A Login server is one of the 8 servers available in RuneScape that verify a player is valid, active, and not logged in elsewhere, after entering a username and password. A user may log in with a unique RuneScape account, or through one of the login methods below.
The login screen appears as the player prepares to log in. The username and password is sent to one of the login servers for verification before allowing the player to play the game on a game server.
During login server maintenance, there will be a one-eighth chance that any given player will not be able to sign on, as accounts are randomly assigned to one of the individual login servers. Even if there are multiple accounts using one IP address, some accounts from that IP address may be able to log in, and others may not be able to, due to different login server assignments.
Sometimes, when a game server crashes, you will be unable to immediately login again. This is due to the log in server showing your account as still actively logged in to the game server, thus refusing a second simultaneous log in. Normally, when you click to log out, the game server sends a message to the login server saying you have logged out. However, when a game server crashes, this message may not be sent, and your account is not reported as logged out to the login server. Once the crashed server is back online, it can report you as logged out, and you can then log on again.
Login methods[edit | edit source]
RuneScape supports multiple different login methods. These can be used by linking a third party provider to your account.
|Jagex Launcher||Windows, macOS|
Login music[edit | edit source]
Since the introduction of music in RuneScape 2, the login screen and lobby have featured various songs. The login music has usually been the RuneScape main theme, or some variation of it. It has changed over the years, often changing to unique songs to reflect the release of new updates and seasonal events.
Login screen[edit | edit source]
The user interface that the players use to interact with the login screen is login screen.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 20 March 2023 (Update):
- The music is now correctly muted when the 'globally muted' and/or 'music' options are toggled on when players log back in.
- patch 25 July 2022 (Update):
- Fixed an overlapping issue on the login menu for some mobile devices.
- Fixed an issue preventing error messages from closing on the login menu.
- Fixed an issue causing the transparency of the user interface to reset on desktop when repeatedly logging into mobile.
- ninja 18 July 2022 (Update):
- The login and lobby screens' text components have been replaced with TrueType fonts.
- patch 1 June 2021 (Update):
- Updated the font for the log-in flow to TrueType to increase readability on both the desktop and mobile clients
- patch 29 March 2021 (Update):
- The Log in Screen has reverted to its previous look.
- Added various 'close' buttons to popups in the Log in Screen.
- The overlay interface that appears when entering an incorrect password on log in now has a close button, as expected.
- patch 1 March 2021 (Update):
- Fixed some issues with the Settings overlay panel on the log in screen.
- Fixed an issue with the Steam client that could cause the log in UI to go missing.
- Fixed an issue on Steam which caused the Log In interface to disappear after logging out of the client.
- patch 12 October 2020 (Update):
- Ran log-in check to clean up any remaining older files and consolidate them into the newer stackable version.
- patch 13 July 2020 (Update):
- Updated numerous log in error messages to reference the game client rather than a web page.
- patch 29 June 2020 (Update):
- Sign in with Apple is now supported on iOS devices. As this is separate from GameCenter login, using this will create a new account by default.
29 June 2020 (
- Sign in with Apple is now supported on macOS devices.
- patch 21 May 2018 (Update):
- The "Forgotten your password" button text will now correctly display within the button bounds.
- ninja 23 April 2018 (Update):
- Players can now hide their username whilst logging in. This option is located beside the Remember Me checkbox on above password entry.
- coldfix 19 March 2018 (Update):
- Fixed an issue preventing an authenticator pin from being read when using Facebook or Google to log in.
- patch 30 October 2017 (Update):.
- The Dimension of the Damned login screen is now available.
- coldfix 24 April 2017 (Update):
- Players will no longer be disconnected upon logging into a game world.
- patch 9 May 2016 (Update):
- Made some minor graphical changes to the login screen, such as aligning text and updating some text colours.
- patch 21 January 2014 (Update):
- The minimap no longer appears black after a player has logged into game, out to the lobby, then back into game.
- patch 22 July 2013 (Update):
- An issue that was preventing players with no display name from logging in has been fixed.
- Some causes of players receiving a black screen on logging in have been fixed.
- patch 28 November 2012 (Update):
- Players will no longer receive an erroneous "loyalty shop items awaiting delivery" style message when logging into game.
- patch 24 April 2012 (Update):.
- The "Client token failure" login message has been updated to give more information on what the player needs to do to log in.
- patch 21 September 2010 (Update):
- The login screen should now re-centre immediately when adjusting the window.
- patch 20 October 2009 (Update):
- Adjustment to the login screen's code that automatically disables the fly-throughs on low-spec computers.
- update 15 October 2008 (Update):
- World selection has now been moved entirely in game.
- The in-game world switcher now shows lots of extra information, including suggested activities for various worlds.
- When logging in, the game will automatically choose a suitable world.
- Players can choose to play on a specific world, by choosing it from the world switcher first, and then pressing 'Log in'.
- The in-game world switcher now lets players select up to 2 worlds as favourites. Extra buttons for these worlds can be found directly on the title screen, and can be clicked to go straight to those worlds.
- Members see less adverts when playing on free worlds.
- The detail selection option has been moved into the game.
- The game will remember your last selection.
- The 'safe mode' feature is now automatic.
- If your game fails to load for any reason, it will detect the failure the next time it is loaded, and will automatically activate safe mode.
- A player can force safe mode by pressing the 's' key on the keyboard while the game is loading.
- Safe mode has been adjusted to only make the minimum changes needed to get the title screen to load. Changing other options can be done from the 'Graphics Options' menu on the title screen before logging in. Choices will then be remembered for next time.
- Unsigned mode is automatic.
- The ‘unsigned’ option has been removed from the Java options menu. The unsigned applet can still be accessed if needed. The selection process for it is now automatic. If the game cannot load in signed mode (either because you didn’t grant it permission, or your security settings do not allow you to grant it permission) it will fall back to the unsigned version.
- World selection has now been moved entirely in game.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The images of flames depicted on the old login screen (before the login screen update) are known as the flames of Lloigh-enn and are said to "require a spell recited most precisely, that is different for each individual who wishes to pass through." "Lloigh-enn" is based on "log in" and the "spell" recited is the player's password.
- The original flames of Lloigh-enn would briefly form the shapes of the rune symbols every few seconds. However, while holiday updates were in effect, these would be replaced with seasonal objects (pumpkins and crescent moons on Halloween, and snowmen and snowflakes at Christmas for example).
- The animated login screen would sometimes show NPCs walking outside their normal areas (e.g. Zaff walking around Varrock square).
- Before an update which removed the timer between switching worlds, the log in timer could start again from 40 or 30 after reaching zero. This usually happened when the login timer reached zero at the same time as the animated background re-loaded.
- The characters on the statis login screen before RuneScape 3 were the Signature Heroes: Ariane, Ozan, and Sir Owen.
- The previously used login screen backgrounds were found in the cache updated with a RuneScape 3 logo but those were never used.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Zamorak. Issue 23 - Zamorak Considers Some Issues. God letters. Jagex Games Studio. 2004-08-17. "what is the fire on the login page called? ... The flames of Lloigh-enn are an often rumoured, almost mythical, barrier between various dimensions, that require a spell recited most precisely, that is different for each individual who wishes to pass through. I am surprised a mere mortal has heard of them, let alone encountered them in person; I had thought them long since extinguished..."**
See also[edit | edit source]