|Release date||4 May 2005 (Update)|
|Quest NPC||• The Chosen Commander|
• Death to the Dorgeshuun
• Tears of Guthix
• The World Wakes
• Desperate Times
|Location(s)||Tears of Guthix cavern|
|Actions||• Talk to|
• Tell story
|Examine||• An ancient giant serpent.|
• An ancient serpent, and loyal Guardian of Guthix.
|NPC ID||2023, 16930, 16963, 26306|
|Infobox • (multi) • Talk page|
Juna is a large snake and a legendary Guardian of Guthix. She is very ancient and is known to have been on RuneScape in its Second Age, thus making her well over 6,000 years old. At the end of the Third Age, as one of Guthix's most loyal followers, she was tasked by him to protect the Tears of Guthix cave, which she has done for millennia. Her separation from Guthix led her to idolise him out of desire to be with him again. She plays a role in the Tears of Guthix quest, the Dorgeshuun quest series, and The World Wakes.
Players can talk to her to start the Tears of Guthix Distraction and Diversion. She will let them into the cave she guards once every seven days, as long as they have gained 100,000 total experience or one quest point in that week.
History[edit | edit source]
Before Juna hatched, Guthix had to choose between saving Juna's home world or saving Gielinor. He chose to save Gielinor because there were more living things there, and lured Tuska to Juna's home world with a fountain of anima. Guthix had hoped to save more of Juna's species, but Tuska arrived too quickly after placing the lure, and in the end he was only able to bring two eggs with him: Juna and her sister. To his dismay, Juna's sister died before hatching, leaving Juna as the last of her species. The god made her one of his Guardians. During the Third Age, there was a great war among the gods. When Guthix awoke, he put a stop to the violence and then returned to sleep again. However, as he descended to the depths, he took pause to rest. Thinking of the destruction that had been brought on the world he found, loved, and shaped, Guthix wept and, as a result of his deep grief, the very rocks wept with him. Realising that his essence had become a part of the rocks, Guthix assigned Juna to guard the spot and judge who was worthy to enter.
At some point, Ocellus, an insane Guardian of Guthix, tried to get samples of the tears for further research. Juna disagreed with his idea, and no longer agreeing with his plan, she no longer allowed him to obtain the tears. Despite her protests, Ocellus stole some from her.
At some point, Juna met the Dorgeshuun when a few still surface-like cave goblins found her cave and instinctively attacked, prompting Juna to protect the tears and sweep them into the chasm. She would not meet any more goblins until Zanik first visited her. As time passed, Juna became bored and asked any adventurers who visited to entertain her with stories of the world above.
Juna and Zanik[edit | edit source]
After The Chosen Commander, Juna can be spoken to and will scold the player for helping Zanik defy the gods but is not an enemy of them. Juna further explains that Guthix may believe that the player will benefit the gods in the future, so she has decided not to punish the player.
When asked "I thought you and Zanik were friends?" she will say that they're friends no more and that she'll "never deal with the blasphemer again." Ironically, by claiming that the player has betrayed all the gods by defeating Bandos, she is essentially betraying Guthix. If Bandos had been allowed to remain, it only seems logical that he would raise an army of goblins and such creatures and repeat what happened on Yu'biusk upon Gielinor, destroying nature in the process.
However, after The World Wakes, when speaking to Juna, she confesseses that due to her constant and unconditional servitude to Guthix, her thoughts and feelings became twisted, only focusing on fulfilling the task her master gave her. She loved Guthix not only because she thought him to be the most benevolent god but also because he had chosen her as his servant.
When Juna saw that Bandos had picked Zanik as his chosen commander and that she refused, she thought that Zanik's actions were a great offence.
In her isolation, Juna had separated from the way of Guthix, giving herself a different idea of balance and idolising him, hoping that she could see him once more, and he would praise her. After Guthix's death, Juna realised that by defying Bandos, Zanik had followed the true path of Guthix.
Truly regretful, Juna hopes that someday Zanik will forgive her.
Juna and Zaros[edit | edit source]
Juna has shown some controversial feelings about the returning of Zaros. When speaking to Juna about The Temple at Senntisten quest, she will say that there is finally a "shift towards balance" in reconnecting the portal to communicate with Zaros. This would imply that she has no problem with his return. However, when speaking to her about The Firemaker's Curse quest, Juna says that she cannot look kindly upon the return of Zaros. This has caused much questioning about Juna's opinions towards Zaros.
In a Postbag from the Hedge (Postbag 46), a player asks Juna why she seems to have these conflicting feelings. As a reply, Juna told a story about herself before and why she was made the Guardian of Guthix. At the end of the reply, she tells the player that her answer is hidden within her story, only to been found if the player has the heart to understand it. Her answer, despite some belief, is not literally "hidden" in the story, needing to be decrypted, but the story itself is simply a reference to her beliefs. Juna believes that while it is balance for a person who has a connection with their god to still know they are spiritually with them (like she had with Guthix through his tears), it is unbalanced for a person to want their god to physically be with them.
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 20 April 2015 (Update):
- A summary for Dishonour among Thieves has been added when speaking to Juna about past adventures.
- patch 16 March 2015 (Update):
- A typo in the dialogue with Juna about Bringing Home the Bacon has been fixed.
- patch 13 August 2013 (Update):
- Juna now plays the correct animation if a player exits the cave immediately after entering it.
- patch 2 April 2013 (Update):
- Juna has a small amount of new chat for players who have completed both The Chosen Commander and The World Wakes.
- patch 7 September 2010 (Update):
- Juna didn’t realise that Sheep Shearer and Witch’s Potion are no longer quests.
- patch 21 April 2009 (Update):
- You can now discuss more of the quests you have completed with Juna when telling her stories.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- When telling Juna about the war between Miscellania and Etceteria during the Royal Trouble quest she will say "War, what is it good for?" the player replies, "Absolutely nothing!" This is a reference to a song, 'War', by Edwinn Starr, which has the same lines in the song.
- Although Juna is a snake, and snakes have no eyelids, her chathead blinks.
- After telling Juna about Nomad's Requiem, she says," Impressive...Most impressive." This could be a reference to Darth Vader's famous line in Star Wars.
- Juna was conceived as a reverse of the biblical snake in the Garden of Eden, who tempts Eve to disobey God's wishes. Juna, however, keeps people away from a sacred location rather than trying to entice them.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Juna, "The World Wakes", RuneScape. "We were friends, in happier times. Before the God Wars... Cres?"
- ^ Jagex. Postbag 20 - "Transcript:Tales from earlier ages", Letter 1, by Juna. RuneScape Postbags from the Hedge.
- ^ Guthix, RuneScape. "It was a choice you see. It had to be one world or another and I chose the other world. Numbers. Pure numbers. There were more of them, then there were of you."
- ^ Guthix, RuneScape. "So, I placed the lure on your world, a fountain of delicious anima for the blind beast to sniff out. [...] I wanted to save more of you. So I grabbed two eggs, you and your sister. [...] I would have saved more, but the beast was on your world so fast [...]"
- ^ Guthix, RuneScape. "I thought I could save you. I thought all you needed was me to look after you, but only you hatched. Only your egg survived."
- ^ Juna, RuneScape. "Later, Guthix noticed that the rocks continued to weep, and that their tears were infused with a small part of His power. So He set me, his servant, to guard the cave, and He entrusted me the task of judging who was and was not worthy to access the tears."
- ^ Ocellus, History of the Order, RuneScape. "Guthix left us power of runes. Also left us power of His tears. Cave of tears guarded by Juna. Juna no longer agrees with plan. Denied access to tears. No matter. Followers infiltrate cave. Take tears."
- ^ Jagex. "The Chasm of Lights." RuneScape Lores and Histories.
- ^ Jagex. Mod John A's Twitter account. 16 December 2013. (Archived from the original on 16 December 2013.) Mod John A: "I conceived Juna as a reverse of the Biblical snake. She keeps people away from a sacred location, rather than tempting them."
|This template is about Juna|
|Quests and miniquests|
|Postbag from the Hedge issues|