Mackers is a pet turkey who was first given out during the 2011 Thanksgiving event. Mackers was also a reward from the 2014, 2015 and 2016 Thanksgiving events to those who did not receive him in 2011. Despite being a members-only pet, Mackers was obtainable by both members and free players alike, though only members could use and interact with it.
He has an obsession with cake, and only participated in the turkey protest because he was told that cake would be present. After the event is complete, players could still talk to him whilst outside the Cook's Guild. He would say something along the lines of, "I can smell those cakes, There must be a way in." For members, Mackers would decide to tag along with the player with the hope of a better chance at finding cake.
With the update on 15 October 2018, Mackers was moved from being an item to the pets interface. This removed the item and unlocked the pet in the interface if the item was previously owned.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 5 August 2019 (Update):
- Players that already own Mackers in their pet interface can no longer reclaim a duplicate pet from the Pet shop owner in Taverley.
- patch 12 March 2013 (Update):
- Mackers should now walk correctly and a little faster.
- patch 28 February 2012 (Update):
- It is no longer possible to start a turkey farm using Mackers and a Menagerie, then reclaiming him multiple times from Diango.
- patch 13 December 2011 (Update):
- Reclaiming Mackers from Diango now correctly sets up the pet system so he no longer runs away.
- patch 28 November 2011 (Update):
- Mackers can now be used by players who have not completed the Wolf Whistle quest.
- Mackers can no longer be placed into a Player Owned House toybox.
- Mackers' chathead is now present when he is placed in a Player Owned House menagerie.
- Mackers is the first members-only holiday event reward that could be obtained by a non-member.
- When Mackers was first released, Wolf Whistle was a requirement to have Mackers follow you as a pet. Thus Mackers was the first holiday item to have a requirement other than the event itself (requiring an external quest and 4 Summoning). This was changed with the 28 November 2011 update.
- If the player talks to Mackers with cake or chocolate cake in inventory, Mackers will ask for cake and the player will admit to having some. However, this does not feed the cake to Mackers. The player must use the cake on Mackers to feed him.
- Mackers will not eat mint cake, celebration cake or 10th anniversary cake. If players try to feed it to Mackers, they will get the message: "Nope, Mackers only eats cake."
- Mackers says that he was promised cake only to find that there was none, which is a reference to Valve's game Portal.
- It was possible to store Mackers in a POH Toy Box; however, this function was removed in the 28 November 2011 update. Attempting to do so results in extra dialogue between Mackers and the player.
- If another player uses their cake on a Mackers not being under their ownership, he will refuse to eat it and say "No thanks."
- Before it was converted to an interface pet, it was possible to feed Mackers to a baby troll.