The inventory or backpack is where the player carries items that cannot be or are not equipped. A player's backpack inventory can hold up to 28 items, and any additional items must be stored in the player's bank. Some items are stackable (such as coins, runes, and arrows) which means they only take up the space of one item, no matter how many a player has.
Due to the introduction of Summoning, it is possible to have access to more items on the move by using a Beast of Burden (e.g. Pack yak). However to access the items that have been stored with the BoB, you must have enough free spaces in your inventory for the items, as you cannot use them directly.
Note that a player can transport more than the standard 28 items by dropping an item, moving somewhere, dropping a new item, going back to reclaim the first item dropped, and repeating. This is uncommon, since it takes a long time to transport just another few items. However, for a player with an inventory full of valuable items, this may prove extremely useful.
The limit of 28 items in a player's inventory is integral to the RuneScape economy. Since only 28 items can be held at once, this requires players to make trips to banks to deposit items while they are gathering and/or making items. This adds time to the process of gathering items such as logs, ores, or flax and the process of making items, such as bowstrings, bars, and bows.
If inventory was unlimited, the prices of such items could face a considerable drop because it would not take as much time to obtain large amounts of them. Runecrafting would be made easy, as players would be able to craft infinite amounts of runes in a single trip. Gathering skills, such as Fishing, Woodcutting, and Mining could be trained for infinite amounts of time without much movement, and processing skills, such as Smithing, Cooking, and Fletching would be extremely easy because infinite numbers of materials could be processed into finished items in one trip. The limitations of the inventory help to stabilize the RuneScape economy.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- ninja 11 September 2017 (Update):
- Pies, cakes and pizzas will now stay in the same inventory slot while consumed instead of jumping to the first free slot at each stage of eating.
- patch 7 August 2017 (Update):
- The inventory models have been repositioned for low tier Dungeoneering coifs to better fit the inventory slots.
- patch 25 January 2016 (Update):
- The spacing between the icons at the bottom of the backpack has been fixed.
- ninja 11 January 2016 (Update):
- Repositioned various inventory icons for equipment and other items to better fit within the inventory borders.
- patch 12 May 2009 (Update):
- Slightly modified the abyssal whip inventory icon to better resemble its actual appearance.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In RuneScape Classic, players could hold 30 items; however, those 30 also included worn equipment.
- According to the Zombie head, the inventory has 'fluff' at the bottom.