The logout button is used to log out of RuneScape, and is located to the top-right of the minimap, unless "Hide title bars when locked" is enabled in Interface settings. It is also shown regardless of this option if "Legacy Interface Mode" is enabled in Gameplay settings.
Upon clicking the logout button the options menu is displayed.
Players can log out at any time, although they must be out of combat for at least 10 seconds.
Inactivity[edit | edit source]
If a player does nothing (i.e. no clicking or typing) for 5 minutes, the player is automatically logged out to the Lobby.
Max time for a session[edit | edit source]
The player will also be logged out completely if they have been playing for 23 hours straight, regardless of activity. To log back in again they will need to restart the game client.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- ninja 10 July 2017 (Update):
- It is no longer possible to log out so quickly after gathering Cursed Energy.
- patch 27 April 2015 (Update):
- A warning now appears 5 minutes prior to the 23 hour automatic logout.
- ninja 16 March 2015 (Update):
- The 6 hour automatic logout has been extended to a 23 hour automatic logout.
- patch 26 August 2014 (Update):
- The size of the Options Menu has been increased to allow space for the Facebook logout check box.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In RuneScape Classic, the game automatically logged you off if you stayed in one spot for over 5 minutes, regardless of whether or not you were doing anything.
- The old logout button was a door.
- In the 'Behind the Scenes - January' news post, Jagex mentioned that the auto-logout time would be changed to 5 minutes instead of 90 seconds. The logout timer was changed from 90 seconds to 5 minutes on 13 January 2009.
- Before the ninja update on 16 March 2015 the forced logout time was only 6 hours instead of 23.
- In Fist of Guthix, if the player tries to log out, they receive the message: "You can't log out in the middle of a game. If you want to leave, use one of the exits." Forcing a logout by closing the game causes the player to forfeit the game, and lose 24 rating points.
- Originally, when the button was clicked, a confirmation interface was displayed instead the options menu, with two options: