Strategies for Ironman Mode
Ranged is one of the 3 combat styles.
Armour[edit | edit source]
Weapons[edit | edit source]
This section lists primary weapons. Weapons used for their special effects are listed in #Other equipment.
|6||-||Kayle's chargebow||The Blood Pact||Chargebow (does not use ammunition, but can use special arrows)|
|20||20||Willow shortbow||Lowe's Archery Emporium||Bow (fires arrows)|
|30||30||Maple shortbow||Lowe's Archery Emporium||Bow|
|40||40||Yew shortbow||Lowe's Archery Emporium||Bow|
|50||50||Rune crossbow & Off-hand rune crossbow||Valaine's Shop of Champions||Crossbows (fire bolts)|
|60||60 59||Red salamander||Hunter||Salamander (fires tar)|
|70||70 50||Crystal bow||Roving Elves||Augmantable chargebow|
|70||70 67||Black salamander||Hunter||Augmentable salamander|
|70||70||Blisterwood stake & Off-hand blisterwood stake||Branches of Darkmeyer||Thrown|
|75||75 150||Vanquish (ranged)||May's Quest Caravan||No ammunition|
|75||75 61||Hand cannon||Chaos dwarf hand cannoneers||Augmentable hand cannon. Can explode, if augmented will drain extra charge.|
|78||78||Sunspear (ranged)||River of Blood||Augmentable, no ammunition|
|80||80 80||Chaotic crossbow & Off-hand chaotic crossbow||Dungeoneering tokens||Augmentable crossbow|
|80||80 90||Attuned crystal bow||Attuned crystal weapon seed||Augmentable chargebow|
|87||87 85||Decimation||Wilderness slayer||Augmentable chargebow with useful special attack|
|90||90||Noxious longbow||Araxxor||Augmentable bow|
|90||90 95 94||Ascension crossbow & Off-hand ascension crossbow||See below||Augmentable crossbows|
|92||92||Seren godbow||Telos, the Warden||Augmentable chargebow with useful special attack|
|92||92||Blightbound crossbow & Off-hand Blightbound crossbow||Solak||Augmentable crossbows that sometimes save bolts|
|92||92||Eldritch crossbow||The Ambassador||Augmentable crossbow with useful special attack|
2-handed versus dual wield[edit | edit source]
For ranged, dual wield will perform a little better than 2-handed equipment. This is because Needle Strike is a lot better than Dazing Shot. Greater Dazing Shot makes up some of the difference against high health enemies, but needle strike is still generally better.
However, because of Ruby bakriminel bolts (e), crossbows perform much better than regular bows at high level.
Ammuntion[edit | edit source]
Damage tier is the minimum of weapon and ammunition tier, meaning there is no penalty for equipping better arrows, as long as it matches the type of weapon used.
|10||10||Iron arrows||Lowe's Archery Emporium|
|20||20||Steel arrows||Lowe's Archery Emporium|
|30||30||Mithril arrows||Lowe's Archery Emporium|
|40||40||Adamant arrows||Lowe's Archery Emporium|
|50||50||Runite bolts||Crossbow Shop (Dwarven Mine), Hickton's Archery Emporium, Valaine's Shop of Champions|
|50||50 55 55 Smoking Kills||Broad-tipped bolts||Unlock with 300 slayer points.|
|60||60 39||Tarromin tar||Tar can be obtained from aberrant specters, cave slimes or Big chinchompa.|
|70||70 44||Harralander tar||Tar can be obtained from aberrant specters, cave slimes or Big chinchompa.|
|75||75 Forgiveness of a Chaos Dwarf||Hand cannon shot||Chaos dwarf hand cannoneer|
|80||80 60||Royal bolts||Queen Black Dragon|
|90||90 90||Ascension bolts||Fletch from ascension shards|
|95||99 95 93 85||Gem-tipped Bakriminel bolts||Bloodwood tree, see bakriminel bolts page for relevant boosts|
Bakriminel bolt types[edit | edit source]
There are 5 relevant types of bakriminel bolts. This calculator compares them:
- Ruby bakriminel bolts (e) deal high damage against high health target but deal some self-damage.
- Diamond bakriminel bolts (e) deal damage with increased accuracy.
- Dragonstone bakriminel bolts (e) deal increased damage.
- Onyx bakriminel bolts (e) deal increased damage, heal but are difficult to obtain, increase death costs if taken in high quantities and the bolt tips could be alched for a lot of gold pieces.
- Hydrix bakriminel bolts (e) increase adrenaline but have all the onyx bolt drawbacks while also requiring attention to use correctly.
Ascension Crossbow guide[edit | edit source]
After reaching 99 slayer players get access to the Sunken Pyramid, which they can fill with capsarii (5 souls are required to fill a room). With the correct setup and the equilibrium aura, enough damage can be reached such that every capsarius is killed in 1 hit in legacy mode. These are 3 common setups:
Sunspear setup[edit | edit source]
This setup uses the least charge and supplies and is easy to achieve, but has a theoretical cap of 1,000 kills per hour. The cap cannot be reached due to uneven spawn speeds inside the pyramid.
- Use an Augmented Sunspear (ranged).
- Sunspear perks: Precise 5 and the highest rank of Scavenging.
- No augmented top or legs necessary.
Attuned crystal bow setup[edit | edit source]
- Use an Augmented attuned crystal bow or an Augmented Zaryte bow.
- Bow perks: Precise 6 and Ruthless 3.
- Requires overloads (holy aggroverloads, aggroverloads or holy overloads recommended, in that order).
Decimation setup[edit | edit source]
This setup can reach the same theoretical cap of 1,200 kills per hour but does not need overloads. However, decimation requires Wilderness slayer.
Hexhunter setup[edit | edit source]
This setup is the highest theoretical kills per hour but requires an extremely rare drop. This setup does not always 1-hit, but the high damage of the hexhunter bow makes up for it.
- Use an Augmented hexhunter bow.
- Bow perks: Precise 6 and Ruthless 3.
- Requires overloads.
- Requires ammunition, araxyte arrows are the easiest to get.
[edit | edit source]
- The Equilibrium aura is required for this. It works 2 hours by default or can be extended to 4 hours with 40 vis wax. Note that the Equilibrium perk does not stack with the aura.
- Use the Overpowering Force prayer with the Amulet of zealots. This gives a consistent +16% damage boost. Leech Range Strength occasionally drops to +12% on legacy leading to missed one-hits.
- If possible play on RuneScape mobile. The area loot area is larger.
- For a pet/familiar, these are the best options in no particular order:
- Legendary pet with the scavenging ability and a yak pouch. Requires banking roughly every 2 hours (sometimes sooner).
- Pack yak with Winter Storage scrolls. Requires no banking but works best on mobile.
- Lorehound pet with the increased area loot ability. Take enchanted notepaper to 'bank' the signets.
- Either an Augmented Armadyl chestplate or an Augmented Armadyl chainskirt with the Scavenging 4 and Enhanced Efficient 4 perks.
- Aggression flasks. If going 2 hours, take 3 (6) doses. Can be combined with overloads through aggroverloads or holy aggroverloads.
- Prayer renewal flasks. If going 2 hours, take 3 (6) doses. Can be combined with overloads through holy overloads or holy aggroverloads.
- Enhanced Excalibur for additional healing.
- Spring cleaner for drop cleaning. Capsarii drop tiny spiky rune salvage, medium plated adamant salvage and various battlestaves.
- Alternatively, take alchemy runes for the above drops. This is a more efficient than using components (the salvage can still be disassembled for free with the spring cleaner).
- Best in slot ranged bonus equipment which does not degrade. Options include:
- Anima core helm of Zamorak or Armadyl helmet.
- Anima core body of Zamorak or Armadyl chestplate, if using augmented legs or Sunspear.
- Anima core legs of Zamorak or Armadyl chainskirt, if using augmented body or Sunspear.
- Armadyl gloves or Demon slayer gloves. If using hexhunter bow, Cinderbane gloves with weapon poison+++ can provide additional kills.
- Armadyl boots or Demon slayer boots.
- Tirannwn quiver 4 or below for the prayer bonus.
- Archers' ring (i) or Asylum surgeon's ring (i) since luck has no effect.
- Any illuminated god book in the pocket slot. If none have been completed, the spring cleaner goes in the pocket slot. If using the hexhunter bow, the superior scrimshaw of cruelty can increase kills per hour at a cost of 2.5 ancient bones per hour.
- Constitution cape for healing or Defence cape for hardcore safety. If the skillcape stand in the Anachronia base camp is unlocked (or the Max cape has been unlocked), use a TokHaar-Kal-Xil or Ava's alerter.
- Ancient elven ritual shard (optional) for additional prayer restore.
- Lantadyme incense sticks (optional) for decreased potion usage. Note that prayer renewals will restore less prayer per minute with these active.
Other equipment[edit | edit source]
|Ava's alerter||-||Do No Evil||Once unlocked permanently collects ammunition. High ranged bonus.|
|Dark bow||70 70 90||Dark beasts||Useful special attack, but deals less damage.|
|Fleeting boots||80||Raksha, the Shadow Colossus||Allows the wearer to use rapid fire while moving.|
|Hexhunter bow||80 99||Soulgazers, always use Seeker charms||Augmentable bow with high damage against certain enemies.|
|Mechanised chinchompas||75 50||Invention||Deal damage in a 3 by 3 area.|
|Nightmare gauntlets||85 , Children of Mah||Nightmares, 1/2000 on task||Allows the wearer to use snipe while moving.|
|Ranged cape||99||Armour Salesman||Makes bakriminel bolts more likely to activate.|
|Superior scrimshaw of cruelty||80 92||Player-owned Ports||Increases damage by 6.66% for 4 hours.|
|Swift gloves (black)||See page||Dominion tower||Deals additional damage, lowers stats and binds but degrades quickly.|
|Wyvern crossbow||85 96||Wyverns, 1/2000 on task||Augmentable crossbow, deals increasing damage over time against a single target.|
Unlockable abilities[edit | edit source]
|Corruption Shot||Liberation of Mazcab drop||70||Additional basic||Deals high damage over time, spreading to adjacent targets.|
|Death's Swiftness||The World Wakes||85||Additional ultimate||Adds 50% damage for 30 seconds as long as the user stays in a 5 by 5 area.|
|Demoralise/Rout||Unspeakable horrors||58||Additional basic/threshold||Knocks back target, but puts Binding Shot/Tight Bindings on cooldown which have a longer bind. Unlike binding shot, demoralise cannot be combined with Piercing Shot.|
|Greater Dazing Shot/Salt the Wound||Shattered Worlds||60 (90 in ranged, melee or magic recommended)||Replacement basic/additional threshold||Adds a damage over time effect. Salt the Wound deals damage depending on how high this damage over time is.|
|Greater Ricochet||Raksha, the Shadow Colossus||45||Replacement basic||Adds damage, especially in conjunction with the Caroming perk.|
|Shadow Tendrils||The Dig Site||75||Additional threshold||High damage threshold ability that also deals damage to the user.|