|Release||11 June 2001 (Update)|
|Quest item||Pirate's Treasure|
|High alch||18 coins|
|Low alch||12 coins|
|On death||Always lost|
|A very strong spirit brewed in Karamja.|
|Links||MRID • recipe|
|FAQ • doc|
Drinking the rum lowers Attack by four, raises Strength by three, and heals 625 life points. Like other attack-lowering drinks (for example, beer), it will not unequip your weapon if your level falls below the requirement.
Actions that will destroy Karamjan rum[edit | edit source]
Karamjan rum is extremely difficult to remove from Karamja. If it is in the inventory when a player attempts to sail off the island, the customs officer will confiscate it. While a player can charm the Customs officer into not doing so while wearing the ring of charos (a), the player will still not be able to get it off the island as they dance for joy and the rum falls out of their backpack. Attempting to take the rum on the ogre boat results in the ogre kids saying that Rantz told them that rum is bad. If a player attempts to teleport with the rum in the inventory or use the player-grown spirit tree in Brimhaven, the rum bottles will instantly break (the same happens when attempting to enter a POH portal). When using the ship west of Shilo Village, you get the message: During the trip you lose your rum to a sailor in a game of dice. Better luck next time!
Nor can a player bring the rum to the bank in Shilo Village or TzHaar. A monkey will steal the rum if a player attempts to take the Shilo Village cart system from Brimhaven to Shilo Village, and if a player tries to climb over the broken cart outside the village, they will drop the rum, whether or not they climb the cart themselves or ask Mosol Rei to take them inside. The high temperatures in the volcano around TzHaar will make the bottles explode regardless if the rum is in the player's inventory or in their bank whilst the quest is active. Upon disappearance, players receive a message in the chatbox, "Why is the rum gone?" This is a humorous reference to Pirates of the Caribbean.
Using the gnome glider in the southeast will result in Captain Klemfoodle fooling the player and stealing the rum from them.
Smuggling Karamjan rum[edit | edit source]
The primary method is the one used during Pirate's Treasure. Players obtain a job at the local banana plantation, fill the crate outside the shack with bananas, and use the rum with the filled crate. Later they can retrieve it in Port Sarim. This can only be done during the quest.
Players can add banana slices to the rum or stuff a banana into the rum, resulting in Karamjan rum (sliced banana) or Karamjan rum (banana). They can be taken off Karamja with more teleportation but are useless items for Pirate's Treasure.
There are other methods to remove regular Karamjan rum from the island.
- Use a Pack yak and Pack Yak scroll (Winter Storage) to bank it immediately.
- Use the Eagle transport system from the Jade vine maze.
- Players whose membership expires when they are in a members-only area of Karamja with the rum in inventory are teleported to Lumbridge with the rum still in inventory.
- After Deadliest Catch, deposit the bottle(s) in the bank deposit box on the beach north west of Tai Bwo Wannai.
- After Deadliest Catch, deposit the bottle(s) in the bank deposit box in south end of the Herblore Habitat.
- If you have not yet given a Karamjan rum to Redbeard Frank then you can simply bank the first bottle of rum you get for the quest at the deposit box and then go and fill another crate of bananas. This will not work if you have finished the quest or given Redbeard Frank the first bottle, when you try to put the rum in the crate it will say that you have no need to smuggle the rum off the island.
- Using a legendary pet's banking ability.
- After completing the elite Karamja achievements, entering Shilo Village using the shortcut to crawl under the north fence allows players to bank the rum and freely teleport away.
Store locations[edit | edit source]
|Dead Man's Chest||Brimhaven||27||Coins||10|
|Karamja Wines, Spirits, and Beers||Karamja||30||Coins||10|
Disassembly[edit | edit source]
|Disassembly category||Food and herbs|
|Item quantity required||1|
|Base junk chance||72.5%|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 6 September 2021 (Update):
- The hover/longpress tooltip for various drinks now includes a description of their specific stat buffs and debuffs.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Attempting to use Karamjan rum on the Big Book o' Piracy yields the message: "This rum isn't anywhere near potent enough to recharge your teleports - note the distinctive lack of quote marks. Only Captain Braindeath's 'rum' will suffice!"
- Prior to certain updates, players could not drink the rum at all.
|Part 1 of the Pirate quest series|