Strategies for Ironman Mode
Introduction[edit | edit source]
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Money making
- 3 Food and Potions
- 4 Dailies
- 5 Skills
- 6 Where to gather ingredients/items
- 7 Mini-Guides
- 8 Equipment
- 9 Boss strategies
As an Ironman, the Grand Exchange cannot be used and trading between players is strictly limited. All supplies and equipment must therefore be obtained from their original sources, through bossing, gathering skills, and other limited ways. Coins are still needed for many exchanges within Ironman, Managing Miscellania, such as instance fees, and purchasing spirit shards for training Summoning. High Level Alchemy is a very useful spell to unlock early for easier access to coins. Runecrafting level of 44 is also useful to create the nature runes required for high level alchemy. Although high level alchemy can be used to produce coins, some items are not worth alchemizing and can be sold to general stores.
While coins are a valuable income to strive for, quests play a big part in the early game, as many experience rewards allow players to skip multiple levels at once. In addition, quests open up more content exclusive to the player, such as bosses or skilling methods. A good example for Woodcutting would be the Dragon hatchet from the Dagannoth Kings and the Inferno adze from All Fired Up, the only two level 61 hatchets within the game.
Valuable Starter Quests[edit | edit source]
|The Knight's Sword||12,725 Smithing experience.|
|Fight Arena||12,175 Attack and 2,175 Thieving experience.|
|The Fremennik Trials||Allows creation of skeletal, rock-shell, and spined armour.|
|Jack of Spades||Access to Menaphos, mainly important early for Corrupted Scarabs.|
|In Search of the Myreque / In Aid of the Myreque||Unlocks Temple Trekking for skilling supplies|
|Temple of Ikov||10,500 Ranged and 8,000 Fletching experience.|
|Waterfall Quest||13,750 Attack experience, 13,750 Strength experience, two diamonds, and two gold bars.|
|Witch's House||6,325 Constitution experience.|
Milestone Quests[edit | edit source]
Players with a total of 150 quest points can unlock a free set of tier 75 hybrid armour as well as a tier 75 hybrid weapon from May's Quest Caravan, next to the Varrock lodestone.
|Beneath Cursed Tides||Unlock access to the Giant Oyster monthly Distraction and Diversion.|
|The Branches of Darkmeyer||Unlock tier 70 non-degradable weapons.|
|Deadliest Catch||Unlocks deposit chests used for gathering supplies while skilling.|
|King's Ransom||Unlocks Piety prayers and equivalent variants.|
|Lunar Diplomacy||Lunar equipment, Lunar spellbook|
|Plague's End||Access to Prifddinas.|
|River of Blood||Unlocks an augmentable sunspear.|
|Royal Trouble||Unlocks Managing Miscellenia for skilling supplies.|
|Sliske's Endgame||1,250,000 experience in skill(s) level 85 and above, and a set of skilling items.|
|The Temple at Senntisten||Unlocks Ancient Curses.|
|The World Wakes||A plethora of rewards, including Sunshine, 8 experience lamps, and additional experience rewards, with more rewards if all the recommended quests are completed.|
Milestone Items (No Quest Requirements)[edit | edit source]
|Nature talisman||Allows crafting of Nature runes for casting the High Level Alchemy spell.|
|Ring of life, Sign of life||Reduces the chance of deaths, extremely important for Hardcore Ironmen.|
|Bonecrusher, Twisted bird skull necklace||Awards free prayer experience while killing monsters that drop bones, and allows use of prayers in combat without using prayer potions.|
|Dragon hatchet||Requires killing Dagannoth rex to obtain, and greatly speeds up levelling Woodcutting|
|Dragon mattock||Dropped by dinosaurs in Big Game Hunter. Players that wish to create a Mattock of Time and Space will need to get two dragon mattocks.|
|Scroll of cleansing||Helps to save valuable secondary ingredients when making potions.|
|Charming imp||Makes charm collecting much easier.|
|Greater runic staff||Non-degradable tier 75 staff, earned through Runespan.|
|Chaotic equipment (staff recommended)||Degradable tier 80 weaponry, no requirements to obtain other than Dungeoneering tokens.|
|Guthix staff||Tier 60 staff obtained from the Mage arena minigame. This staff is extremely popular due to it's powerful special attack. The Guthix staff is used as a switch to cast Claws of Guthix which lowers target's defence by 5% and increases the target's affinity by 2.|
|Saradomin godsword (passive)||Non-degradable tier 75 sword, created by combining a saradomin hilt with a godsword and using the sword on Zilyana's altar. The sword has a great chance to restore life and prayer points allowing amazing afk potential, such as corrupted creatures.|
|Decimation||Tier 87 chargebow obtained from Slayer bounty. Has a powerful special attack and useful for getting into high level pvm, such as Rax, Raids, and Capsarius.|
|Seedicide||Can be earned through Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza or bought with Thaler, can also be bought from Farmers' Market. Consumes seed drops in exchange for Farming experience.|
|Spring cleaner||Made through Invention. Converts alchable drops from monsters into raw materials which are sent directly to the player's bank. As the raw materials are usually high level, the spring cleaner is primarily useful for players with high Smithing and Crafting levels.|
Useful early Archaeology relics[edit | edit source]
Relic powers can be unlocked through the Archaeology skill, these relics require levels 5-25 Archaeology and are easily acquirable and provides a passive boost until changed or unharnessed, three relics can be activated at one time.
|Font of Life||Good for early combat training, questing and other early game activities such as Corrupted Scarab slayer training and Soul obelisk for reputation.|
|Unexpected Diplomacy||This increases your Mazcab reputation from daily Nemi Forest and Trink's task to unlock raids reroll quicker and Menaphos reputation from Corrupted Scarab slayer training and Soul obelisk to unlock the VIP skilling area and menaphos quest quicker.|
|Ring of Luck (relic power)||Grants the effect of T1 luck so you can wear a more useful ring such as the Explorer's ring.|
Money making[edit | edit source]
Early money making[edit | edit source]
- The best source of money for a new ironman is the Magical Dice (T1) from May's Quest Caravan. Obtaining 25 quest points will award the player 250,000 coins and a random easy Treasure Trails reward.
- Completing the Stronghold of Security and Stronghold of Player Safety for 10,000 coins each.
- Corrupted Scarabs in Menaphos offer great rewards with very few requirements. One needs only a decent supply of food appropriate for their Constitution level and completion of the Jack of Spades quest. Scarab swarms are fairly uncommon and brief, so using an active Friends chat is suggested, while also having something to do during downtime. Depending on luck and skill (see the 'Tips' section in the Corrupted Scarabs article), one can expect to make between 10,000 to 250,000 coins per swarm, alongside excellent reputation and Slayer experience rates.
- Corpse spiders (Level 4) can be killed in the Lumbridge Catacombs for their spider silk, which can be crafted into spider silk robe bottoms at level 23 Crafting and sold to a General store for 450 coins or high alched for 900 coins; alternatively, players can craft spider silk robe top at level 24 Crafting and sold to General stores for 600 coins or high alched for 1,200 coins.
- Giant frogs (Level 44) can be killed in the Lumbridge Swamp Caves for giant frog legs that can be sold to Hudo for 1,000 coins each in the Grand Tree at the Tree Gnome Stronghold. They also commonly drop nature runes.
- Pickpocketing the Gullible tourist in the southern part of the Port district of Menaphos gives 30 coins and 29.5 exp per pickpocket and has no Thieving requirement. Pickpocketing from her also occasionally rewards small Menaphite gift offerings, which always rewards between 26,000 and 74,800 coins and a plethora of other rewards.
Mid-level money making[edit | edit source]
- Safecracking is a great moneymaking method starting at 62 thieving, especially if selling uncommon looted items for additional coins.
- Slayer contracts for both money and Slayer experience.
- Gargoyles drop many alchable items but require level 75 Slayer.
- Aberrant spectres are a great source of seeds, herbs, and items that can be high alched.
- Turoth are a fast slayer task, dropping adamant items that can be high alched, herbs, seeds, and uncut gems.
- Mountain trolls are a good source of nature runes for high alching, along with seeds and occasionally granite shields.
- Aquanites are a good, constant source of medium to high level seeds, herbs, water battlestaves and occasionally sirenic scales. Killing these with seedicide can be a very good source of Farming experience.
- Exiled kalphite guardians have a great blue charm drop rate, along with many alchables and herbs.
High-level money making[edit | edit source]
- The Shadow Reef, also known as ED3, is a great way to earn money and combat experience, being an activity best done in a group of three. Baseline gear is Lunar armour and a Vanquish. With starter gear you can expect approximately 3m gp/hour (but can reach much higher with good luck) and 1.5m combat xp/hour. Bringing a luck boosting item, bonecrusher, demon horn necklace and charming imp is helpful. This is also a good source for invention components, alchables and blue charms. Kill mobs up to first boss barrier, leave and reset. Minibosses also provide 5k tokens upon death, Rare relics can be High alched for 1m gp. If killing Hanto bring Super magic potions or super restores.
- Vyrelords are a great way for exp and money making. Up to 1m gp per hr can be achieved through coins and alchables. Vyres are also for amazing combat, prayer, firemaking, and farming xp. See Killing vyrelords and vyreladies.
- Killing 5 Spiritual warriors in player-owned dungeon is a great and afk method for making money. Up to 5m gp per hr can be achieved through coins and alchables. Having an advanced gold accumulator and spring cleaner allows this method to be very afk. See Killing spiritual warriors.
Food and Potions[edit | edit source]
|Cake - Thieving stall south of Catherby bank.||Antipoison (3) - Jiminua's Jungle Store 10 stock|
|Premade gnome food - Up to 1500 healing food from Gnome Waiter. 10 stock of each food.||Antipoison++ Dropped 40 at a time from Corporeal Beast|
|- Cooked tuna and swordfish can be obtained from Managing Miscellania||Super potion set (1) - Can be obtained from thieving Iorwerth and Cadarn clans in Prifddinas.|
|Desert sole, Catfish, and Beltfish - heal 1450, 1500, and 1650 respectively.||Super potion set (4) - Bought from Mazcab Emergency Merchants 1 x stock of each, restocking once every 2 minutes.|
|Cooked eeligator - 1850 healing food from Mazcab Emergency Merchants for 3750 coins each.||Super restore (4) and Summoning potion (4) - Mazcab Emergency Merchants 3 x stock of super restores, 1 stock of summoning potions. restocking one potion every 2 minutes.|
|Raw shark - 2000 healing food from Temple trekking 8-54 received (Depending on reward token)||Saradomin brew - Dropped from Nex in a 30:10 or 10:30 ratio in conjunction with super restores. Queen Black Dragon and Mature grotworms drop (2) dose Saradomin brews. Araxxi drops up to 18 Saradomin brew flask a kill.|
|Tuna potato - Potato with butter from Rorarius, grow sweetcorn (seeds from Taverley Farming tutor), tuna from Managing Miscellania.||Overload flask - Can be obtained as a drop from Araxxi after the player has at least 90 herblore.|
|Rocktail - Dropped up to 10 at a time from Queen Black Dragon|
|Sailfish - Swarm fishing is a great method to gain access to some of the best high level food available, including blue blubber jellyfish and sailfish|
Dailies[edit | edit source]
These are the recommended dailies for an ironman account:
- Daily Challenges Extended Herblore > Construction > Summoning > Farming > Smithing > Crafting.
- It is highly recommended to unlock the Jack of Trades aura. Use on Herblore > Summoning > Smithing > Agility
- Nemi Forest - 9 different nodes granting experience in Mining, Farming, Prayer, and Dungeoneering. This has no starting requirements.
- Shooting Star - Collecting and redeeming 200 Stardust grants ability to over-cap Red stone daily limit, mining experience, 50,000 coins and some other useful supplies.
- Vis wax - using runes from shops and Barrows. Vis wax requires 50 Runecrafting.
- Wicked hood - Withdrawing up to 175 pure essence at Runecrafting altars and crafted for runes without banking. Omni-talisman requires completion of Mourning's End Part II, Legacy of Seergaze, and The Jack of Spades quests. Soul talismans, however, are extremely rare from sarcophagi in Shifting Tombs.
- Rune shops - Buy runes for vis wax and teleportation/spells. Prioritise elemental runes and soul runes
- Feathers - for training Fletching with Broad arrowheads. 11,000 a day, costing 66,000
- Buy broad arrowheads from Taverley slayer masters. Bandit Camp's Noterazzo, and slayer masters do not share a shop stock. 9000 arrowheads a day, costing 450,000
- Soul Reaper task - Requires 60 Combat. Very good slayer experience at lower levels. Points needed for hydrix jewellery.
- Potion flask and Crystal flask - Requires 81 Mining and 89 Crafting, completion of As a First Resort for potion flasks; crystal flasks requires Plague's End and As a First Resort.
- Guthixian Cache for all Divination experience.
- Big Chinchompa for early Hunter experience, and Grenwall quota tickets
- Uncharted Isles - Travel to your claimed island for 3 supplies, complete up to 7 contracts. Woodcutting > Fletching > Fishing > Mining > Divination > Cooking.
- The Arc/Berries - Pick arc berries and replant berry bushes at Tuai Leit every two days for free berries, which can be sold for chimes.
- Captain's_Log - Get started with ports and send out ships for voyages as soon as you can. This will help unlock useful pvm scrimshaws and powerful dual wield weapons for magic and melee.
- Flax - Collect up to 30, 60, 120, or 200 free flax daily from Geoffrey upon completion of the corresponding Seer's Village tasks.
- Potato cactus - Collect up to 20, 30, or 40 free potato cactus daily from Weird Old Man upon completion of the medium, hard, or elite Desert tasks.
- Magic logs - Collect daily 28 yew, magic, or elders logs daily from Coeden.
- Travelling Merchant's Shop - The travelling merchant sells on a daily basis one uncharted island map and three other items useful to ironmen, such as Slayer VIP coupons, D&D tokens and Dragonkin lamps. The merchant's wiki page includes the current and upcoming stock.
Skills[edit | edit source]
Construction[edit | edit source]
Complete Throne of Miscellania and Royal Trouble as early as possible, putting 10 subjects into hardwood. Mahogany logs are more construction exp per day, but cost a lot more. If money is not an issue, it is highly suggested to pick mahogany. Converting mahogany logs into planks costs 155,500 more than teaks, but grant 1,470 more experience. After 114 Invention, mahogany logs can be converted to planks at a very small cost of divine charges, making mahogany logs a very viable option for every ironman that will get 114 Invention before 99 Construction.
- Levels 1-5 Complete The Jack of Spades quest.
- Levels 5-16 Complete The Eyes of Glouphrie and The Darkness of Hallowvale quests.
- Levels 16-20 Complete Perils of Ice Mountain, Bringing home the bacon, and Tower of life quests.
- Levels 20-22 Sculpt God statues or create oak chairs.
- Levels 22-33 Construct Oak dining tables.
- Levels 33-38 Construct Oak larders.
- Levels 38-63 Construct Teak tables.
- Levels 63-99 Construct Driftwood prawnbrokers
- Levels 73-99 Construct Flotsam prawnbrokers
- Extend mahogany flatpack daily challenges.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
- Levels 1-11 - Complete Murder Mystery.
- Levels 11-23/99 - Craft protoleather bodies from Protomastyx hide from the Smuggler in Dungeoneering. High alch charms and other drops for rusty coins.
- Levels 11-75 - Mine uncut gems from gem rocks and cut them. Experience per hour scales with the mining level, but typically uncommon gem rocks provide the fastest rates, due to their low durability. If gems are not dropped, a gem bag will come in handy.
- Levels 75-99 - Play harps in Prifddinas during Ithell Voice of Seren
Farming[edit | edit source]
- Levels 1-47 - Nemi Forest.
- Supercompost can be created from pineapples bought from Arhein's Store in Catherby, or picked from pineapple plants north of Karamja lodestone.
- Seeds for levels 1-17 can be obtained from Head Farmer Jones or Draynor Seed Market.
- Levels 1-5 - Grow Potatoes.
- Levels 5-7 - Grow Onions.
- Levels 7-12 - Grow Cabbages.
- Levels 12-17 - Grow Tomatoes.
- Levels 47-51 - Grow watermelons using seeds from Temple Trekking.
- Levels 51 - After completing Plague's End, you can purchase pineapple seedlings from Coeden in the Crwys district.
- Levels 75 - Grow magic trees from seeds that you get from high-end bosses.
- Level 74-99 - Alternatively, you can use Seedicide from Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza to destroy seed drops from monsters in return for double their planted experience (especially useful with Morchella mushroom spores and Snape grass seeds). Good monsters to use Seedicide on include Turoth, Aquanites, and Vyrewatch.
- Levels 17-99 - Player-owned farm
- Levels 28, 35, 49 - chickens, sheeps and cows can be bought from the Farmers' Market, raised to the elder stage and sold for a small profit to the buyers. Alternatively, grow them to adolescence and sell them for a higher profit.
- Levels 17-28 - Breed the rabbits you got from the Player-owned farm tutorial. Let them age to elder for 250 experience per rabbit and sell them to Myfi. The cheapest food for rabbits that can be bought in bulk are woad leafs from Wyson the gardener in Falador Park for 25 coins each.
- Levels 28-54 - Build both small pens if possible. Buy 12 chicken eggs from the Farmers' Market each day, grow them to elder for 15,000 experience and sell them to Henrietta.
- To reduce the time hunting for unchecked animals hire the farmhand Adam Antite for 5,000 beans as soon as possible. Send him off for 100 beans as often as you can afford.
- Levels 54-99 - Buy the abilities for animals to breed in every pen. Breed, grow and sell the best animals you have for each pen size.
Grow any herb seeds you get, prioritising herbs used in overload potions. Players with 81 Archaeology may wish to activate the Pharm Ecology perk which guarantees that herb and mushroom patches will no longer die.
Herblore[edit | edit source]
Herblore is generally considered to be the most difficult skill to train on ironman, because gathering large amounts of herbs can be difficult and takes time. Thus, many ironmen decide to put as much extra experience into herblore as possible, including quest rewards and Jack of trades aura. For tips on how to gather herbs and secondary ingredients, see the Seeds and Herbs section below. Herblore can also be trained with experience lamps from the Fight Cauldron for up to 60,000+ Herblore and 500,000+ combat xp/hour. Daily challenges for Herblore can also be completed for up to 137,000 xp daily. About every 6 hours, 4 lychee fruits can be picked from each of the 5 bushes, 6 Carambola fruits can be picked from each of the 7 fruit trees, 3 golden dragonfruit fruits can be picked from each of the 3 cacti. This amounts to 140, 252, and 72 primal fruit pulps, respectively. This is a total of 464 primal fruit pulps, amounting to 67,280 herb xp when creating primal extracts. The harvested fruits can be increased using wolpertinger pouches for double bush fruits and ent pouches and greenfinger aura for increased fruit yield resulting in 100,000+ herb xp when creating primal extracts.
Managing Miscellania can be a great source of herbs with herbs ranging from level 5 to level 70.
Prayer[edit | edit source]
- Levels 1-40 - can be obtained from The Nexus. It is recommended to do The Restless Ghost as early as possible.
- Levels 40-75 - Nemi Forest and monthly God Statues
- Levels 75-99 - A combination of vyres, dragon bones (from Vindicta), airut bones (from Liberation of Mazcab), Hefin cleansing crystals and Hefin Agility Course during Hefin Voice of Seren, Nemi Forest and God Statues. Bones can be used on the altar in the Chaos Temple if the player does not have 75 Construction for a Gilded altar. However, some ironmen choose to use the Ectofuntus instead because it awards the most experience per bone and parts of the First age outfit can be bought with Ecto-tokens.
Mining[edit | edit source]
Mining and Smithing are best trained together, especially if both skills happen to be on the same level tier.
- Levels 1-99 can be achieved from the Shooting Star D&D, utilising urns to speed up the process. Grants up to 50,002 coins, 52 astral runes, 152 cosmic runes, and 20 gold stone spirits per day.
- Levels 1-10 - Mine Copper Ore and Tin Ore from Burthorpe's mining cave, dumping ore at the furnace outside. Create a Bronze ore box to drastically increase ore per trip.
- Levels 10-20 - Mine Iron Ore at the Lumbridge South-west mine, dumping ore at the Shattered Worlds Banker. Upgrade your ore box to Iron to drastically increase ore per trip.
- Levels 20-30 - Mine Coal at the Lumbridge South-west mine, dumping ore at the Shattered Worlds Banker. Switch to Iron Ore occasionally if you haven't achieved 30 Smithing. Upgrade your ore box to Steel to drastically increase ore per trip.
- Levels 30-40 - Mine Mithril Ore at the Varrock South-east mine, dumping ore at East Varrock Bank. Switch to Coal occasionally if you haven't achieved 40 Smithing. Upgrade your Ore Box to Mithril to drastically increase ore per trip.
- Levels 40-50 - Mine Adamantite Ore at the Rimmington mine, banking at the Clan Camp (Clan Vexillum recommended). Switch to Luminite occasionally if you haven't achieved 50 Smithing. Upgrade your ore box to Adamant to drastically increase ore per trip.
- Levels 50-60 - Mine Runite Ore at the Fight Arena South-east mine, dumping ore at Yanille Bank. Switch back to Luminite occasionally if you haven't achieved 60 Smithing. Upgrade your ore box to Rune to drastically increase ore per trip.
- Levels 60-70 - Mine Orichalcite Ore at the Mining Guild, dumping ore at a furnace in the Artisan's Worshop. Switch to Drakolith occasionally if you haven't achieved 70 Smithing. Upgrade your ore box to Orikalkum to drastically increase ore per trip.
- Levels 70-80 - Mine Phasmatite at the Port Phasmatys South mine (Ectophial or 92 Agility recommended). Switch to Necrite Ore occasionally if you haven't achieved 80 Smithing. Upgrade your Ore Box to Necronium to drastically increase ore per trip.
- Levels 80-90 - Mine Banite Ore at the Arctic (azure) habitat mine, banking with a teleport of choice. Upgrade your ore box to Bane to drastically increase ore per trip.
- Levels 90-97/99 - Mine Light and Dark Animica at Priffdinas while the Voice of Seren is benefiting the Trahaearn District. Upgrade your ore box to Elder Rune to drastically increase ore per trip.
- Levels 97-99 - Mine alaea crablets found in Uncharted Isles if you have already achieved 99 Smithing.
Smithing[edit | edit source]
Mining and Smithing are best trained together, especially if both skills happen to be on the same level tier.
Players are advised to mine and smith efficiently, level 50 Rune is more efficient than level 60 Orikalkum for example, as Orikalkum yields roughly 46% more exp but requires roughly 2.4 times longer to mine primary and secondary compared to Rune.
- Levels 1-99 - Utilize Burial equipment to reduce the amount of ore needed. Making complete burial sets gives 5% more experience than making each piece into burial separately, but requires switching between different armour pieces.
- After completion of the skilling task set and receiving a God banner you will be able to boost your skill by 2 levels once a day for 30 minutes, allowing you to smith higher tier equipment for better XP rates. for example boosting from level 88 to level 90 will allow you to smith Elder rune equipment befor being level 90. Furthermore a player can use these 30 minutes to make as many unfinished smithing items as possible to finish these after the 30 minutes have expired (progress will be halved as long as the player's smithing level is lower than the level required to create the item).
- Smithing inside the Artisans' Workshop will gain you respect which can be used to buy experience boosting items and rewards.
- Instead of making burial equipment, a player may choose to use High Level Alchemy to turn the upgraded armour into gold.
- Levels 1-29 can be obtained from The Knight's Sword.
Invention[edit | edit source]
Due to the high requirements for invention, most ironmen have high skill levels and many resources to disassemble by the time invention is unlocked.
- Levels 1-4 - Complete the Invention Tutorial.
- Levels 5-10 - Complete the Back to the Freezer quest. The 10,000 Invention experience can be claimed from Chuck if the quest was done prior to unlocking Invention.
- Levels 5-22 - Skillers lacking the combat levels for augmentable weapons are forced to resort to disassembling and researching as their main method of gaining experience until they reach Level 22, when they unlock the Fishing rod-o-matic.
- Levels 5-27/60 - Augmenting and disassembling level 5 black salamanders (requires 67 hunter) is an easy way to train the low levels of invention before players can siphon level 12 equipment.
- Levels 22-120 - Skillers can begin to use a Fishing rod-o-matic, disassembling it once they reach item level 10. Disassembling is recommended over siphoning, as the components required for siphoning are harder to obtain as an ironman.
- Levels 5-120 - Disassemble melee, ranged or magic sunspears. Sunspears are tier 78 weapons unlocked by the River of Blood quest. They are augmentable and can be disassembled for 523,800 invention experience once they reach item level 10. After disassembling, they can be rebought for 600,000. Many ironmen choose to do this all the way until level 120 as it eliminates the need for Equipment siphons which can be difficult to obtain in mass quantities on an ironman.
Where to gather ingredients/items[edit | edit source]
- Coal - Managing Miscellania
- Snape grass - Aberrant spectres > waterfiends > fungal magi.
- Red spiders' eggs - Spidines (Get sardines from Port Sarim), killing vyres, Spirit spider special attack.
- Limpwurt root - Corporeal beast, Iorwerth workers, vyres, General Graardor.
- Raw shark - Heart of Gielinor, fishing in the Fishing Guild, waterfiends (for The Fremennik Trials), Temple Trekking.
- Raw rocktail - Telos > Rise of the Six > Vorago > Raids > Divine rocktail bubbles > fishing rocktails.
- Bird's nest - Telos > Solak > Nihils > Kree' arra > Meilyr worker > Managing Miscellania > Giant Mole bits.
- Bucket of sand - Moss golems > 84 free buckets of sand from Bert (120 after Ardougne Elite Tasks), seaweed from waterfiends or northwestern corner of Piscatoris. Use the Superglass Make lunar spell, Ithell worker.
- Bowstring - Temple Trekking > Cadarn worker > spinning flax.
- White berries - Corporeal beast > Iorwerth guard > white berry bushes, spawned north of Tirannwn lodestone.
- Magic seed - Araxxor > Nex > Bird's nests > Kalphite King.
- Potato cactus - Fungal Magi, up to 40 noted potato cacti can be obtained daily from the Weird Old Man, depending on Desert Tasks completion.
- Dragon scale dust - Meilyr worker > Taverley blue dragon resource dungeon
- Pure essence - Capsarius in Sunken Pyramid > abyssal demons > black demons > greater demons. Check the rune chest in Wizards' Tower for free pure essence every Runecrafting level.
- Vial of water - Meilyr Clan Store and Noterazzo sell Vial of water packs
- / Powerburst Vial/Vial - Players can buy more empty vials by decanting full vials into 1-dose vials and back to four doses at any decanting NPC while banking excess vials. In order for this to work properly, players need to ensure that the Destroy empty vials when decanting potions setting is disabled (Settings -> General -> Inventory -> Destroy empty vials when decanting potions).
Seeds and Herbs[edit | edit source]
|Avantoe seed||Automatons, Edimmu, Vyres, Dark beasts|
|Cadantine seed||Edimmu, Moss Golems, Kal'gerion demons, Turoth|
|Dwarf weed seed||Araxxor, Barrows: Rise of the Six, Vyres|
|Fellstalk seed||Dark beasts, Mature grotworms, Aberrant spectres|
|Irit seed||Vyres, Dark beasts, Cave horror|
|Kwuarm seed||Automatons, Ice strykewyrms, Vyres, Dark beasts|
|Lantadyme seed||K'ril Tsustaroth, Exhiled kalphite marauders|
|Ranarr seed||Vyres, Aberrant Spectres|
|Snapdragon seed||Vyres, Kalphite King, Dark beasts|
|Toadflax seed||Vyres, Dark beasts|
|Torstol seed||Nex, Kalphite King, Vorago, Vyres, Queen Black Dragon|
|Grimy avantoe||Araxxi, Nex, Aberrant spectres, Vyres|
|Grimy cadantine||Nex:AoD, Solak, Moss golems, Smoke nihils|
|Grimy dwarf weed||Telos, Araxxor, Nex, Raids, GWD2|
|Grimy fellstalk||Farming, Divine Herb 3|
|Grimy irit||Solak, Aberrant Spectres, Crystal Shapeshifters|
|Grimy kwuarm||Solak, Kalphite King, Aberrant Spectres, Crystal Shapeshifters|
|Grimy lantadyme||Telos, Helwyr, Araxxi, Beastmaster Durzag, Camel warriors|
|Grimy ranarr||Vyres, Aberrant Spectres, Chaos Giants|
|Grimy snapdragon||Nex:AoD, Vyres, Kalphite King|
|Grimy toadflax||Telos, Vyres, Crystal Shapeshifters|
|Grimy torstol||Telos, Nex, Vorago, Queen Black Dragon|
Invention components[edit | edit source]
Ironmen with an Archaeology level of 95+ should strongly consider unlocking Scavenging 4 or 3 for a chance to get uncommon and rare components while training combat. The scavenging perk is extremely useful for training at Vyres, Abyssal demons and Corrupted creatures.
- Simple - maple logs from Managing Miscellania, gold bars from Living Rock Caverns
- Powerful - spirit terrorbird pouches, insulated boots, white magic staves
- Swift - claws and knives from Martin Thwait, mithril claws from Skuli Myrka, smithing claws
- Subtle - scimitars from smithing or shops
- Crafted - broad arrows, spirit terrorbird pouches, spears in Barbarian Village with Skull sceptre.
- Base - swords in Varrock, Falador, and the Warrior's Guild.
- Strong - fletch shieldbows
- Dextrous - fletch shortbows, sword shop in Varrock and the Warrior's Guild.
- Evasive - Dragonhide chaps
- Enhancing - slayer rings
- Precious - slayer rings
- Protective - Dragonhide chaps, med helms
Stores with a lot of armour and weapons in stock
- White Knight Master Armoury (1300 Black knight kills after Wanted! highly recommended)
- Warriors' Guild Armoury
- Lowe's Archery Emporium
Summoning Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- (46) Tinderbox - Stock of 60,000 tinderboxes from Ignatius's Hot Deals south of Seers' Village. Nearest bank just southwest at the Temple of Ikov archaeological site.
- (49) Raw beef - Stock of 100 raw beef from Rufus's Meat Emporium in Canifis. Stock of 6 raw beef packs (300 raw beef) from Chargurr in Oo'glog.
- (52) Raw bird meat - Stock of 6 raw bird meat packs (300 raw bird meat) from Chargurr in Oo'glog.
- (55) Jug of water - Stock of 1000 Jug of water in the form of Jug of water packs from Beefy Bill's Supplies in North Lumbridge, The Lighthouse Store in Lighthouse, and Shantay Pass Shop in Shantay Pass,
- (64) Bagged plant 1 - Stock of 1000 from Garden Centre in Falador
- (70) Pot of flour - Stock of 500 from Wydin's Food Store or from the Port Khazard General Store
- (88) Unicorn horn - Commander Zilyana or killing Unicow under the Tower of Life.
- (96) Yak-hide - Stock of 1,000 from Vanligga Gastfrihet on Jatizso.
- (99) Steel ingot - Mining Iron ore or buy Steel platebodies from armour stores converted into steel ingots at a furnace.
- Gold charm - Hellhounds
- Green charm - Mithril dragons
- Crimson charm - Nex > Araxxor > Waterfiends > Corrupted Scorpions (with Aggression potions) > Celestial dragons
- Blue charm - Nex > Kalphite King > Exiled kalphites > Celestial dragons
Mini-Guides[edit | edit source]
Mort myre fungus gathering[edit | edit source]
- Wield an ivandis flail/silver sickle (b) and Morytania legs 1, bring 2 prayer renewal flask/prayer flasks.
- Teleport to Morytania via fairy ring code BKR and running west, or by opening the gate south-west of Canifis and running south.
- Stand just south of the deposit chest in between the rotten logs (as pictured) and cast bloom.
- The sickle and Ivandis flail can be keybound on the ability bar
Papaya fruit gathering[edit | edit source]
- Fruit bats are summoning familiars that require 69 summoning to create and summon
- Create fruit bat pouchs, and convert some of them into scrolls. (It is recommended to create at least 20 times more scrolls than pouches)
- Teleport to Mazcab via Grouping System interface, Mazcab Teleport spell, or by simply walking to Wizard Chambers.
- Run to Kanatah (East) and stand near the banker (as pictured).
- Summon a fruit bat and cast fruitfall
- You can buy summoning potions to replenish summoning points
- Buying all the potions can be very useful for making extreme potions and ultimately overloads
- Buying every potion from the shop costs 1,601,250 an hour
This can be up to 600 papaya fruits an hour.
This can be done at the same time as training other skills. It is recommended to dismantle, fletch, or create unfinished potions while casting Fruitfall.
Cutting teak logs[edit | edit source]
- Deadliest Catch and Monkey Madness quest required, as well as 35 Woodcutting. It is highly recommended to have the highest tiered hatchet available to you.
- Alternative to Deadliest Catch, the Evil Tree Distraction and Diversion log-banking bonus can be used instead.
- Bring a hatchet, preferably an augmented crystal hatchet with Refined and Polishing perks
- A beaver familiar with extra pouches (and super restore), decorated woodcutting urns, lumberjack clothing and lumberjack aura are also very helpful.
- After a full inventory, run to the bank chest and deposit the logs. The area running back to the trees is a straightway allowing full surge capability.
- There is a small chance that you will cut a special teak log. Two of these special teak logs can be exchanged to a sawmill operator (bring noted) along with 27 normal teak logs for 27 teak planks, for free.
A teak tree grants 85 Woodcutting and 90 Construction experience per log cut.
Killing vyres[edit | edit source]
For lower levels
- Equip a Blisterwood weapon or Sunspear and your Darkmeyer disguise.
- Find and kill stray vyres (possible locations marked by red squares).
- Stand in the middle of the 3 vyres that spawn east of the tree.
- Prioritise AoE abilities such as hurricane (melee), bombardment (range), and dragonbreath (magic).
- It is recommended to enable auto-retaliate and area looting
For free prayer and health restoration, you can run to the bank and prayer altar to the north.
- This method is around 85,000 prayer experience an hour.
For higher levels
These experience rates are assuming Soulsplit and Morytania legs 4 are used
- Set up your seedicide to crush seeds like belladonna seeds, poison ivy seeds, and cactus seeds. Other seeds are optional.
- Stand on the tile north-west of the tree as pictured (this is so all 6 vyres can reach you).
- Prioritise AoE's such as corruption blast or hurricane.
- It is recommended to enable auto-retaliate and area looting.
- It is important to not move from the square. In order to pick up loot, drop an item below you and area loot your item back, along with surrounding loot.
- This method is around 320,000 Prayer experience an hour.
Recommended Equipment[edit | edit source]
- Augmented Sunspear - Cheap, hybrid, augmentable, easily replaceable and the highest tier weapon for vyres make this a popular choice for Invention training and mid-level slayer.
- Berserk blood essence - good pocket slot item for boosting offensive stats, used before overloads.
- Holy wrench - main pocket slot item while slaying, for preserving prayer and super restore potions.
- Morytania Elite Tasks - 50%+ increase in Prayer experience
- Corruption, salvation, and harmony auras - Every 500 prayer experience gained, 3-10% (depending on tier) of prayer points are restored.
- Perks - Aftershock 3 Precise 5 Scavenging 4 Biting 3
- Fire and Nature runes in rune pouch for high alchemy
Creating decorated urns[edit | edit source]
Urns can be a great way of augmenting skilling experience per hour, and a recent update to the Ithell Voice of Seren allowed the soft clay rock to never deplete, allowing quick soft clay gathering. Additional items and bonus's such as Bracelet of clay and Varrock armour 4 allow even greater yield to soft clay. It is recommended to bring 10 bracelets with you, and dropping any soft clay you get with your action bar, only keeping the soft clay that has been sent to the bank.
This can be up to 4000 soft clay an hour, and depletes about 10 bracelets of clay.
After the soft clay has been gathered, it is now time to create urns. Down below is a calculator, which will tell you approximately how many urns you need to create for the inputted goal level (automatically set to 99). The calculator does not take into account any bonus experience you may have, such as a skilling outfit or the wise perk.
It is highly recommended to make Cooking, Fishing, Runecrafting, Farming and Woodcutting urns first before any other urns.
Urn calculator[edit | edit source]
template = Urn calculator form = urncalcin result = urncalcout param = current|Current Level/XP|1|int|0-200000000|| param = goal|Goal Level/XP|99|int|0-200000000||
Type in any skill level and you will see a list of all the highest tiered urns and the amount needed to achieve your goal level.
Dungeoneering Crafting[edit | edit source]
Up to 100k Crafting experience an hour along with 100k Dungeoneering experience (rates for 99+ dungeoneering), with some experience in a multitude of skills such as Woodcutting, Fishing, Fletching, Summoning and combat. It is recommended to buy the Scroll of dexterity as early as possible to save hides while doing this method.
- Start a complexity 6 small floor and complete the dungeon while picking up drops, cutting trees, fishing, opening the chests, and infusing/high alching summoning pouches. Cookie-cutter: F1-30 c6 small and 30+ c6 med.
- Gather as many rusty coins as possible. This is to purchase Protomastyx hide from the Smuggler
- Purchase some thread and Protomastyx hide. Craft Protoleather bodies and sell them to the Smuggler. Repeat until you no longer have enough rusty coins to continue crafting. Alternatively, High Level Alchemy can be used to get more rusty coins per body than selling to the Smuggler, but this is a much slower process than selling a full inventory at once and requires having nature runes.
- Upgrade your ring of kinship into the artisan variant, which gives a chance of saving resources while skilling, with gatherer, which gives a chance of gaining resources as a secondary.
- Training dungeoneering as an ironman is different than a main, because as an ironman you want to maximise free experience gain
- The hide can be keybound to the ability bar speeding up the process of crafting a large quantity of hides at a time.
Equipment[edit | edit source]
|This is a table of viable capes for an ironman, in order of worst to best. For a more complete list see Capes.
|This is a brief list of viable options for ironmen. For a full list see Weapon/Magic weapons.
|This is a brief list of viable options for ironmen. For a full list see Weapon/Melee weapons.
The beginning tier of weapons can be skipped after completing Waterfall Quest, which rewards enough experience to level your Attack and Strength to level 30 if done at level 1.
|This is a brief list of viable options for ironmen. For a full list see Weapon/Ranged weapons.
Boss strategies[edit | edit source]
Ironmen can't purchase most of their equipment so they may kill bosses outside of the recommended stats and gear. To make up for this, different strategies are sometimes used.
Dagannoth Rex[edit | edit source]
Out of all the Dagannoth Kings, Dagannoth Rex is the easiest to safe-spot. This makes it possible for lower levels to get easy kills. His notable drops are, warrior ring, berserker ring, some pieces of rock-shell armour, and mithril plateskirt which is used for clue scroll (medium). Not only those drops, but all Dagannoth Kings drop dragon hatchet, and dagannoth hide.
- Magic power armour
- Fire spells
- High Level Alchemy
- Shield for Resonance
- Emergency teleport (Ectophial recommended)
- Couple logs, for cremating the dagannoth bones
To start a Dagannoth Kings instance, it's recommended to use the fastest spawn speed as only one of the Kings is to be killed. Upon entering the instance, quickly move to spot 1, surging along the way. Attack Dagannoth Rex when he spawns with Combust, and move back into spot 1, wait, and use Resonance to heal off his first, and hopefully only successful hit. Move into spot 2 once Rex is in range, indicated by his hitting the player. Kill him without worry, as the other Kings won't come into attack range. Once Rex is dead, collect the loot and either wait in the complete safety of spot 2 for around 10 seconds then move to spot 1, or move directly into spot 1. Either way, before Rex spawns again, use Regenerate to convert your remaining adrenaline into health, or stall your adrenaline for the next kill by killing the minions in the water or using Anticipation, Freedom, and Preparation. If done right you shouldn't end up using any food besides the occasional agro by one of the other two Kings. If that does happen, it's advised to quickly exit via the entrance while using protect from ranged, or protect from magic if the more damaging, Dagannoth Prime happens to attack on the way out.
Kiting Bosses[edit | edit source]
Kiting is when you run away from a melee-based opponent being out of reach of the target, resulting in them being unable to attack you. This is most effective when used at bosses that only melee, but still can be used on bosses that attack with multiple styles. An under-geared Ironman would want to do this because it allows them to continue to kill a boss for extended periods of time with minimal supply use, albeit slower kills due to the inability to take full advantage of abilities such as Sunshine or Asphyxiate. Popular bosses to kite as a low level Ironman are:
Beastmaster Durzag's primary method of attacking is by throwing melee punches and slams, increasing enrage to the aggression holder if multiple hits are dealt. He can also send range attacks to many of the players in the arena, including to the person holding aggression if the beastmaster can't hit them, but these attacks do not increase enrage. A player can take advantage of this by running around the arena to substantially decrease the enrage stack gain. If the player has not been hit by a melee attack for more than 15 seconds, the enrage resets back to 0. This allows a single player to tank Beastmaster Durzag for a long period of time without the need of a backup tank.
Recommended gear[edit | edit source]
- An armour piece augmented with Enhanced Devoted 3 perk.
- An armour piece augmented with Mobile perk.
- High defence armour, like Achto Primeval robe top or Seasinger's robe top
- Oo'glog spa infinite run energy boost
- A mint cake .
- Arcane spirit shield or any other Spirit shield equivalent, in conjunction with Penance aura.
- High healing food, such as Rocktail soup and Super Saradomin brew flask (6).