The Instant Demo was a game mode that was made to give people a chance to play on a smaller world with fewer quests, all without having to sign up. The feature was introduced on 29 March 2010 and was listed on RuneScape affiliate sites such as Solitaire Online and Miniclip. Once accessed, the instant demo was unlocked on the official RuneScape website. With the update on 21 April 2010 Instant Demo no longer needed to be "unlocked." Players were given access to 9 quests and a restricted world that did not have access to several main features including chat (needs age verification). During the tutorial the player was known as 'Adventurer'. However once in game, this changed to 'Player #' (Where # is changed to a random number). Instant Demo was played on World 901. The Instant Demo was later removed on 9 June 2010 for players who already have an active account on the non-demo version of RuneScape. However, players who had a save mode in instant demo, regardless of already having a normal RuneScape account, could access the instant demo. The demo accounts were no longer available to players who hadn't already created a demo account. On 6 October 2010 the ability to login to the demo was removed with The Void Stares Back update.
Quests[edit | edit source]
Players play Unstable Foundations as the tutorial quest and have the option to play 8 other quests:
- The Blood Pact
- Cook's Assistant
- Demon Slayer
- Ernest the Chicken
- Myths of the White Lands (After a later update)
- Restless Ghost
- Rune Mysteries
- Vampyre Slayer, even though it can not be completed as you get a message which says:
|Skill cap reached|
|You have not been allowed to complete this quest; the reward would go to waste as you have reached the level cap for the demo. To gain more XP, access to other areas of the world and more content, simply create a free account.|
The maximum quest points available is 19.
Restrictions[edit | edit source]
- Players were limited to 9 quests and the tutorial quest and couldn't use the chat feature; they were restricted to quick chat only.
- Players couldn't use their friend, ignore and clan chat lists.
- Only the starting area was available, and it was isolated from the rest of the RuneScape world.
- Players couldn't take part in most holiday events. However, they could talk to any NPC and receive any holiday items, as long as it was possible in the starting area.
- Players' skills were capped at level 20.
- Players did not have the ability to write notes.
- Players had only 34 bank slots.
- The Grand Exchange was disabled.
- The Wealth cap was set at 200,000 coins, using the value given by the Grand Exchange. Players who had broken the cap were unable to pick up items and could not use the bank. This was often aggravating to pure Instant Demo players trying to maximise their bank.
- The 5,000 Attack experience reward from Vampyre Slayer was not obtainable due to the level cap.
- Although the Lumbridge achievement diary could be started, only the beginner tasks could be completed.
- Because Nurmof is outside of the starting area, and Perils of Ice Mountain is unavailable, only bronze pickaxes could be obtained and used.
- The best melee weapon in terms of damage per second in the demo was the mithril scimitar, only available through a mystery box from a random event. The best melee weapon in terms of strength and attack bonuses was the mithril 2h sword, also available from a mystery box. Steel and mithril armour were very rare too, moss giants dropped some pieces of these armour, although they had a combat level of 48 and were difficult to kill unless safespotted.
- The only Runecrafting Altars available to Demo'ers were the Air and Water altars.
- The only way to train Dungeoneering was from lamps which were even harder to obtain on Instant Demos.
Music[edit | edit source]
Only a small selection of music was available in the instant demo:
- The Adventurer
- The Art of Hocus-Pocus
- Autumn Voyage
- Bittersweet Bunny
- Book of Spells
- Cavernous Mythology
- Cellar Song
- Corporal Punishment
- The Dance of the Snow Queen
- Dead and Buried
- Diango's Little Helpers
- The Duke
- Easter Jig
- Evil Bob's Island
- Flute Salad
- Funny Bunnies
- Ghost of Christmas Presents
- Grimly Fiendish
- Ground Scape
- Hare-brained Machines
- Head to Head
- High Spirits
- Honky Tonky Medieval
- Honky Tonky Newbie Melody
- I'm Counting on You
- In the Clink
- Into the Abyss
- Itsy Bitsy...
- Jungle Bells
- Jungle Island XMAS
- Land of Snow
- Lazy Wabbit
- Looking Back
- The Mentor
- Newbie Melody
- The Pact
- Pheasant Peasant
- Pinball Wizard
- Poison Dreams
- The Quiz Master
- Rune Essence
- Scape Cave
- Scape Hunter
- Scape Main
- Scape Original
- Scape Santa
- Scape Scared
- Scape Summon
- Scape Theme
- School's Out
- Sea Shanty
- Sea Shanty XMAS
- Silent Knight
- Snack Attack
- Still Night
- The Trade Parade
- Time Out
- Trick or Treat?
- Unknown Land
- Winter Funfare
Update history[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- When trying to access a tab, such as the friends list, one of the things it will tell you is that making a free account allows you to increase all of your skills to 99. This is not necessarily true with a free account, as a free account cannot raise member's only skills.
- The maximum total level in the Demo version is 724.
- When Instant Demo was released, World 901 (the world used for Instant Demo) was an option on the World Selection screen. However, attempting to log onto it would give the player an error message. This was later fixed.
- An objective of over level 20 can be set, however achieving it is impossible, unless one of the five skills you can use the Assist System to train.
- When setting an objective to 99, it will not say "You will be the master of ~skill~ and will be able to wear the skillcape.", instead, it will say "Levelling your ~skill~ will let you ---."
- It is possible to get random events in the Demo version, although they are very rare. These random events have already occurred: Freaky Forester, Mime, Cap'n' Arrav, Frog Princess, Pinball, Lederhosen, Drunken dwarf (Walks around and gives out kebabs and beer), Prison Pete, Drill Demon and the Security Guard (Walks around).
- The Cornucopia and the Lilies of the Valley are so far the only Holiday item available in the Demo. It is unknown whether or not the Flagstaff of Festivities is obtainable.
- Players are unable to change their default gender, skin tone, shoes or armguards in the instant demo after creation of account. However, clothing can be changed for 1000 coins from Thessellia in Varrock.
- A total of 38 Tasks can be completed in the Instant Demo.
- The highest healing food in the Instant Demo is the Kebab, healing up to 300 life points.
- The only guild that can be accessed in the Instant Demo is the Cooking Guild.
Adverts[edit | edit source]
Adverts were used to unlock instant demo mode on RuneScape.