Shieldbow (bow type)
A shieldbow is a class of Ranged weapon that includes both a longbow and a shield-like attachment. Because of the attachment, these weapons provide defensive bonuses to armour and life points, as well as counting as a shield for enabling Defence abilities. However, it also allows two-handed Ranged abilities to be used.
Compared to shortbows, they have a lower damage value, but shieldbows generally have an extended attack range of 8 as well as their defensive properties. Effectively, a shieldbow is more similar to combining a one-handed crossbow with a shield, which has the same attack speed. While shieldbows have a damage bonus and enable two-handed abilities, it is less flexible as special shields cannot be swapped in (e.g. dragonfire shield). Note that the ammunition types differ also, and crossbow bolts can be enchanted while arrows cannot be.
This weapon class was introduced along with the Evolution of Combat, which converted most standard wooden longbows into shieldbows. Before they were simply stronger and slower versions of shortbows with a greater range. However, special longbows such as the crystal bow and zaryte bow were not converted into shieldbows, but instead to shortbows.
Stats[edit | edit source]
|Maple shieldbow (sighted)||45||Arrow||238||732||-||-||-||146||0||0||-||-||-||623 + 10,000 Dungeoneering tokens|
|Magic shieldbow (sighted)||55||Arrow||291||983||-||-||-||196||0||0||-||-||-||1,088 + 10,000 Dungeoneering tokens|
|Elder shieldbow (sighted)||65||Arrow||344||1299||-||-||-||259||0||0||-||-||-||2,421 + 10,000 Dungeoneering tokens|
|Strykebow||85||Arrow||450||2178||-||-||-||435||560||0||-||-||-||11,981,859 + 290,054 for each 20% charge|
Dungeoneering shieldbows[edit | edit source]
|Tier||Item||Levels to use|
|1||Tangle gum longbow||1 Ranged|
|2||Seeping elm longbow||10 Ranged|
|3||Blood spindle longbow||20 Ranged|
|4||Utuku longbow||30 Ranged|
|5||Spinebeam longbow||40 Ranged|
|6||Bovistrangler longbow||50 Ranged|
|7||Thigat longbow||60 Ranged|
|8||Corpsethorn longbow||70 Ranged|
|9||Entgallow longbow||80 Ranged|
|10||Grave creeper longbow||90 Ranged|
|11||Sagittarian longbow||99 Ranged|
God bows[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- Dungeoneering shieldbows now require the relevant Defence level to equip.
- patch 7 December 2015 (Update):
- patch 2 March 2015 (Update):
- Shieldbows now scale defensive abilities correctly.
- The dark bow now has a 70 Defence requirement.
- patch 24 October 2012 (Update):
- Longbows no longer clip through the player's body as they are being strung.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Shieldbows and defenders are the only types of equipment that count as more than one kind of equipment type.
- Dungeoneering shieldbows are referred to as longbows, as their names were unchanged with the Evolution of Combat.
- Since the Evolution of Combat, shieldbows are incorrectly held like two-handed crossbows on some characters when in combat stance while not actively shooting.
|Dyed noxious longbow|
|Dyed Seren godbow|
|Recoloured dark bow|