|Release||17 November 2004 (Update)|
|doc • Talk page|
The lighthouse is a building found north of the Barbarian Outpost and far west of Rellekka. In order to unlock the door and enter the building, the quest Horror from the Deep must be started and the lighthouse key obtained. The lighthouse dungeon is a popular place to kill dagannoth for Slayer assignments. The lighthouse is run by Jossik, who can be found on the 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US] after completing Horror from the Deep.
History[edit | edit source]
Months ago, Silas was appointed keeper of the Lighthouse by the council, but he became mentally unstable with time due to the prolonged isolation coupled with the chittering coming from the basement.
One day, Silas investigated the basement and discovered the Dagannoth dwelling there. He became obsessed with them, aspiring to become a Dagannoth himself. In order to keep their existence a secret he built a massive iron door that could only be unlocked with four elemental runes, a sword and an arrow, all the while growing increasingly detached from his job and from reality.
Eventually, Silas attempted to "join" the Dagannoth and disappeared, leaving the Lighthouse unattended. He was presumed dead and his nephew Jossik was forced to replace him as keeper. He was allowed to sell items free of taxes as compensation.
Jossik was initially afraid of the local Fremennik, but he began to warm up to them as he saw his fears were mostly unfounded. The loneliness of his job began to affect him as it affected his uncle, when he met and befriended a local girl named Larrissa.
During the following months, Jossik and Larrissa slowly fell in love with each other. Meanwhile, Jossik continued investigating his uncle's fate, growing increasingly concerned with the noises he heard at night. At some point he gave Larrissa a spare key to the Lighthouse, in case anything should happen to him.
One night, Jossik heard a noise from beneath the Lighthouse. Knowing the front door was locked, he investigated the basement in search for intruders. When he got past the door his uncle built, Jossik was attacked by the Dagannoth and was injured badly enough that he could not escape on his own.
Larrissa returned during the following days and realised that something was amiss when she noticed the light in the top floor had gone out. She asked a passing adventurer for help, who proceeded to retrieve her key from her cousin Gunnjorn in the Barbarian Outpost, fix the bridge separating the peninsula from the Fremennik Province and restore the Lighthouse to working order. After unlocking the basement door, the adventurer found Jossik, who warned them about the Dagannoth who attacked him. The adventurer then defeated the Dagannoth Mother, allowing Jossik to escape to the surface.
Getting there[edit | edit source]
The Lighthouse is in a somewhat remote area. Players can get there from the Barbarian Outpost by jumping across the northern columnar basalt rocks that protrude from the sea. It is possible to slip on the rocks, which results in the player falling into the water, being swept back to shore, and taking damage. It is noted that having an Agility level above 35 increases the likelihood of successfully jumping across the rocks. Players seem to have a lot of trouble getting over the rock as the character "fails" to jump over it several times.
Another route of access is via a bridge, which is fixed during the quest. The bridge is located in the south-western part of the Fremennik Province. If the bridge has not been fixed, the player can jump across it, but this will cause damage.
There are several teleports that arrive near the Lighthouse:
- Lighthouse Teleport which teleports the player directly to the lighthouse.
- Helm of the Dagannoth/Mask of the Dagannoth have a teleport option to the lighthouse (twice per day).
- A games necklace teleport to the Barbarian Outpost.
- Barbarian Teleport in the Lunar spellbook, which teleports to the Barbarian Outpost.
- House Teleport, if the player's house is at Rellekka (or, after Love Story, using a Rellekka tablet, no matter where the player's house is set).
- An Enchanted lyre teleport to the entrance to Rellekka.
- Lodestone to Fremennik Province
The Lighthouse[edit | edit source]
The Lighthouse is the start point of the quest Horror from the Deep, and is where most of the quest takes place. It cannot be entered until Larrissa, who stands outside the Lighthouse, gives the player the Lighthouse key. After unlocking the door for the first time, the key is no longer needed.
Ground floor[edit | edit source]
The ground floor[UK]1st floor[US] has the stairs to the 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US] and a metal ladder to the basement.
First floor[edit | edit source]
The 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US] is the room for the Lighthouse's tender. It contains a bed, bookcase, two sets of drawers, and stairs leading up and down.
Jossik can be found here after the player rescues him in the quest. He replaces Silas as the keeper of the Lighthouse. Jossik runs a general store in this room. Besides the usual items like hammers and rope, the store also sells:
- Poison. This is not Weapon poison. Instead, it is a poison that is used in some quests, such as Ernest the Chicken.
- Pestle and mortars and Vials, both of which are used mostly for Herblore.
- A large variety of alcoholic beverages: Brandy, Dwarven stout, Gin, Greenman's ale, Grog, Vodka, Whisky, and Wizard's mind bomb.
Second floor[edit | edit source]
The 2nd floor[UK]3rd floor[US] contains the light and its mechanism. The player repairs the mechanism during the Horror from the Deep quest.
The Lighthouse building is difficult to see from the ground, but a better view of it is possible on this floor.
Basement[edit | edit source]
The basement contains the ladder back up, a small pool of water, and a door to the north. Beyond the door is a foyer with a ladder down into the dungeon.
At first, the door is a "strange wall" which the player activates during the quest. Once activated, the wall becomes two one-way doorways. The eastern door is used to enter the foyer from the basement and the western one is used to enter the basement from the foyer.
After the quest you can re-enter the dungeon by clicking on the piece of plank wall beside the door ("open wall"), since clicking on the door itself will only show a puzzle.
Dungeon[edit | edit source]
The dungeon is a single large chamber. The westernmost part is a pool of water, presumably connecting to the sea outside, while the rest is dry land.
After the quest, the dungeon is crawling with many dagannoth. The dagannoth here, although moderately strong, are inaccurate in their attacks and are not as powerful as their levels suggest. The level 74 dagannoth shoot spikes at players as a rather poor ranged attack, and the level 92 dagannoth attack with a slightly more accurate close-range bite. Many dagannoth wander about near the entrance ladder, so players should be prepared for combat as soon as they descend into the dungeon.
Personalities[edit | edit source]
Monsters[edit | edit source]
Quests[edit | edit source]
- Horror from the Deep (required to enter the Lighthouse)
Music[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 9 August 2021 (Update):
- Added a left-click option to fix the light in the Lighthouse during Horror from the Deep.
- ninja 1 October 2018 (Update):
- Added climb-top & climb-bottom options to the Lighthouse and windmills that have three floors.
- patch 26 February 2018 (Update):.
- Four new teleport scrolls have been added to all clue scroll tiers that teleport players to the Lighthouse, the Clocktower, Gu'Tanoth entrance and to the Treasure Trail hub at the main Grand Exchange entrance.
- patch 13 November 2012 (Update):
- A ladder in the Lighthouse dungeon has been rotated to make it conform to the laws of physics.
- patch 6 September 2011 (Update):
- Some old-style dripping sounds have been removed in the Lighthouse dungeon.
- patch 17 November 2009 (Update):
- Adjusted the models for the lighthouse so it renders better in Standard Detail.
- patch 26 October 2009 (Update):
- Updated the minimap graphics for the stepping stones to the lighthouse.
- patch 20 January 2009 (Update):
- The Lighthouse bulb has been replaced with a brighter one and should look better.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The dungeon can be seen from the foyer by the ladder, but it will appear empty, since the foyer and the dungeon are on different levels.
- Players given dagannoth on Slayer assignments often use this dungeon.
- Some players use Dwarf multicannons in the dungeon.
- There are no banks near the Lighthouse, but a quick route to a bank and back to the lighthouse consists of using a ring of kinship to quickly get to the Daemonheim banker, teleporting to the Barbarian Outpost, and traversing the basalt rocks up to the Lighthouse.
- The columnar basalt rocks from the Barbarian Outpost to the lighthouse may be a reference to the Giant's Causeway in Ireland.
- During the Horror from the Deep quest, when a player enters the Lighthouse, the player is actually entering a copy of the lighthouse. This copy is entered and used only during the quest.
|Part 2 of the Fremennik quest series|