Karil the Tainted
|Karil the Tainted|
|Release||9 May 2005 (Update)|
|A vengeful spirit corrupted by dark magic.|
|Equipment XP (2H/MH & Armour/OH)|
|52 / 35 / 17|
6 ticks (3.6s)
|Not immune||Not immune||Not immune||Not immune|
|Links||bestiary • MRND|
|FAQ • doc|
Karil the Tainted is the fourth oldest of the six Barrows brothers. Karil's crypt is located in the lower south end of the Barrows area. He attacks with ranged using his 2-handed crossbow and bolt racks.
Karil's set effect: Karil's Taint, allows his hits to have a chance to reduce the player's magic level. When this effect is activates an animation and a sound effect are triggered, and the player will suffer a loss of a Magic level. This effect is not very damaging to a player if they are not using magic, particularly if Overloads are used. Regardless, his hits are rather accurate so protection prayers/curses are advised. Soul split can also be used, but should only be utilised by experienced players.
During the Morytania-Misthalin wars, the Barrows brothers were devastating the Undead armies, cutting through their lines with ease. Karil was known for his secrecy and accuracy in battle; "Should any enemy manage to survive long enough, and have the chance to strike a blow, Karil would fire a swathe of bolts to pepper their chest as they took their swing, throwing them back" (this is a quote taken from The Fall of Six under the Lores section of RuneScape).
History[edit | edit source]
Early History[edit | edit source]
Karil, along with his brothers, maintained a small farm. Eventually, Guthan convinced him and the others to join the crusade.
Kindred Spirits[edit | edit source]
Karil and his brothers made an appearance in Kindred Spirits, where he was chained with Torag, with Guthan attempting to keep balance between the pair and Commander Jaycliff. He was disappointed upon hearing that Guthan had betrayed them all to Sliske after killing Jaycliff. Sliske had set up the games to reveal the secrets of the brothers, but what Karil had kept hidden from his brothers is unknown, as the game was interrupted when Meg failed to impersonate the World Guardian.
2016 Easter event[edit | edit source]
During the 2016 Easter event, Karil the Tainted and his brothers play a role as the workers (bobble-numbskulls) of Sliske's chocolate factory. They resembled their bobble-head versions.
Sliske's Endgame[edit | edit source]
Karil, along with his brothers, appeared in Sliske's Endgame, being the second intended wave in Sliske's attempts to destroy the World Guardian. However, the Barrows Brothers had managed to regain a modicum of control over their own actions, and chose to aid the World Guardian, attacking Sliske's wights and champions.
Drops[edit | edit source]
Karil does not drop his main rewards directly; instead, his equipment is added as possible rewards from the Barrows chest. See Barrows#Rewards for more information. However, Karil can directly drop the following items:
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE price||High Alch|
|Ghost hunter goggles||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Ghost hunter body||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Ghost hunter legs||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Ghost hunter backpack||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Ectoplasmator (m)||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Ghostly essence (m)||1–2||Very rare||4,145-8,290||60-120|
|Deployable herb burner (m)||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Cremation||1||1/1000||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 11 January 2021 (Update):
- Various bosses around RuneScape have taken their Santa Hats off for another year.
- patch 23 October 2017 (Update):
- The right-click options on Barrows brothers spawned by other players have been removed.
- patch 3 March 2014 (Update):
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Along with the graphical update on 4 January 2012, his combat level was increased from 98 to 121. Due to the Evolution of Combat, his combat level has been raised to 150.
- Although Karil uses range, he can do more damage to players with melee armour than Ahrim can, even though Ahrim uses battle magic. This is because Ahrim also uses his high-level curse spells on the player and occasionally uses his Fire Wave, unlike Karil, who just has a basic ranged attack.
- Despite being a ranger and using his own armour (which would have high magic defence), before the Evolution of Combat, he could be hit extremely often with magic attacks. This would suggest that he would have a low magic level, or may be an oversight from Jagex.
- Before a hidden update that affected Karil's and Torag's sets, Karil drained Agility levels from the player.
- Karil's crossbow seems to be based off the real life Chu-ke nu, an ancient Chinese crossbow that used a rapid fire system. If this is true, this could also explain why Ak-Haranu sells the required bolt racks, as he is from the Eastern Lands and the Eastern Lands seem to be based on the ancient/medieval Far East. This supports the idea that Sliske, who gave the Barrow Brothers their armour, obtained them from the Eastern Lands.
- In "The Fall of Six", Karil is depicted as being the fastest of the brothers, though since the Evolution of Combat update his crossbow is not as fast as other crossbows.
- In the wallpaper, Karil, along with Guthan and Ahrim, hold their weapons in one hand although all Barrows weapons are two-handed.
- In Rise of the Six, Karil uses his regular crossbow, however, he holds it in one hand when running. When attacking, he uses the same animation for a two-handed crossbow.
- Unlike the other brothers, Karil does not give bonus experience when killed with Ghost hunter armour.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Jagex. Mod Stu's Twitter account. 17 November 2017. (Archived from the original on 22 January 2019.) Mod Stu: "Had a look at the code: * It only drops on member worlds * Looks like a 1/1,000 drop chance, no modifiers * It just flags a variable and messages "You have unlocked the ability to burn bones on bonfires!", so it's easy to miss you've unlocked it"
|This template is about the Barrows brothers|