This article is about the Farming cape seller. For others called Martin, see Martin
Martin the Master Gardener is the leader of the Group of Advanced Gardeners organisation and resides in the Draynor Village market by a pig pen owned by them. He is the starting point for two quests: A Fairy Tale I - Growing Pains and A Fairy Tale II - Cure a Queen, as well as being involved in Bringing Home the Bacon. As the master of Farming, Martin sells the Farming skill cape to players who have reached level 99 in Farming for 99,000 coins, and he sells the Farming master cape to players who have reached level 120 in Farming for 120,000 coins.
The pigpen owned by the G.A.G.
During the quest series, players learn that Martin and several other gardeners are part of the Group of Advanced Gardeners. As gardeners, they tend to farming patches and usually demand payment for their services.
In the first part of the series, Martin complains about how his crops have been suffering greatly and tasked a passing adventurer with speaking with his fellow G.A.G. members to find out what is causing the problem. When the last farmer they speak to mentions fairies, the adventurer discovers Zanaris and finds out that the crops of Gielinor are failing because the Fairy Queen has lost her magic. The adventurer slays a Tanglefoot and gives the magic secateurs to the Fairy Godfather in the hopes that the crops can grow again.
In the second part of the series, Martin accuses the adventurer of lying to him when his crops have still not improved. The adventurer soon finds out that the Fairy Godfather has revolted and harmed the Fairy Queen, resulting in the diminished of Gielinor's crops.
In the third and final part of the series, the adventurer stops the Fairy Godfather from taking over Zanaris by killing his hired ork army and defeating him in combat. With his defeat, the Fairy Queen regains her secateurs and sends them off to Martin, who tells them that his crops are finally improving and thanks them for their assistance. As a reward, players may request to have all of their farming patches weeded.
Martin is visited during Bringing Home the Bacon by the adventurer, who was tasked by Eli Bacon to obtain one of Pigzilla's piglets for his own use. He, along with Eli, are the only two to grow and raise pigs, though he mainly does so because of the revenue generated by Pigzilla. Martin allows the adventurer to take a piglet after helping him identify a thief.
Due to Eli and the adventurer's plans by marketing pigs as useful animals outside of pig wrestling, Martin is flooded with buyers requesting pigs so they may grow and raise them themselves.
As a master farmer, Martin may be pickpocketed by players with a Thieving level of 38 or higher. If players fail, he will say Cor blimey, mate! What are ye doing in me pockets?, and they will take a small amount of damage (varies depending on the player's current life points) and be stunned for 5 seconds.
He shares the same reward table as the farmers themselves.
|| Sell price
|| Buy price
|| GE price
|| Resale value
|Farming cape||∞||99,000||Not bought||59,400||∞ (-39,600)|
|Farming hood||∞||99,000||Not bought||3,000||∞ (-96,000)|
|Farming cape (t)||∞||99,000||Not bought||59,400||∞ (-39,600)|
|Farming master cape||∞||120,000||Not bought||72,000||∞ (-48,000)|The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 15 February 2021 (Update):
- Martin the Master Gardener now has a dialogue option to convert the new Farming Skillcape into the old version.
- patch 17 September 2018 (Update):
- The hive mind of master farmers and Olivia the seed merchant has been broken up and she will only know if you have pickpocketed Martin recently.
- ninja 7 April 2015 (Update):
- Some skillcape sellers that had been left out have now been given the correct capes and hair colours:
- Martin the Master Gardener will now wear the Farming skillcape during the Bringing Home the Bacon quest.
- patch 16 February 2010 (Update):
- Thieving messages for Martin the Master Gardener now make more sense.
- When speaking to Martin, he asks the player if it was them that was going through his pockets even if their thieving skill is lower than 38.
- He was supposed to receive a graphical update along with Draynor Village rework, but Jagex confirmed in the FAQ that he looks good so he won't get updated. Despite this, he was updated in the combat beta servers. It was released into the live game on 5 September 2012, well over a year after the Draynor update, although his chathead did not match the new model. On 30 April 2013, Martin's body was updated to match his chathead, removing his beard.
- When players used to attempt to pick his pockets, the message in the chatbox was displayed as "You attempt to pick the Martin's pocket." This has been fixed.
- If players select master farmers as a challenge in the noticeboard, thieving Martin will not contribute to this.
- Martin also says he has 13 children.