Menaphos Insiders were a group of people chosen by Jagex to help promote the release of Menaphos. The individuals within the group received information about the update before anyone else, and were free to disclose or withhold the information as they please.
Individuals that were accepted into the insiders programme received a link to a Discord server created by Jagex, and were assigned a role in the server after joining. Information that was given to the insiders was nothing that would give them an unfair advantage. In the case that any of the information given to them wasn't shared, Jagex may have chosen to share it at some point themselves.
The application process to join the programme opened on 26 April 2017 and lasted one week. Invitations to the programme were sent out from 4 May 2017 onwards. According to the email received by successful applicants, over 2,500 people applied to join the programme. Only 20 people were selected to become an insider - 4 of them were chosen at random, while the rest were chosen after applications were reviewed.
Congratulations! You have been invited to become a Menaphos Insider!
Thank you for your recent registration to become a Menaphos Insider. We have reviewed more than 2,500 applications, and have selected a small group of players to join the MI Discord server.
If you would still like to sign up, please visit the following link. This link should not be shared with anyone else: [link]
Once you have joined the server, your details will be verified by the Jagex team within 24 hours and you will be assigned the correct role, allowing you to use text and voice chat. We will only verify the Discord account you supplied during sign up: [username] (please contact us if it has changed) Please be sure to read the rules carefully.[sic]
|— Jagex Email sent to successful applicants|
Reveals[edit | edit source]
On 10 May 2017, the insiders released a concept image for a skilling area within Menaphos. The area features a painted texture background, mining-related artefacts and structures, and carved platforms.
On 13 May, the insiders released a lore image of the slayer murals. Each mural depicts a different event, including Amascut founding the Order, the discovery of Amascut's machine in the Pollnivneach Slayer Dungeon, and a slayer master teaching a student how to fight a monster. The sixth mural has been destroyed.
On 20 May, the insiders released a concept image of the corruption effects.
On 24 May, the insiders released information about a new item that will be added with Menaphos, the Cape of the Palapa. It is awarded from Urluk for completing tasks that require exploring the city. A few days later, three images relating to this reveal were released by the insiders.
Concept art of the Cape of the Palapa
Requirements[edit | edit source]
In order to apply for the programme, applicants needed:
- A RuneScape account
- A valid email address
- A Discord account
Additional information was collected when signing up relating to the social media followings of individual users. Jagex stated that they wanted a variety of players to be involved with the programme, not just those that have large numbers of social media followers.
Rules[edit | edit source]
There were a number of rules associated with being part of the programme. If any of the rules were broken by an insider, action may have been taken against their RuneScape account and they would have been removed from the programme. They were:
Programme-specific[edit | edit source]
- Selling the information given, whether for in-game or real-world currency, is prohibited.
Discord-specific[edit | edit source]
- Inviting other people to the server is prohibited, as well as sharing your Discord account with someone else.
- The Rules of RuneScape apply.
- All content posted must be considered safe-for-work.
- Jagex have the final decision regarding moderation on the server.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Mod Balance. Menaphos Insiders | Sign Up - Future Game Updates. 26 April 2017. (Archived from the original on 2017-05-05.)
- ^ Jagex. "Menaphos Quiz & Competitions." 27 April 2017. RuneScape News.
- ^ Mod Balance. Mod Balance on Twitter: "OUCH! Loads of Menaphos Insiders invites were stuck in the outbox! More going out now.". 10 May 2017. (Archived from the original on 2017-05-10.)
- ^ Mod Balance. Mod Balance on Twitter: "@helring @PodcastLime @RsBethy @YourPalRoss @WeAreSOLST1CE @Fannygirdle @Crocky_God Really, Helring... 4 of our initial invitees were picked at random, the rest were a conscious choice. This is a bit of fun, an experiment.". 10 May 2017. (Archived from the original on 2017-05-10.)
- ^ Mod Balance. Mod Balance on Twitter: "Menaphos Insiders announcement (and their first information/teaser) coming tomorrow! STAY TUNED!". 9 May 2017. (Archived from the original on 2017-05-09.)
- ^ Barbierian. Leaks of the Menaphos Insider - Leak#4. 24 May 2017. (Archived from the original on 2017-05-24.)
- ^ Barbierian. Menaphos Insider - Post#5 - With a Story. 26 May 2017. (Archived from the original on 2017-06-02.)
- ^ Mod Balance. Menaphos Insiders | Sign Up. 27 April 2017. (Archived from the original on 2017-05-07.)
|Golden Path Challenge|
|Countdown to Menaphos|