The Mages' book is a book used as an off-hand weapon for spell-casting. The Mages' book requires 60 Magic to wield and is held in the off-hand slot.
It is a reward from the Mage Training Arena minigame, sold by the Rewards Guardian in exchange for 500 telekinetic, 550 alchemist, 6,000 enchantment, and 500 graveyard pizazz points without any Desert achievement discounts.
It can be coloured with the Members Loyalty Programme for 6000 points. The available colours are:
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 11 January 2016 (Update):
- Wielding a mages’ book no longer causes the player's wrist to deform.
- The mages’ book no longer moves to the opposite hand when woodcutting.
- patch 20 July 2015 (Update):
- The mage's book is now placed on the player's right hip when out of combat, for consistency with other off-hand weapons.
- Until the release of the Arcane spirit shield and Spectral spirit shields, the Mages' book provided the highest Magic attack and Defence bonus of any item worn in the off-hand slot.
- It was a rare potential drop from PvP worlds or Bounty worlds until its removal from the PvP drop table on 16 June 2009.
- On 7 September 2014, the price that a Mages' book could be bought on the Grand Exchange fell sharply from around 500,000 to around 30,000. The cause was never officially been stated. Mod Tyran stated that it was not caused by an in-game glitch or item duplication. On 8 September 2014, excess Mages' books were removed from players that had purchased bulk amounts of them in the previous 24 hours, without refund.