|Release date||4 May 2005 (Update)|
|Location(s)||Prifddinas, Hefin Clan district|
|Actions||Travel, Travel across cavern, Travel into cavern, Examine|
- A shimmering creature of blue light.
- That one is carrying someone!
|NPC ID||2021, 2022, 4325, 8454, 8455, 20274, 20275, 20276, 20277|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Light creatures are a race of creatures resembling light that can be found in the Lumbridge Swamp Caves and Hefin Clan district of Prifddinas. Lady Hefin describes them as "an animal, emotion unchained by thought".
The ones found near Juna in the chasm within the Lumbridge Swamp Caves can be used to cross it by using a Sapphire lantern on them during the Tears of Guthix quest. During and after While Guthix Sleeps, they can also be used to go down into the chasm into the Ancient Guthix Temple, where Tormented demons reside.
Those found in the Hefin district of Prifddinas can be found around the Agility course. One gives rewards for the course, one rarely appears on the roof of the Hefin Cathedral as a shortcut that takes players to the end, and another can be found on top of the Hefin Tower, which serves as the true end of the course.
The light creatures were made by their unnamed creators, a godless race who are described as having bodies as delicate as snowflakes. The light creatures were the products of the race's crystalline city, which is said to have had spires reaching into the sun that drew rainbows of light down through the precious gems that studded the towers, creating light creatures at the height of the gem-cast light shows. The city and its creators were destroyed during the early God Wars, leaving the light creatures as the only survivors.
At some point, some of them made their way underneath Lumbridge into the swamp caves, where they reside to this day. Some were also drawn to the largest of Seren's remnants after her shattering - the Dark Lord - and were corrupted into Shadows. Finally, after the restoration of Prifddinas in the early Sixth Age, some made their way there, as it reminded them of their own crystal city, and the elves were happy to let them stay.
Light transport. (click to play)
Being sucked into the creature. (click to play)
The concept art for the light creature's graphical update.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- ninja 18 August 2014 (Update):
- The light creatures in the Tears of Guthix cave now have right-click options to choose to take you either across or into the chasm.
- patch 11 December 2013 (Update):
- An issue where light creatures in the Tears of Guthix cavern would get stuck behind rocks, causing the player to freeze, has been fixed.
- As mentioned in the Official RuneScape Behind the Scenes (No. 24) Video, the Tears of Guthix (D&D) was updated alongside the Tears of Guthix cavern and its inhabitants.
- There was a glitch where if a light creature is stuck when it is attracted by a sapphire lantern, the player would be unable to move or log out.
- ^ Hefin: A Vision of the Light Creatures, written by Lady Hefin, RuneScape. "There was a mind here, as of an animal, emotion unchained by thought."
- ^ Juna, RuneScape. "Myriad and beautiful were the creatures and civilizations of the early ages of the world. Gielinor was a work of art, shaped lovingly over the millennia by the creative mind of Guthix. Only the sturdiest races survived the God Wars, and even then by only abandoning their high culture and gearing the societies towards war. Of the more delicate races there is now no trace, and almost no memory. One such race had bodies as fragile as snowflakes, yet they built crystal cities that stood for a thousand years. The wind would whisper through the spires and fill them with street harmonies, and the rising sun would shine through the precious gems that studded the towers and create inter players of light as if rainbows were dancing. Indeed, so marvellous was this light-show at it's height that the patterns of light themselves became alive, and the great flocks of luminous creatures rode along the gem-cast beams, each drawn to its own colour. The creatures you see floating in this chasam are the last sorry remnants of that age. I do not know how they made their way here and survived to this time, but I am grateful for their company."
- ^ Lord Amlodd, RuneScape. "My belief is that they are attracted to certain beings who share their affinity to light. And, though this is just my theory, I belive when our lady shattered, they were drawn to the largest of her remnants. We all know how that worked out - all the Dark Lord nonsense. Yet we see it as our duty to cleanse these creatures of light as much as it is to cleanse Seren."
- ^ Hefin: A Vision of the Light Creatures, written by Lady Hefin, RuneScape. "When the gods went to war, their opening salvos blasted the city to nothing and left no survivors save the light creatures. They had no god to protect them. My heart ached for the creatures and their loss. On behalf of my city, I offered them refuge. Prifddinas is not their long-lost home, but it is similar enough that it will give them some comfort."