A player wearing full Karil's set.
Karil the Tainted's equipment is a set of Ranged armour and crossbow from the Barrows minigame. Completing the Barrows minigame does not guarantee players will get a Barrows item. The armour and weapon require level 70 Defence and level 70 Ranged to wear/wield. As Karil uses Ranged, his armour gives a high Magic defence rating, making it popular for fighting enemies with powerful Magic attacks. The crossbow, unlike many other crossbows, requires a special type of ammunition called Bolt racks. Bolt racks can be obtained by opening chests in the Barrows minigame, buying from Ak-Haranu on the Port Phasmatys docks for 420 coins each, trading with another player, or purchasing through the Grand Exchange.
A player activating Karil's set effect, Tainted Shot.
Karil's Taint: Each successful hit has a chance of reducing the target's Magic level by five.
This effect works in both player killing and against regular monsters.
Karil's Equipment Grand Exchange cost[view] • [talk]
|Karil's coif||523,623 [graph]|
|Karil's top||1,568,182 [graph]|
|Karil's skirt||903,760 [graph]|
|Karil's crossbow||5,138,752 [graph]|
|Karil's pistol crossbow||683,615 [graph]|
|Karil's off-hand pistol crossbow||765,522 [graph]|
Barrows equipment degrades as it is used. Equipment received from the Barrows minigame is fully repaired and can be used for 100,000 charges of combat until it degrades completely and requires repair before it can be used again; it does not suffer in performance as it degrades from fully repaired to fully degraded. The remaining charges of Barrows equipment can be checked by right-clicking it and selecting 'check-charge'. Additionally, Barrows equipment may only be traded if fully repaired or fully degraded. Items lose 20% charge if reclaimed from a gravestone after dying.
There are two ways to repair Barrows armour. Players can talk to any of the NPCs listed below and they will repair the items for a price, or repair the pieces themselves using an armour stand in any player-owned house for a reduced cost based on their Smithing level. The equipment can be repaired at any stage, and the cost will be adjusted according to how much it has degraded. The repair costs below are as if the equipment has fully degraded.
The following NPCs can repair the armour:
|Costs to repair
||POH armour stand
|Level 1 Smithing
||Level 99 Smithing
|The price is exactly 50% when operating a Smithing cape.
template = Barrows repair/calc
form = repairForm
result = repairResult
param = level|Smithing level (1-105)|1|int|1-105||
param = price|price|990000|hidden|||
|The result will appear here when you submit the form.|This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- ninja 10 June 2019 (Update):
- Various combat equipment sets now have set effects listed in tooltips.
- patch 8 June 2015 (Update):
- Karil's weapon and armour pieces no longer have a Grand Exchange buy restriction of 1. This has been changed to 10 to match all of the other parts of Barrows equipment.
- patch 11 June 2013 (Update):
- Updated a cutscene in the Love Story quest to include the updated Karil's armour.
- patch 23 March 2010 (Update):
- Optimised some of the code dealing with repairing Barrows items.
- Karil's set has a buy limit of 10 per 4 hours, while its individual components have linked buy limits of 1 / 4 hours. If you buy any one individual piece of this set you can not buy another for 4 hours. This is most likely an oversight by Jagex yet to be corrected.
- Before the update on the 14 January 2013, Karil's equipment had the effect Tainted Shot. If the attack was successful, Tainted Shot had a chance of lowering the target player's Agility level by what was hit by 20%.