Legacy Mode is the name for two options in RuneScape that simulate gameplay prior to RuneScape 3. Legacy Combat Mode instates a revised version of the old combat system before the Evolution of Combat, and Legacy Interface Mode replaces the customisable interface with one resembling the interface from 2009. Both modes function independently of the other. Legacy Mode was released on 14 July 2014.
Players using Legacy Combat Mode do not have access to abilities, adrenaline, or any of the Combat Settings. Attacks are either auto attacks or special attacks. Damage and life points are all scaled down by a factor of 10, although this is only a visual effect.
The interface in Legacy Interface Mode has the same design and skin as that from older versions of RuneScape. Most menus that are textured blue are re-skinned as brown.
The release of Legacy Mode brought a number of changes from the Combat Improvements Beta to the main game, including the reintroduction of special attacks, a changed combat level formula, and removal of life point bonuses from most armour. The release also reintroduced skulling and removed the previous Wilderness mechanic of losing all items upon death.
Either option of Legacy Mode can be enabled by ticking the relevant box in Options Menu > Settings > Gameplay > Miscellaneous > Legacy Modes.
- Legacy Combat Mode
- Legacy Interface Mode
- Legacy Interface Skin (colour change only)
To return to the modern modes, disable the relevant Legacy Modes by clicking to un-tick the above Legacy boxes.
Legacy Interface[edit | edit source]
When Legacy Interface Mode is enabled, the RuneScape interface changes to an interface that looks similar to 2009.
- Several new buttons have a slightly different style to them, compared to the original 2009 interfaces.
- The inventory is fully opaque, whereas in 2009-2011, it was slightly transparent and also used a different border.
- The chatbox transparency can be customised.
- Buffs and debuffs icons along with sheathing can be toggled at the combat tab, then right clicking the combat icon .
- The combat tab is now only used to select what experience is being earned; it cannot be used to switch a dagger between slashing and stabbing, for example.
- If not in Legacy Combat Mode:
- Abilities are found in the magic book tab for all combat classes.
- Only the primary action bar and one additional action bar can be present on screen
- Badges, Filter, "Always-on Chat" and Server-wide Announcements can be toggled by right clicking the "All" tab in the chatbox. The chat box is in always-on mode by default.
Unlike in the modern interface mode, the ability to customise, move windows around and have multiple windows open is unavailable.
Before implementing Legacy Mode, Jagex considered multiple different interface styles: blue or brown. Most players preferred the older, brown-themed interface from 2009-2011.
Combat[edit | edit source]
Legacy Combat Mode introduces a combat system similar to that which existed before the Evolution of Combat. This means that abilities are not available, the adrenaline system is disabled, action bars are not available, the 'ability damage' metric is not used, and wielding stances are modified. Legacy combat simply attacks with the weapon every few ticks (depending on the attack speed); equivalent to auto-attacks in modern combat. In addition to the combat changes, players see the old hitsplat graphics, and displayed life points on all entities are divided by 10. Many key bindings - everything related to action bars, as well as several related to combat like quick prayers, special attack, and familiar action - are disabled.
Legacy Mode users have the overall damage of their auto-attacks increased. The maximum hit of a legacy auto-attack is approximately 2.3× weapon damage, and the minimum hit is approximately 0.759× weapon damage.
To help suppress any effects this would have on PvP between Legacy Mode and modern combat players, Legacy Mode only and EoC only worlds were implemented.
While no abilities are usable in Legacy Combat Mode, special attacks can be used. In order to activate your weapon's special attack, you must go to the Combat Settings pane (the tab with the two swords crossing) and click the special attack bar. Special attack energy replenishes 10% every 30 seconds. Legacy combat can also utilise the Provoke ability by right-clicking an equipped tier 90 shield (Vengeful kiteshield, Merciless kiteshield, Malevolent kiteshield).
In modern combat, equipment bonuses have a hidden decimal place which can slightly alter damage potential (see here for more information) - this remains true for legacy, but as the values are divided by 10 the effect can be much more noticeable. The full number is used in damage calculation, not the truncated display seen on weapons and in the loadout interface.
Damage comparison with modern combat[edit | edit source]
Auto-attacks in Legacy combat (if they do not miss) can hit a maximum of 230% of the total damage of the weapon (including other equipment strength bonuses), and a minimum of 33% of the maximum hit (which is 75.9% of weapon damage). As they are auto-attacks, main- and off-hand weapons have their damage values separated. To compare this to other combat modes, it can be converted into an equivalent to average ability damage per tick (see Revolution for more on this):
- Hits are uniformly distributed, so the average damage of a hit will be effectively 152.95%
- A fastest speed weapon does damage every 4 ticks
- The damage of slower weapons is scaled to their attack speed, such that it is proportional and so the ratios would work out the same
- Thus the average damage per tick is 38.33%
For comparison, many basic-abilities-only Revolution bars are around 30% AADPT. However, it is common for bars that incorporate thresholds and ultimates ("Revolution++") to go above 40%, or higher.
Legacy combat can benefit from most Invention perks as normal, aside from the perks that explicitly apply to abilities (e.g. Mobile does nothing for legacy combat). Notably, the Precise and Equilibrium perks have a much larger impact on legacy mode than first expected - even a modest Precise 3 and Equilibrium 2 gizmo increases the minimum hit from 75.9% weapon damage to around 94.5% weapon damage, increasing the AADPT to just over 40%.
As a challenge mode[edit | edit source]
As legacy combat has no access to many utility abilities, players sometimes use it as a challenge mode when killing monsters designed for modern combat, like Araxxor, Telos, the Warden, or Elite Dungeons. Players doing long streaks or high enrages in legacy combat are a way to show combat prowess.
Development history[edit | edit source]
Reception and controversy[edit | edit source]
Feedback on Legacy Mode has arguably been mixed. Some players believe that legacy brought back former RuneScape players who have left since the release of Evolution of Combat, while others believe that legacy did not bring back players and even made some current players leave. However, the Power to the Player poll results suggests that the majority of players have given positive feedback and that Legacy was largely anticipated.
A repeated part of feedback was for the option to separate Legacy combat and interfaces, so that players could use the old combat system with the modern interface, or the modern combat system with the old interface. After being developed in the 2015 combat beta, this was released on 27 April 2015.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 7 June 2021 (Update):
- Resolved an issue with the Legacy Interface mode that was causing the additional Action Bar to be hidden if the Chat was also hidden.
- patch 11 January 2021 (Update):
- patch 7 September 2020 (Update):
- Fixed an issue where players' names on the Examine interface would change to 'Inspect Player' when switching to Legacy Mode.
- patch 10 August 2020 (Update):
- Certain interfaces (including the Smithing interface and Treasure Hunter) now scale properly while resizing the window with Legacy Interface Mode enabled.
- patch 3 August 2020 (Update):
- The 'Upgrade' button no longer overlaps with the 'Report' button while inspecting another player in Legacy UI mode.
- The Upgrade button no longer obscures the 'Examine Player' window for free-to-play players in legacy interface mode.
- patch 27 July 2020 (Update):
- Tooltips for potions that restore health now display the correct stats in Legacy Combat Mode.
- patch 27 January 2020 (Update):
- Legacy combat users will no longer be able to see creatures walking about with 0 hit points.
- patch 18 November 2019 (Update):
- Fixed legacy combat auto retaliate in the fight caves after killing Tz-kih.
- patch 11 November 2019 (Update):
- Allowed a player to escape from Legacy Mode during Burthorpe tutorial.
- patch 4 November 2019 (Update):
- Allowed players to escape from Legacy Mode during Burthorpe tutorial.
- update 28 October 2019 (Update):
- Switch buttons tooltip and functionality have been corrected on additional action bars in legacy mode
- patch 21 October 2019 (Update):
- Fixed an issue where players in Legacy combat mode were switched into Revolution when gaining a level in a combat skill.
- Signature heroes in the Burthorpe troll cave now have a confirmation prompt if choosing the option to set up your action bars if you are in Legacy combat mode.
- When the interface is set to legacy mode, if the player has the second action bar active, the original action bar will no longer break the extra action bar if you switch the number. The extra action bar's arrows will also now change the bar being shown.
- patch 14 October 2019 (Update):
- Legacy interface now displays a close button while inspecting another player from the group interface menu.
- Verac the Defiled's set effect now works correctly in legacy combat.
- patch 22 July 2019 (Update):
- Coins added/withdrawn to your money pouch is now aligned correctly in Legacy.
- Text in drop down menu's is now left-aligned in Legacy interface mode, as it is in the default interface mode.
- patch 10 June 2019 (Update):.
- The secondary action bar can be no longer be accessed in legacy combat mode.
- When selecting an additional action bar in legacy interface mode, it will no longer disappear when changing to EoC interface.
- patch 3 June 2019 (Update):
- An issue with an additional legacy TLI action bar appearing when opening the world map has been fixed.
- patch 18 February 2019 (Update):
- The options menu in legacy interface mode will now close when using the ESC key.
- patch 26 November 2018 (Update):
- Players in legacy mode are once again able to find the path system interface.
- ninja 20 August 2018 (Update):
- Attacks' hitsplats rounded down by Legacy Mode no longer display zero damage when actually dealing very small amounts.
- patch 29 May 2018 (Update):
- Fixed an issue that occasionally caused scroll bars to break when swapping between legacy and non-legacy UI modes.
- patch 23 April 2018 (Update):
- A scrollbar will no longer occasionally appear in the inventory when in Legacy interface mode.
- Stopped the player getting stuck in a sheath position whilst completing Children of Mah if legacy combat mode was active.
- patch 15 January 2018 (Update):
- The lodestone minimap and world map icon has been updated to use its own recoloured graphic in Legacy interface mode.
- update 6 November 2017 (Update):
- To ensure that a balance is struck when fighting monsters in different modes, we've increased the average floor damage given by both Legacy combat and special attacks: Legacy PvM combat has had it's minimum hit upped to 33% of damage potential. Up from the previous 0%. The special attacks in Legacy and EoC have been buffed to shift 20% of random damage onto the existing damage floor.
- ninja 23 October 2017 (Update):
- The Ring of stone interface in legacy mode has been updated to improve the clarity of the text.
- ninja 2 October 2017 (Update):
- Minigame interfaces such as the Menaphos reputation and Port interface are now aligned with the top of the screen in Legacy Mode.
- patch 14 August 2017 (Update):
- Resolved an issue with the last used quick prayer option not working correctly when in Legacy interface mode.
- patch 7 August 2017 (Update):
- Legacy-styled icons have been added to certain interfaces in Legacy interface mode, such as the Wardrobe.
- patch 13 February 2017 (Update):
- An issue with the Legacy skin which caused columns in the backpack to not appear correctly has been fixed.
- patch 24 October 2016 (Update):
- The player's chat head when wearing the karasu mask no longer clips through the Legacy interface.
- ninja 17 October 2016 (Update):
- Parent interfaces in Legacy interface mode have been updated to match the Legacy theme.
- patch 26 September 2016 (Update):
- Fixed an issue where additional action bars that had been enabled were not being restored correctly if changing from legacy interface mode to non-legacy mode.
- ninja 22 August 2016 (Update):
- patch 25 July 2016 (Update):
- The in special attack bar Legacy interface mode has been moved back to its previous position.
- patch 16 May 2016 (Update):
- Changing between Legacy and non-Legacy interface modes will no longer change the combat XP options.
- patch 9 May 2016 (Update):
- The golden outline no longer remains when slowly moving the cursor away from the ribbon in Legacy interface mode.
- patch 25 April 2016 (Update):
- Fixed an issue that was causing both EoC (Evolution of Combat) and Legacy interface mode keybinds to trigger simultaneously.
- patch 29 February 2016 (Update):
- Players returning to RuneScape after an extended break are now set into legacy combat and interface mode by default.
- patch 8 February 2016 (Update):
- Removed an erroneous box that was lingering on the chat settings in Legacy interface mode.
- patch 5 October 2015 (Update):
- Abilities which were previously not displaying their cooldowns in the ability book in Legacy interface mode will now display correctly.
- patch 24 August 2015 (Update):
- The border on the Legacy inventory interface displayed in the bank has been re-aligned.
- patch 20 July 2015 (Update):
- A missing Minigames icon in the Artisan's Workshop while using the Legacy interface has been restored.
- patch 13 July 2015 (Update):
- Borrowed weapons will now correctly drain special attack energy in Legacy combat mode.
- ninja 22 June 2015 (Update):
- Legacy players no longer deal reduced damage when fighting against Araxxor and Araxxi.
- patch 8 June 2015 (Update):
- The ring of death heal splat now shows the correct value in Legacy mode.
- ninja 11 May 2015 (Update):
- Players can now toggle broadcasts in Legacy interface by right-clicking the 'All' button.
- patch 5 May 2015 (Update):
- Players can now use the WASD keys to move the camera in the various Legacy modes.
- Custom keybinds will no longer trigger incorrectly when typing in chat in Legacy interface mode.
- patch 26 January 2015 (Update):
- The 'XP Gained' pop-up is no longer displayed over the life points icon in Legacy mode.
- patch 12 January 2015 (Update):
- The position of the grave timer has been shifted slightly left in resizeable Legacy Mode to prevent it being obscured by the UTC clock.
- ninja 5 January 2015 (Update):
- Numerous animations in Legacy Mode will no longer stop the player from running.
- patch 1 November 2014 (Update):
- Corrected the world map, clan citadel and dungeoneering map icons in Legacy mode.
- patch 6 October 2014 (Update):
- Split private chat will now hide correctly when the chat box is minimised in Legacy mode.
- patch 29 September 2014 (Update):
- The combat mode icon will no longer display in the buff bar in Legacy Mode.
- Disabling buff timers in Legacy will no longer hide them in EoC as well.
- patch 22 September 2014 (Update):
- patch 15 September 2014 (Update):
- The text in the chat box when typing in Legacy Mode has been moved up slightly so it does not conflict with the chat buttons.
- It is now possible to zoom in and out in Legacy Mode using the Page Up/Down keys.
- Life points in Legacy mode now display correctly in the grouping system.
- Split private chat will no longer be hidden while the player has an info box open in Legacy mode.
- Players in Legacy mode can no longer be constantly blocked from attacking by Asphyxiate while fighting Ikadia, Echo of Jas or Dragon-hunter mage.
- patch 8 September 2014 (Update):
- It is no longer possible to toggle between Legacy and EoC in the Combat Academy area.
- patch 1 September 2014 (Update):
- It is no longer possible to toggle between Legacy and EoC mode within a duel.
- patch 26 August 2014 (Update):
- Some world map icons in Legacy mode have been corrected.
- The chat tabs in Legacy will now flash blue for a short period and remain blue until the appropriate tab or the all tab is selected.
- patch 18 August 2014 (Update):
- New polls will now highlight correctly whilst in Legacy Mode.
- The eggsterminator no longer makes you sheathe your weapons if you had them unsheathed in Legacy Mode.
- Attack styles are saved in EoC and Legacy modes independently.
- The bonds pouch now correctly opens if you do not have your inventory visible in Legacy mode.
- The clan avatar options are now accessible again from the summoning icon when in Legacy Mode.
- Your combat level displayed in the hero interface will no longer have a duplicate reference next to it.
- Casting Vengeance will no longer delay auto attacks.
- The damage of Ket-Zek has been reduced to be much closer to the original
- The FPS display has been moved slightly to the left.
- patch 4 August 2014 (Update):
- Some incorrect minimap icons displaying in Legacy Mode have now been corrected.
- The Polypore Dungeon no longer displays EoC damage multiplication hit splats in Legacy mode.
- Some graphical issues with monkey greegrees in Legacy mode have been fixed.
- An issue with the Queen Black Dragon displaying a smaller HP bar in Legacy mode has been corrected.
- Heroic Crit splats now show the correct values in Legacy mode.
- Sigmund and the Pest Queens' Dominion Tower descriptions have been update to account for changes made with Legacy mode.
- The heal value for Redemption has been corrected in Legacy, and a heal hit splat has been added for when it is triggered.
- The 'Legacy' toggle has been added to the cog options on the action bar.
- A toggle has been added when switching between Legacy/EoC to hide the confirmation prompt.
- patch 28 July 2014 (Update):
- The tooltips over the health and prayer icons have been disabled in Legacy mode, to avoid obscuring the values when quick switching prayers.
- The healing hit mark has been recoloured from pink to purple to better represent how it looked before.
- The Berserk ability effect has been updated to clear when changing between Legacy and EoC.
- Lent items now use the relevant special attack correctly.
- Special attack energy now restores correctly within certain areas in Legacy mode.
- Auto-Retaliate now does not make the player retaliate in revolution when it is toggled off with a weapon in hand.
- Players are now able to click out of channelled abilities.
- Shadow spells now correctly reduce damage dealt from their target.
- The Blood Burst and Blood Barrage spells have been altered so they do not increase the player’s special attack energy in Legacy mode.
- Helmets will now apply the hybrid nerf to accuracy as expected.
- Void Knight armour has had its set effects rebalanced.
- When changing to Legacy mode, the combat XP options will be set to the non-defensive options to prevent players gaining unwanted defence XP.
- Bass now heals the correct amount of life points.
- The special attack bar no longer drains if target is too far away.
- The Enhanced Excalibur special attack no longer persists in duels where the option is disabled.
- The ancient mace special attack now correctly drains prayer again.
- patch 22 July 2014 (Update):
- The Amulet of Glory has been rebalanced to ensure that an Amulet of Fury remains the better choice.
- Tooltips now scale lifepoint values between Legacy and EoC combat modes.
- The tooltips on a couple of abilities have been updated to highlight information better.
- The Flurry ability no longer deals magic damage when used with Korasi's sword as a main-hand weapon.
- References to critical chance bonuses in the Dungeoneering rewards shop have been amended to list respective strength bonuses instead.
- The teleblock casting animation in legacy mode has been updated.
- Players can now block combat challenges correctly at 138 combat.
- Attempting to cast a spell with a drained Magic level will no longer deselect the autocast spells.
- Queued spells are now cleared from previous duels if the players next duel has Magic disabled.
- The hitmarks being displayed in Conquest have been corrected in Legacy mode.
- The mini-map icon in EoC mode has been reduced in size.
- Nomad's combat level has been corrected.
- Using the Unicorn Stallion scroll (Healing Aura) will no longer drain special attack in Legacy Mode.
- An issue with the loadout interface displaying 9900 lifepoints instead of 990 in legacy mode has been fixed.
- The Quick Chat menu no longer repeatedly opens when the option has been toggled off.
- Emotes can no longer be dragged in Legacy mode.
- Vorago's chat will now refer to 5,000 and 7,000 entry damage when in Legacy Mode.
- The Staff of Light special attack will no longer give the berserk effect when it runs out.
- The lucky Saradomin sword and Saradomin sword now have matching stats.
- Dragonbone mage armour no longer has a magic level requirement to equip.
- Incorrect messages about requirements for ceremonial swords have been removed.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Most monsters had their combat levels multiplied by 0.7 with the release of Legacy Mode. This is an approximation of the relation between the maximum combat levels of 200 and 138. Some exceptions include the Barrows brothers, Muspah, and Nihil, whose combat levels remain unchanged.
- Additionally, most major bosses, such as the God Wars Dungeon bosses, the Fight Kiln monsters, the King Black Dragon, the Kalphite Queen, the Giant mole, the Corporeal Beast, the Chaos Elemental, the Dagannoth Kings, and Nomad had their original combat levels restored. Bosses that only existed after the Evolution of Combat, such as Vorago, the Kalphite King, Legiones, and Araxxor were assigned a custom-set level.
- On 22 August 2016 (update), the multiplier for legacy mode combat was increased from 2.07 to 2.3. This was to account for increases in the potency of the new combat mode since the release of legacy mode.
See also[edit | edit source]
- Update:Legacy Mode Launch, Global Combat Improvements and Gear Guide
- Update:Poll - Legacy Combat
- Update:Legacy Mode Beta - Coming 16th June
- Update:Legacy Mode Beta - Now Open
- Update:Legacy Mode Beta - Update
- Update:EoC/Legacy Mash Up
- Update:Going Like Clockwork - Revolution Updates
References[edit | edit source]