In Pyre Need
|In Pyre Need (#149)|
|Release date||6 January 2009 (Update)|
|Start area||Kandarin North-west|
|Quest create ID||146|
|Infobox • Talk page|
In Pyre Need is a quest which introduced the phoenix Summoning familiar and phoenix eggling pets. Upon completion of this quest, players gain access to the Phoenix Lair, a daily distraction and diversion (D&D).
Official description[edit | edit source]
|“||An ancient avian of fiery disposition is in need of your help! Returning to its roost after a long time away from home, the phoenix encountered some trouble. Now it waits, weak and dying, isolated from the world. By chance, a priest with a suspicious amount of knowledge about the phoenix has appeared near its roost, and he is searching for an adventurer with the skills and the mettle to venture forth and aid the phoenix in its hour of need.||”|
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Speak to the Priest of Guthix outside a cave south-west of the Piscatoris Fishing Colony. Show on map|
|Member requirement||Members only|
|Official length||Short to Medium|
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.|
|Enemies to defeat||
Starting off[edit | edit source]
Talk to the Priest of Guthix, located at a cave entrance, south-west of the Piscatoris Fishing Colony to start the quest. The cave is located north-west of a fairy ring, code akq. You can also teleport to Eagle's Peak on the Lodestone Network then travel north.
The priest explains how the phoenix residing within the cave is reaching the end of her five hundred year lifespan. To ensure her survival, a Ritual of Rebirth needs to be performed, but because the phoenix is gravely injured, she's too weak to perform the ritual herself and requires the player's help.
The priest says that he is also too old and weak to help the creature, but knows how to perform the ritual to save her life.
After going through all the chat options enter the cave.
The Phoenix Lair[edit | edit source]
- Greater reborn mage
- Greater reborn warrior
- Greater reborn ranger
- Lesser reborn mage
- Lesser reborn warrior
- Lesser reborn ranger
Ignore the thralls. At regular intervals, the thralls say:
- Please, help the mistress.
- The mistress is in pain!
- The mistress is fading!
- Save the mistress!
- You must save the mistress!
- You must help the mistress!
The order of the caves is different for each player, although the order of the trees is the same.
There are 5 caves, and each cave contains 1 tree, located in the light green spots of each cave. The entrance to the next cave is marked in red, as a door/exit, on the minimap. If you leave and then return, the location of the trees may change. Remember that you cannot proceed into the next cave until you have harvested the twigs.
The Ritual of Rebirth[edit | edit source]
Proceed through the caves, and use the "Harvest-twigs" option on the trees. In all, you need to obtain 5 twigs, one of each kind:
Upon arrival at the final cave, you'll see the wounded Phoenix.
In this cave, there is an incomplete pyre, and a shrine containing a book, The Phoenix, written by the Guthixian priest Brian Twitcher. The book contains his notes following years of studying the Phoenix, however, it's not needed to complete this quest.
Use the "Fletch" option on the twigs, or alternatively click "Craft" on the pyre, to turn them into their respective weaving ribbons:
- Cinnamon weaving ribbon
- Sassafras weaving ribbon
- Ailanthus weaving ribbon
- Cedar weaving ribbon
- Mastic weaving ribbon
Use the weaving ribbons with the pyre or use the "Craft" option on the pyre. A cut-scene will show the Phoenix moving onto the pyre.
Click "Light" on the pyre. If the tinderbox is used on the phoenix, she politely reminds you to light the pyre instead (light the pyre, not me!). A cut-scene will show the phoenix burning, then turning into ash. The phoenix is then reborn.
Finishing up[edit | edit source]
Talk to the reborn Phoenix, and she will explain everything and thank you. She will give you 5 phoenix quills and the ability to challenge her in the future. Leave the cave, and talk to the Priest of Guthix to finish the quest.
Congratulations! Quest complete.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 1 quest point
- 14,400 experience
- 12,500 experience
- 11,556 experience
- 5 phoenix quills worth 99,085
- Access to the Phoenix Lair once per day; which is a Distraction and Diversion
- The chance to receive a Phoenix eggling pet while doing the Phoenix Lair.
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys (Ironman accounts will not receive these)
- Music unlocked
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- In Pyre Need ( 0) – Complete this quest.
- Arise from the Ash ( 10) – Defeat the phoenix once, after 'In Pyre Need'.
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
In Pyre Need is not currently required for any quests or miniquests.
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Credits[edit | edit source]
|In Pyre Need|
|Art & Graphics|
|Graphics||Matthew M, Mod Stead, Jeff K|
|Quality assurance||Nicola T|
|Quest Help||Katie B|
|Databox • Talk page|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 13 January 2009 (Update):
- The magic secateurs can now be used in "In Pyre Need".
- The fight in "In Pyre Need" has been fixed to cover some odd circumstances.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- On the day of release, the spoilers said: The rewards are hidden behind a thick layer of ash. Perhaps a timely gust of wind will reveal them tomorrow.
- When first talking to the priest, your character says: Hold your unicorns! This is a joke of the phrase "hold your horses" since there are no horses in RuneScape.
- The quest name "In Pyre Need" is based on the phrase "In dire need".
- In the In Pyre Need RuneScape banner, there's a character who seems to be wearing Armadyl armour and wielding a Zamorakian spear.
- After completing this quest, your Adventurer's Log will read, "I fulfilled the dreams of an old priest of Guthix by helping a wounded phoenix to be reborn."