Karil's top is ranged armour worn in the torso slot that is part of Karil the Tainted's set of barrows equipment. To wear Karil's top, a player must have 70 Defence.
Being part of Karil's barrows set, if Karil's top is worn along with all of the other pieces of equipment in Karil's barrows set the player receives a special effect. The set effect gives a chance a hit lowers the target's Magic level. This piece of armour cannot be made using the Crafting skill.
Karil's top is only tradeable when undamaged or fully broken.
Barrows equipment degrades as it is used. Equipment received from the Barrows minigame is fully repaired and can be used for 100,000 charges of combat until it degrades completely and requires repair before it can be used again; it does not suffer in performance as it degrades from fully repaired to fully degraded. The remaining charges of Barrows equipment can be checked by right-clicking it and selecting 'check-charge'. Additionally, Barrows equipment may only be traded if fully repaired or fully degraded. Items lose 20% charge if reclaimed from a gravestone after dying.
There are two ways to repair Barrows armour. Players can talk to any of the NPCs listed below and they will repair the items for a price, or repair the pieces themselves using an armour stand in any player-owned house for a reduced cost based on their Smithing level. The equipment can be repaired at any stage, and the cost will be adjusted according to how much it has degraded. The repair costs below are as if the equipment has fully degraded.
The following NPCs can repair the armour:
|Costs to repair
||POH armour stand
|Level 1 Smithing
||Level 99 Smithing
|The price is exactly 50% when operating a Smithing cape.
template = Barrows repair/calc
form = repairForm
result = repairResult
param = level|Smithing level (1-105)|1|int|1-105||
param = price|price|270000|hidden|||
|The result will appear here when you submit the form.|
This list was created dynamically. For help, see the FAQ
To force an update of this list, click here
For an exhaustive list of all known sources for this item, see here
- ^ There is further information on this drop; see the associated page for details.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 1 February 2016 (Update):
- Karil's top can now be augmented in Invention.
- ninja 17 December 2013 (Update):
- Armours no longer degrades from players taking damage from the desert heat or bugs in dark areas.
- patch 16 January 2012 (Update):
- Karil's top no longer uses the old inventory model when not at full charge.
- patch 23 March 2010 (Update):
- Optimised some of the code dealing with repairing Barrows items.
- patch 28 July 2009 (Update):
- Added sounds to help you determine when your Barrows equipment gets broken.
- In a hidden update on 17 March 2010, Jagex changed the name of this item from "Karil's leathertop" to "Karil's top".
- At one point, the entire Karil's set could be bought for slightly over 200k. The price has risen since then due to the release of the Corporeal Beast, the God Wars Bosses, including Nex, the primary popular bosses that require a large magic defence bonus to fight efficiently.
- There is currently a glitch that happens while Fishing with a harpoon. The top will lift up on your character, which will expose a thin line of your avatar's skin.
- After the graphical update, when your Karil's top degraded to 75, the inventory icon reverted to the old graphical appearance of Karil's top. This has been patched.
- The old effect was on successful attacks with Karil's crossbow against a player, there is a chance that it may temporarily lower that player's Agility level.