|Release date||26 September 2005 (Update)|
|Location(s)||South of Falador|
|Examine||A master of necromancy!|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Malignius Mortifer is a necromancer just north of Port Sarim. He has four apprentice wizards, one for each of the traditional elements: an air wizard, a water wizard, an earth wizard, and a fire wizard. Mortifer will often try to raise the dead, but sometimes fails and creates fungus. He never summons fungus twice in a row. Occasionally, he will summon a skeleton, skeleton mage, zombie or a ghost. They will follow Mortifer if the necromancy is successful. Mortifer has no purpose for non-members, except that if a player annoys him, he will cast a spell to temporarily transform the player into a mushroom.
He takes part in the Swan Song and A Fairy Tale I quests. Mortifer calls himself a 'great practitioner' and a 'master' of the magic arts, he once triumphed over Tanglefoot, and is known to the dark wizard Zandar Horfyre. Mortifier also possesses knowledge of the Nature Spirit.
After A Fairy Tale I quest, he will return the magical secateurs for 40,000 if the player has lost them. After the competition of A Fairy Tale III, the now returned fairy queen can also replace lost magic secateurs for free.
Malignius is one of the few NPCs that can summon creatures, though if you speak to him about it, he will tell you that necromancy has nothing to do with Summoning. He also mentions that Wizard Grayzag, Invrigar the Necromancer, Sithik Ints and Melzar the Mad are, or were, necromancers.
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 26 November 2018 (Update):
- patch 9 May 2016 (Update):
- Malignius Mortifer and his fellow band of elemental wizards have paid a quick visit to the makeover mage for a face lift, and hence no longer have gaping cuts in their faces.
- patch 18 August 2014 (Update):
- Malignius Mortifer no longer offers the player a brown apron in order to enter the crafting guild.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- According to Postbag From the Hedge, Malignius has anger issues.
- Malignius Mortifer is Latin for Deadly Wickedness.
- When you talk to him with an item aligned to Saradomin, Guthix or Zamorak and ask him if necromancy is similar to summoning, he will answer back with different responses:
- Saradomin: "Saradominist Fool! You will get no secrets from me!"
- Zamorak: "Although I note your respects for our Lord Zamorak, I am afraid the subtle secrets of necromancy must remain beyond your grasp."
- Guthix: "Deluded lover of Guthix, you will get no secrets from me!"
- If you don't wear anything aligned to them, he says: "The obscure magical art of necromancy has nothing to do with Summoning." and he explains why.
- He will refuse to give you bone seeds if you have an item of Saradomin worn or in the inventory.
- At one time, players who were fast clickers were able to teleport before being turned into a mushroom. Said players would proceed to arrive at their destination and become a mushroom for several seconds.
|Part 2 of the Fairy Tale quest series|
|Part 1 of the Wise Old Man quest series|