery shop. As you open the door, a beggar will approach you and ask you for some food to feed his starving family; give him the loaf of bread. When you do, the tramp will change into the Lady of the Lake, who was simply testing the purity of your spirit.
Now satisfied that you are worthy of the sword, she hands you Excalibur.
The magic words[edit | edit source]
Go to the Zamorakian temple in Varrock, located in the south-eastern part of the city, near Aubury's Rune Shop. Right click to check the altar. The inscription on it reads: "Snarthon Candtrick Termanto".
Freeing Merlin[edit | edit source]
Go back to Camelot and head to the north-east corner of the castle grounds – outside the castle, but inside the fence. You'll find a small stone gazebo with eight columns. Inside, on the ground, is a twelve pointed star.
Light your black candle within this structure and drop the bat bones here (do not bury the bones). A ghost named Thrantax the Mighty will appear and you will be prompted to say the magic words. The magic words are "Snarthon Candtrick Termanto".
If you get it right, the ghost will agree to grant one of your wishes. If you fail, he will attack you and you'll have to try again. Be careful though, as he is level 70 and can hit in triple figures. If this happens, simply stand in the middle of the twelve pointed star again and drop the bat bones. Once the ghost is under your control, you can ask for it to free Merlin from the crystal.
Now go back inside Camelot Castle and from the south-east corner of the ground floor[UK]1st floor[US], climb to the very top of the tower. There you will find Merlin imprisoned in a blue crystal. With Excalibur either equipped or in your inventory, smash the crystal to release him.
Head back downstairs and talk to King Arthur, who grants you honourary admittance into the Knights of the Round Table. Congratulations, quest complete!
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 6 quest points
- A replica of Excalibur will be placed in the Varrock Museum as a Varrock Museum display by talking to Historian Minas. This will give you 5 Kudos and a lamp for 1,000 XP (can be used on a skill at least level 20).
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys (Ironman accounts will not receive these)
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Merlin's Crystal ( 0) – Complete this quest.
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
Merlin's Crystal is directly required for the following quests/miniquests:
- Alpha vs Omega
- Azzanadra's Quest
- Battle of the Monolith
- Blood Runs Deep
- Children of Mah
- City of Senntisten
- Full comprehension of Curse of the Black Stone
- Desperate Creatures
- Desperate Measures
- Full comprehension of Desperate Times
- Dishonour among Thieves
- Full comprehension of Evil Dave's Big Day Out
- Eye of Het I
- Eye of Het II
- Fate of the Gods
- Glorious Memories
- Full comprehension of Heart of Stone
- Full comprehension of Hero's Welcome
- In Memory of the Myreque (miniquest)
- Kindred Spirits
- King's Ransom
- Koschei's Troubles (miniquest)
- Legends' Quest
- Love Story
- Mahjarrat Memories (miniquest)
- Full comprehension of Missing, Presumed Death
- Full comprehension of Nadir (saga)
- Nomad's Elegy
- Nomad's Requiem
- Once Upon a Time in Gielinor: Finale
- Once Upon a Time in Gielinor: Fortunes
- One of a Kind
- Rebuilding Edgeville (miniquest)
- Recipe for Disaster
- Recipe for Disaster: Defeating the Culinaromancer
- Recipe for Disaster: Freeing Sir Amik Varze
- Remains of the Necrolord
- Ritual of the Mahjarrat
- River of Blood
- Royal Trouble
- Sins of the Father
- Sliske's Endgame
- Tales of Nomad (miniquest)
- The Branches of Darkmeyer
- The Light Within
- The Lord of Vampyrium
- The Lost Toys (miniquest)
- The Mighty Fall
- Full completion of The World Wakes
- Full comprehension of The World Wakes
- Throne of Miscellania
- Twilight of the Gods
- While Guthix Sleeps
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Credits[edit | edit source]
|Developer||Paul Gower, Mod James (conversion to RuneScape 2)|
|Quest Help||Dan L|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 4 November 2019 (Update):
- A typo in the "Merlin's Crystal" quest required items section has been fixed.
- patch 1 December 2014 (Update):
- Updated the Merlin's Crystal quest start journal to reflect recent changes to the combat level calculation.
- patch 19 September 2012 (Update):
- patch 10 January 2011 (Update):
- Mordred no longer ignores the player at a certain point in this quest.
- patch 17 November 2009 (Update):
- Removed a combat requirement from the Merlin's Crystal quest as it wasn't needed.
- patch 7 October 2009 (Update):
- Stopped most wielded items appearing outside the crate used in Merlin's Crystal.
- update 14 March 2005 (Update):
- Merlin's Crystal is only an intermediate quest, yet it sent you to a multi-way combat zone in the Wilderness. You now need to go to a different chaos altar.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Upon talking to King Arthur for the first time, he says 'Back in England, Merlin got himself trapped...' This is the first time a quest incorporates a non-fictional country into the game.
- The quest was once a requirement to teleport to Camelot, but this was later changed.
- This quest, at one point, could not be completed by skillers due to an update that forced players to wield the sword to smash the crystal. The 'smash' option being later added, skillers are now able to complete the quest again.
- This quest awards more quest points on completion than any other standard quest, exceeded only by Recipe for Disaster and Dimension of Disaster when considering the total awarded by completing all of either one's subquests.
- If you talk to the Lady of the Lake on the 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US] of the jewellery shop, you can get the same dialogue as she has at the lake, including telling you to go to where you already are.
|Part 1 of the Camelot quest series|