|Release date||14 April 2014 (Update)|
|Examine||The gorilla goddess of good times.|
|NPC ID||? (edit)|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Marimbo is the ancient and cheeky matron goddess of monkeys. At some point, she went to Ape Atoll in search of followers. There she found monkeys; she may or may not have granted them their intelligence. Marimbo decided to stay on Ape Atoll, and the monkeys there still worship her to this day. Once the Edicts of Guthix were established, Marimbo was forced to leave Gielinor and, according to Mod Osborne, because Marimbo is a light-hearted character she partied once the Third Age ended and the Edicts were introduced. This contrasts with the other gods, who were not happy to leave.
The town Marim, on the island of Ape Atoll, is named after her and her only known place of worship is the temple there. Large statues of Marimbo sit inside the Temple of Marimbo on Ape Atoll. Players may see them next to the altar on the 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US] of the building. The statues depict her as a giant gorilla. Her symbol is a triangle (or diamond) which points downwards, with a vertical spike hanging from the bottom point.
She is seen in Sliske's Endgame, having been invited by Sliske, though she quickly leaves with Brassica before the game even starts. Marimbo seems to have strange relationships with the other gods; Armadyl, for instance, will tell the player a story about his drinking competition with her, and humorously advises them not to make the same mistake. Saradomin refuses to tell the player anything about Marimbo out of embarrassment, possibly due to similar reasons. She is also known to have bitten Zamorak on at least one occasion.
Deity info[edit | edit source]
|Alignment||Pleasure and Hedonism|
|Ascended by||Unintentionally killing a god in a drinking contest with the Elder Horn|
|Databox • Talk page|
Ascension[edit | edit source]
During Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza, Marimbo will tell players of her ascension, which she recalls little about. She reveals that she was just an average non-sapient gorilla, and that she 'just one day woke up'. When she became aware, she found herself next to the stony corpse of a dead god along with an empty wine barrel, whose followers nearby then told her about the dead god being hedonistic as well, and travelling worlds challenging mortals to drinking contests. It's suggested that Marimbo defeated him in a drinking contest and that the overdose of alcohol killed him, which might have drained his divine energy into Marimbo in some way.
Relationship with other gods[edit | edit source]
Armadyl[edit | edit source]
The avian god appears to view Marimbo in a positive, friendly light, likely owing to her relative pacifism and not seeking open warfare, directly or otherwise. At one point in history, the two got into a drinking contest that soon escalated, leaving Armadyl with a hangover he does not fondly remember.
Saradomin[edit | edit source]
Marimbo views Saradomin as a 'stick in the mud' and, likely, too devoted to his own goals. Equally, Saradomin sees Marimbo in a somewhat negative light and refers to her as a 'drunken harlot', suggesting she may have humiliated him at some point in the past.
Zamorak[edit | edit source]
Zamorak views Marimbo with caution and distaste, advising others to not be with her in a room for a long period of time, as he was once bitten by the monkey goddess for reasons unknown. Marimbo has stated that should the wars escalate, she would take followers and those who do not wish to participate elsewhere, and likely views Zamorak as a threat.
Brassica Prime[edit | edit source]
The cheerful vegetable god was brought plummeting to Gielinor in the Sixth Age by Marimbo. Initially thought to be enemies, the Third World Event brought about the realisation that the two were merely indulging in a game, even uniting to drive off Kara-Meir when she arrived to denounce them. Although Marimbo lost the game to Brassica, she did not appear to take the loss badly at all, and does not hold a grudge against him for his win. When Sliske set his endgame in motion, she and Brassica left together, suggesting friendship endures between the two.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Concept art of Marimbo and Brassica Prime fighting in the Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza.
A statue to Marimbo in the temple on Ape Atoll
Marimbo's scrapped God Boxhead.
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In a Twitch live stream with Mod Osborne, it was confirmed that the Pest Control Islands once belonged to Marimbo before they were taken over by the pests.
- Before the Missing, Presumed Death quest, Marimbo was widely regarded as a male god, and in game sources were contradictory on the subject (although it seemed to favour that Marimbo was male). Sometime before Missing, Presumed Death, Marimbo's gender was decided by Jagex as being female, due to the noticeable lack of female Gods in Gielinor.
- Judging by the presence of a podium displaying Marimbo's symbol at the Empyrean Citadel in Missing, Presumed Death, she had received an invitation to Sliske's Ascension. However, Marimbo was more concerned with hosting her own welcome back party, and so did not attend.
- The version of Marimbo's symbol seen on the podium in the Empyrean Citadel appears to be a triangle on a stick, as opposed to a diamond.
- Marimbo is voiced by Mod Michelle.
- Her name is likely a reference to the Marimba, a Guatemalan musical instrument. This is further supported by the fact that her followers are "Marimban". This instrument is also referenced in the name of Mami Rimba, a witch doctor.
References[edit | edit source]
|Part 6 of the Sliske quest series|
|Facets of gods|
|† denotes gods that are deceased; ๏ denotes gods part of the Menaphite Pantheon; ‡ denotes gods part of the Karamjan Pantheon|
|Characters mentioned in the letters|