Melzar the Mad is a wizard from Crandor. When Elvarg, the dragon beneath the island, awoke, she destroyed the settlement. The survivors fled to the mainland, and the map to the island was split into three pieces to prevent anybody from travelling to the island. Melzar took one piece, while his fellow wizards Lozar and Thalzar took the other pieces. At some point he lost his sanity.
He built a castle on top of the Crandorian refugee camp which Elvarg had destroyed then locked himself inside, sealing himself on the lowest floor. He then populated the castle with the undead forms of the Crandorians, having turned to necromancy. He also managed to trap a lesser demon, channelling its magic to aid his necromancy. He experimented with raising rat corpses, but found that the rats he experimented on did not obtain any of their living behaviours beyond basic movement. He attempted to summon their spiritual forms, using personal items to bind the spirits. During his experiments, he started becoming obsessed with cabbages, and dreamed of the Cabbage of Jas. He eventually succeeded in reanimating several skeletons, but had trouble binding flesh to them. He selected two skeletons to grow flesh onto to turn them into zombies.
According to Malignius Mortifer, Melzar's madness was caused by a backfiring spell, which also affected his ability to get his spells to work as intended. However his own notes indicate a descent into madness caused by grief and anger.
In combat, he punches and kicks, casts one of four spells (Fire Strike, Weaken, Confuse and Curse), and summons a cabbage. He blurts out nonsensical messages, many of them food and drink related. When he is killed, he drops a magenta key which leads to the lesser demon he summoned, which holds the map piece.
Melzar the mad is fight-able as a class H boss monster in the Dominion Tower minigame if the player has completed the quest Dragon Slayer.
He owns the bot gladiator arena in New Varrock, and also makes bots of his own. The Trial Announcer in New Varrock states that he is a multi-millionaire.
Feel the wrath of my feet!
Let me drink my tea in peace!
Melzar likes tea.
By the power of custard!
Melzar the Mad using the Power of Custard.
Leave me alone, I need to feed my pet rock!
Melzar takes good care of his pets.
Melzar's love for cabbages.
During the 2014 Hallowe'en event, he summoned an army of ghosts to invade Death's mansion in an attempt to take control of Death's domain so that he could revive the dead Crandorians.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
patch 1 November 2014 (Update):
- Melzar the Mad is no longer in a rush to tell players about tea and custard.
- The Oracle sometimes refers to Melzar the Mad: "He who uses the power of custard mixes it with his tears."
- Another Cryptic writing talks about the "Cabbage of Jas". This piece of dialogue was added alongside the Dragon Slayer rework in 2007, and references the Stone of Jas (or perhaps Brassica Prime). Notably, the cabbage is sacred to Guthix, who is often associated with the Stone of Jas. Also, some believe the Stone of Jas looks somewhat like a cabbage.
- Melzar had a wife who died during Elvarg's attack.
- Melzar is referenced in M. and thok letter (part 5), which describes Lexicus Runewright with "Honestly, who would be crazy enough to use a book as a weapon? Mad Melzar maybe, ...".
- He is voiced by Mod Moltare.
- There is currently a glitch where Melzar interrupts himself, causing a jumble of words. Khazard, when fought in Fight Arena, also has this glitch.
- ^ Guildmaster, "Dragon Slayer", RuneScape. "Melzar built a castle on the site of the Crandorian refugee camp, north of Rimmington. He's locked himself in there and no one's seen him for years. The inside of his castle is like a maze, and is populated by undead monsters."
- ^ Melzar the Mad, "Melzar's notes", RuneScape. "...My ritual was a success! I have managed to subdue a lesser demon. I can channel it's magic to master the forces of life and death - as long as its chains hold..."
- ^ Melzar the Mad, "Melzar's notes", RuneScape. "...On my fortieth attempt, the process was partially successful. The rat's flesh continues to decay, but it regains the faculty for movement it had in life. It is too early to say how many of its mental faculties have survived...[...]...Close study of the undead rat's behaviour reveal that no behavioural patterns acquired in life survive the process, even if the brain is perfectly preserved. I will have to find a way to conjure the deceased spirit separately..."
- ^ Melzar the Mad, "Melzar's notes", RuneScape. "...I have searched the ruins of the refugee camp and found many personal items. I can use these to conjure up spirits of my deceased countrymen..."
- ^ Melzar the Mad, "Melzar's notes", RuneScape. "...Had dream last night of great cabbage. Cabbage of Jas. Used by Gods to create all life and magic. all runes have part of its power. so with runes I can control power above magic..."
- ^ Melzar the Mad, "Melzar's notes", RuneScape. "...I have succeeded in animating several of the skeletons, but without complete anatomies they cannot hold the spirits of my dead countrymen. Most will serve as guards, but I have selected two on which I will grow flesh..."
- ^ Malignius Mortifer, RuneScape. "The forces required to wield power over the dead are very difficult to control. Melzar's concentration slipped, and his spell rebounded upon him. Although he did not die, his mind broke. Now he dwells amidst the beasts that fill his strange home, and when he attempts to do magic he gets... amusing results."
- ^ Death, "2014 Hallowe'en event", RuneScape. "As I said before, Melzar the Mad has launched an attempt to invade my house with an army of ghosts. I believe he is doing so to try and gain control of my domain. This would allow him the power he seeks to resurrect the dead of Crandor, although those spirits have moved on long ago."
- ^ Mod John A. Old Lore vs New Lore.*