Didymus the Lorehound is a pet obtainable from May's Quest Caravan. It is unlocked by allocating at least 25 quest points to the pet track. Controls and outfit settings for this pet can be found in the customisation interface under the companion pets section.
More quest points can be allocated to the pet track to unlock bonuses and perks for the Lorehound. It can be upgraded to carry around emergency quest supplies, change its appearance, increase area loot range, and increase drop rates for lore books. The benefits of the Lorehound will only work in its normal companion form; overriding familiars will not provide Lorehound perks.
If a player owns the Master Quest Cape, they can examine their own Lorehound to see a unique examine message: Player is a Master of quests and has discovered all the hidden lore of Gielinor and beyond.
||Unlocks the base Lorehound pet.
||Lorehound pet can give a rope (488), a bullseye lantern (143), two law runes (532) (every two minutes), and a spade (1,904).
||The Lorehound can retrieve books from the POH bookcase when the player is in any bank area.
||Unlocks the ability to change the Lorehound's outfits. Each outfit has associated quest requirements:
||Having the Lorehound active increases the range of the area loot from 7x7 squares to 9x9 squares. (On RuneScape Mobile it increases the range of area loot from 17x17 to 19x19.)
||Having the Lorehound active increases the chance to find certain lore books: Last Riders (One Final Ride), Ripper Demons miner journals (Don't Fear the Ripper), Adamant Dragons (Dragonkin Logs), Monkey clue scroll (Clue's in the Monkey Drool), Varrock Dig Site (Sentient Letters), Naressa's journal (Dragonkin Diary), Ancient pages (Barbarian Scavenger and Otto the Ancient), The Magister's journal (Diary of Oreb), Scions of Erebus (Message from the Abyss), lore pages found while excavating, and story progress in Dream of Iaia.
|This article on a pet has an associated dialogue page.|
Click here for a transcript of possible conversations and other messaging related to this pet.
Scrolls concept art for the Lorehound
Fremennik concept art for the Lorehound
Elven concept art for the Lorehound
Pirate concept art for the Lorehound
Vampyre concept art for the Lorehound
Quest concept art for the Lorehound
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included—see here for how to help out!
- patch 9 May 2022 (Update):
- Increased chances for lore drops from skilling stations in Iaia when a Lorehound pet is summoned.
- patch 13 September 2021 (Update):
- The Lorehound pet will now affect the drop rates of Ancient Pages and Magister's Journal Pages.
- patch 4 May 2021 (Update):
- Fixed a minor graphical issue with the model of the Lorehound pet.
- patch 9 November 2020 (Update):
- The Lorehound pet now provides an increased chance to find lore pages while excavating.
- patch 7 October 2019 (Update):
- If a player examines a Lorehound, their own Lorehound will display their Quest points and another player's Lorehound will display their owner's Quest Points. If the player is a Master Quest Cape wielder, the owner's Lorehound will display a longer message only visible by the owner when examined.
- patch 22 July 2019 (Update):
- The Quest Outfit is now removed from the Lorehound pet if all quests are not complete, after obtaining the outfit previously.
- patch 1 October 2018 (Update):
- The pirate Lorehound skin now has poly colours when in minimum detail graphics.
- The secondary Lorehound skin will now display its owner's total quest points when examined.
- It is no longer possible to use the Lorehound familiar skins as familiar overrides if you have not unlocked them.
- Didymus used to be May's companion and has a brother called Fenton. It seems that Didymus was given to the player due to having a habit of claiming his master as his follower, while Fenton simply enjoys getting pets.