King Botolph Remanis is a former king of Misthalin. He is known to have held the throne from the end of the Fourth until at least 20 of the Fifth Age, although the exact length of his rule is unknown.
During the transition into the Fifth Age, Misthalin's use of magic allowed the kingdom to expand and purge it of most non-human races, who fled west, where many human tribes still lived in small settlements. The subjects of the Donblas tribe's small kingdom urged their King Raddallin to join Botolph's kingdom like the other tribes had, but this was prevented by Lord Valzin, a wealthy Varrockian nobleman.
In 17, King Botolph ordered a sewage system to be built beneath Varrock Palace. The blueprints were soon made, but by the end of the project, these had been given a complete overhaul roughly five times. In fact, the sewers ended up being built beneath the entire length of the city. These are the famous Varrock Sewers that still exist today. In order to build the sewer system, King Botolph commissioned many miners, masons, and architects. It is believed that amongst the miners was the famous hero Wally, who slew the demon Delrith in the year 20.
Although he was regarded as a fair king, Botolph started to become mad toward the end of his life, paranoid about the possibility of assassins. He therefore commissioned a tower to be built into the palace, with only one entrance and a winding stairs, so he could live with little chance of being assassinated. It is in this tower that he would spend the last of his days.
Family[edit | edit source]
|Roald I †||Tarrlo †|
|Unknown||Henry †||Hywell †||Bran †||Tenebra †||Unknown||Jerrod|
|Roald II †||Unknown||Tarquin|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- King Botolph is possibly a reference to Saint Botolph, whose church is in Boston, England. It is properly called 'St. Botolph's Church' but is more commonly called 'The Stump'.
- A church and lane named after St Botolph are also present in Cambridge, England, home of Jagex.
|Eventually King Claudius||King of Misthalin||Eventually King Roald II|
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ The History of the Kinshra, "The Death of Chivalry", RuneScape. "Using their magic, the humans claimed the lands for their own, ushering Gielinor into the Fifth Age. As Botolph proudly declared, it was 'the Age of Man'. The borders of the ancient realm of Misthalin expanded, and tribes of men, hungry for sanctuary, readily pledged themselves to King Botolph Remanis of Varrock."
- ^ Jagex. "Eulogy for a Forgotten Hero." RuneScape Lores and Histories.
- ^ T.S. Church. Legacy of Blood, (467). Titan Books, 2012.