|Release date||26 January 2005 (Update)|
|Sells items||Slayer Equipment|
|Examine||He looks dangerous!|
|NPC ID||8274, 8307, 8308, 8309, 8464, 15935|
|Infobox • (multi) • Talk page|
Mazchna (pronounced Mash-ner) is a low-level Slayer master located in north-eastern Canifis, very near the Canifis lodestone. He will give slayer assignments to any player with a combat level of 50 or above.
History[edit | edit source]
Early life[edit | edit source]
Mazchna is a demon by race; he is the only known demon Slayer master, apart from Achtryn, his temporary replacement during the quest While Guthix Sleeps. Mazchna became very skilled in combat and eventually became a Slayer master. Mazchna chased away all the other demons in Morytania to gain his Slayer master monopoly in Canifis. Unlike most demons who generally cause havoc, Mazchna strives to be good.
Fighting Lucien's undead army[edit | edit source]
Mazchna fought in the Skirmish at the Chaos Temple; he is one of a band of eight heroes who attempts to save the player from Lucien after the player's identity is compromised. It is seen during the battle that Mazchna has a combat level of 197. He and Harrallak Menarous are the only survivors of the strike team, as they were fighting Lucien's undead reinforcements. After Lucien leaves, Mazchna is seriously injured, but he is still able to fight and demands they chase the Mahjarrat to get revenge for Turael and Duradel's deaths. Harrallak refuses, as it would be a complete slaughter. Mazchna realizes he is right as the Slayer cause has suffered enough today with the loss of two masters, and reports the battle to Idria before returning to his post.
Slayer points[edit | edit source]
|Smoking Kills||Points per task||Points per 10th task||Points per 50th task|
Completing 50 tasks assigned by Mazchna grants an average of 3.2 points per tasks, if Smoking kills has been completed.
Assignments[edit | edit source]
|Monster||Amount||Combat level||Slayer experience||Slayer level||Weakness||Weighting|
|Ankou||60-120||60, 61, 63||68,70,72||1||Earth spells|
|Banshee||60-120||37, 91 (Mighty)||22, 85||15||Arrows|
|Basilisk||60-120||70, 77||75||40||Air spells|
|Bloodveld||60-120||61, 68, 92 (Godwars dungeon), 91 & 95 (mutated)||38.6, 88.4, 197, 216, 239.6||50||Fire spells|
|Brine rat||60-120||49||50||47||Fire spells|
|Cave crawler||50-90||53, 74, 78||24.5, 49.5, 57.6||10||Slash|
|Crocodile||30 - 60||40, 77||34.6, 44.4||1||Air spells|
|Cyclops||30-60||57, 63, 68, 91||75, 100||1||Melee|
|Desert Lizard||50-90||21 (small), 35, 49 & 63 (Desert Lizard), 77 (Lizard)||9.6, 14, 21.6, 34.2, 54.8||22||Water spells|
|Dog||50-90||33 (guard, cerberus), 35 (wild), 61 (terror), 65 (terror), 67, (shadow)||13.4, 13.4, 14, 65.2, 75.4, 39.4||1||Varies|
|Earth warrior||30-60||78||54||1||Water spells|
|Ghoul||60 - 120||64||50||1||Fire spells|
|Green dragon||30 - 60||63, 105 (Brutal)||175, 440||1||Bolts|
|Grotworm||60 - 120||28 (young), 63 (regular), 98 (mature)||12, 107.8, 343.5||1||Bolts|
|Ice giant||60 - 120||51||70||1||Fire spells|
|Ice warrior||60 - 120||54||59||1||Fire spells|
|Infernal mage||60 - 120||72||60||45||Arrows|
|Jelly||60 - 120||63, 68||75||52||Crush|
|Jungle horror||60 - 120||67||50||1||Water spells|
|Killerwatt||60 - 120||61||51||37||Crush|
|Lesser demon||60 - 120||70, 84 (Revenant)||90.5, 80||1||Bolts|
|Molanisk||60 - 120||53||52||39||Crush|
|Moss giant||60 - 120||28, 51, 61||60,85,120||1||Slash|
|Ogre||60 - 120||56, 67, 86||60||1||Air spells|
|Otherworldly being||60 - 120||63||66||1||Thrown|
|Pyrefiend||60 - 120||61, 67, 92||45||30||Bolts|
|Rock slug||50-90||42, 49||20, 22||20||Water spells|
|Sea snake||30 - 60||63||50, 85||1||Slash|
|Shade||60 - 120||58, 60, 60, 90, 61, 65, 70, 98, 120||38, 56, 74, 32.5, 90, 110||1|| Earth spells (Stronghold Of Security)|
Water spells (Mort'ton, Shade Catacombs)
|Shadow warrior||60 - 120||65||67||1||Air spells|
|Turoth||60 - 120||64, 66, 68, 69, 71, 138 (Mighty)||76, 77, 79, 80, 81, ?||55||Stab|
|Vampyre (monster)||60 - 120||61, 89 (God Wars Dungeon)||40,50,60||1||Fire spells|
|Werewolf||60 - 120||63, 89 (God Wars Dungeon)||90,100||1||Water spells|
Slayer Challenge[edit | edit source]
After a player has performed several Slayer tasks for Mazchna, he will occasionally offer a special task in place of a regular Slayer task. The player can decline to take the special task without penalty. If the player accepts the special task, completing the task:
- Earns 2,000 Slayer XP (no experience is earned during the task itself).
- Earns 3 Slayer points, if the player has completed the Smoking Kills quest, beyond the normal points received for a task from Mazchna.
- Counts as a task for the player's consecutive task count, which is used for Slayer points.
- CKS near Canifis (a safe area until Mazchna is contacted)
- ALQ in the Haunted Woods (vampyres and leeches are present).
- BKR in the Mort Myre Swamp (ghasts and the Mort Myre Swamp effect are present; a blessed silver sickle and druid pouches are recommended).
At each ring, the player must contact Mazchna using an enchanted gem. If the player does not have a gem in inventory when the task is assigned, Mazchna will give the player a gem for free (even if the player has an enchanted gem in the bank). However, Mazchna will not give the player a gem if the player's inventory is full (and still won't if the player later returns with an empty inventory slot and speaks to him about the task again).
The player does not have to use the fairy ring transport network; simply walking to the rings is sufficient. When near a ring, the player activates the enchanted gem to contact Mazchna. The player does not get the usual choices when the gem is activated (if the usual choices appear, then the player is not near enough to the ring).
The three monsters you have to fight are a ravenous snail (level 49) at ring BKR, a ravenous ghoul (level 70) at ring CKS, and a ravenous vampyre (level 91) at ring ALQ. The fairy rings can be done in any order.
The player does not have to finish the conversation with Mazchna after each kill, they can go to the next fairy ring immediately after killing one monster.
Task weighting[edit | edit source]
A dynamic calculator for task weight can be found here.
The percentage chance of getting assigned a given Slayer task can be calculated using the formula
where is the task's weight and is the sum of all weights for the particular Slayer Master. Note that the weights of all blocked tasks, as well as tasks toggled off have to be subtracted from the sum . For Mazchna, assuming all possible assignments are available, = .
Preferring a task makes it approximately twice as likely to be assigned, for the first assignment choice, but does not affect the weighting of the second assignment choice provided by a Slayer VIP ticket.
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- ninja 1 March 2021 (Update):
- Mazchna and Vannaka have switched places in the pecking order.
- Mazchna will now assign tasks to players of level 50 combat and above.
- Their task lists have been changed to accommodate their new level bandings.
- Mazchna and Vannaka have switched places in the pecking order.
- patch 9 September 2019 (Update):
- Fixed an issue where Mazchna was assigning slayer tasks from Vannaka.
- patch 19 August 2019 (Update):
- Mazchna will now suggest you obtain a task from Laniakea if your slayer and combat level is appropriate to do so.
- patch 12 June 2017 (Update):
- patch 31 August 2011 (Update):
- He no longer tells players to train with Kuradal before they are able to.
- patch 5 July 2010 (Update):
- Getting an assignment from Mazchna no longer results in the wrong chat if you decline.
- update 26 January 2005 (Update):
- Added to game.
- Today we have introduced a new skill for members called the Slayer skill! To start the Slayer skill, you should find one of the Slayer Masters who are located in various places around RuneScape. There are five Slayer Masters in total, each catering to different strengths. They can be found in Burthorpe, Morytania, Edgeville Dungeon, Zanaris, and Shilo Village.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- At one point, an image in the Knowledge Base showed a character doing Desert Treasure while wielding a sword very similar to Mazchna's. The image has since been removed. With the release of Smoking Kills, the leaf bladed sword was released, which is similar to the one that Mazchna is wielding.
- It seems that Mazchna is wearing an adamant med helm along with an adamant platebody and adamant platelegs.
- For a time after a player completed While Guthix Sleeps, when Mazchna gave tips to the player, his name would appear as slayer_master_2_multi_wounded, whereas before it was just slayer_master_2_multi. This has since been fixed.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Jagex. Postbag 17 - "Transcript:Happy Birthday, Mr Elemental.", Letter 3, by Mazchna. RuneScape Postbags from the Hedge.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Rowley's Twitter account. 26 September 2014. (Archived from the original on 28 September 2014.) Mod Rowley: "Preferred Slayer tasks = a silent, second random roll. If either task is on your prefer list, that's what you get (bias towards first roll)... Once normal and prefer roll is decided, [if] you have a VIP ticket, you get the choice between that roll and a third roll."
|Characters mentioned in the letters|