|Release||26 August 2008 (Update)|
|Destroy||If you destroy your last one, you can reclaim your Inferno Adze by talking to King Roald.|
|On death||Always kept outside Wild|
|Danger: risk of fire.|
|Links||MRID • recipe|
|FAQ • doc|
The inferno adze is a combined hatchet and pickaxe that can be obtained as a reward from the All Fired Up minigame by having all fourteen beacons lit at the same time. Completion of the All Fired Up quest and level 92 Firemaking are required to obtain the inferno adze; additionally, there are several lesser requirements, which are listed below. The adze functions as a dragon hatchet when used to cut trees, and as a rune pickaxe when used to mine ores.
When using the adze to cut trees, there is a chance for the adze to instantly burn any logs received, for Woodcutting and Firemaking experience. Level 92 Firemaking is needed to wield the adze. Using the adze as a hatchet or pickaxe requires 61 Woodcutting and 41 Mining. The inferno adze cannot be added to the tool belt. Anything other than the dragon, crystal, or the Imcando pickaxe will be replaced with the adze if it is equipped or placed in a players' inventory.
Combat stats[edit | edit source]
|Armour||0.0||PvM: 0%||PvP: 0%|
|Life points||0||Style bonuses|
|FAQ • docs|
Obtaining[edit | edit source]
To obtain the Inferno adze, players must light all fourteen beacons simultaneously, then speak to King Roald while the beacons are lit. Boosts can be used to obtain the inferno adze; however, the effect will not activate nor will you be able to wield it unless you have level 92 Firemaking. The following is required to light all fourteen beacons:
The above items are required to repair various objects related to the beacons, and are only needed once. In addition to the above requirements, there are a number of recommended and optional quests, skill levels, and items that are useful for lighting the beacons. These may be found here.
The requirement of level 92 Firemaking may be boosted with a spicy stew in order to light the final beacon at the Frozen Waste Plateau. However, a Firemaking boost will not allow players to wield the inferno adze. It can still be used as a hatchet or pickaxe if kept in the inventory, but the adze's special effect will not activate.
Players can only have one inferno adze at a time. Players who lose their inferno adze can reclaim it from King Roald without having to play the minigame again.
Mining[edit | edit source]
|Damage (per swing)|
Special effect[edit | edit source]
When the inferno adze is used as a hatchet to chop a tree, in addition to cutting with the rate of a dragon hatchet, there is a 1/3 chance that the adze's heat will instantly incinerate any logs that it cuts, leaving behind no ashes and granting full Woodcutting and Firemaking experience for cutting and burning the logs. Firemaking experience gained in this manner is affected by the flame gloves and ring of fire. When the adze incinerates logs, a chat box message is displayed. The incineration effect will take place when cutting curly roots.
No special effect occurs when the adze is used as a pickaxe to mine ore; it simply acts as an ordinary rune pickaxe.
The inferno adze's incineration effect can make it a useful tool for Woodcutting and Firemaking training. Because some of the logs are incinerated, a player can chop more logs before their inventory fills up and can stay at trees longer without having to bank, resulting in a greater amount of Woodcutting experience per hour. The player also gains Firemaking experience as a bonus without needing to spend time lighting the logs. However, the automatic incineration might not be optimal for players who are cutting logs for money, such as elder logs, or gathering logs to use for Fletching or other activities. The Firemaking experience gained from incineration is also only equivalent to lighting a new bonfire, which is as much as 14.4% less experience than could be gained from adding the logs to an existing bonfire with multiple people using it or portable brazier instead. As such, players could simply light a bonfire and add logs in their inventory to the fire as an alternative to using the adze, yielding a greater amount of Firemaking experience, though it takes more time to burn the logs. The adze can still be a convenient option for players training Woodcutting even if they don't care about the amount of Firemaking experience gained by incineration because it reduces how often the player needs to clear their inventory.
Incinerated logs do still count toward fulfilling Daily Challenges for Firemaking and Woodcutting, even though the player doesn't actually get any logs.
The incineration effect does not activate when chopping at divine locations.
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- It All Adze Up ( 25) – Incinerate a log with your inferno adze, by cutting a tree in the Varrock Palace farming patch.
- My Adze is Bigger Than Yours ( 25) – Speak to King Roald with the inferno adze equipped.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 18 January 2021 (Update):
- ninja 17 September 2018 (Update):
- patch 23 April 2018 (Update):
- Clicking out of the All Fired Up inferno adze reward message now completed the respective Tribal Task as expected.
- patch 14 March 2016 (Update):
- patch 25 January 2016 (Update):
- The ring of fire, flame gloves and inferno adze are now protected on death.
- The following items can no longer have alchemy cast on them: inferno adze
- patch 11 January 2016 (Update):
- patch 29 May 2013 (Update):
- The inferno adze will now burn curly roots correctly when using Solomon’s Store skill override animations.
- patch 13 January 2014 (Update):
- The dragon pickaxe will now be used over the inferno adze, if you have the requirement to use it.
- patch 11 April 2012 (Update):
- Mining essence with an inferno adze now plays the animation correctly.
- patch 26 October 2009 (Update):
- Your shield hand item should no longer flash every few seconds when using the inferno adze.
- patch 25 February 2009 (Update):
- The inferno adze had the wrong Woodcutting requirement if you used it while you were wielding it.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- If both a hatchet and an inferno adze are in a player's inventory, the player will use the best hatchet available instead of the inferno adze. However if a dragon hatchet or lower is present on a player's tool belt and an adze is in their possession, they will use the adze instead of the hatchet whether or not the adze is in the inventory or being wielded.
- If a crystal hatchet is on the player's tool belt, it will take priority over the adze unless the adze is being wielded.
- Attempting to use the adze to cut trees on Miscellania or Etceteria results in the message "I don't think I should use the Inferno Adze in here, since there is a chance I might set the logs on fire." The adze also cannot be used to mine stone slabs.
- If a player cuts two regular logs at once using a Seer's headband and the inferno adze's special effect activates, both logs will be burnt but Firemaking experience will only be granted for one.
- The inferno adze's requirement of 92 Firemaking was the highest skill level needed to wield any piece of equipment, excluding the skillcapes, before the introduction of elite achievements.
- Max, seller of the max cape, uses an inferno adze to cut down a tree from a tree patch.
- The adze will not burn any scrapey tree logs or regular logs cut during the Trouble Brewing minigame.
- In a player's inventory, the adze will appear with a different colour scheme versus being wielded. This is due to a graphical bug pertaining to the item.
- Nature's Sentinel outfits and Superheat Form also have similar abilities to burn logs while Woodcutting.