|Imp Catcher (#9)|
|Release date||16 February 2001 (Update)|
|Main developer(s)||Original: Paul Gower|
1st rework: Greg V
2nd rework: Stuart W
|Quality assurance||Unknown edit|
|Infobox • Talk page|
- 1 Official description
- 2 Overview
- 3 Mizgog's Little Helper
- 4 Obtaining the beads
- 5 Returning the beads
- 6 Reward
- 7 Required for completing
- 8 Transcript
- 9 Development team
- 10 Rework
- 11 Second rework
- 12 Update history
- 13 Trivia
Official description[edit | edit source]
The Wizard Grayzag has summoned hundreds of little imps. They have stolen a lot of things belonging to the Wizard Mizgog, including his magic beads.
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Wizard Mizgog on the 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US] of the Wizards' Tower.|
|Member requirement||Free to play|
|Requirements||Skill requirements are not boostable unless marked with a [B] for boostable.
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.|
|Enemies to defeat||Choleric imp (level 5)|
Mizgog's Little Helper[edit | edit source]
Make your way to the Wizards' Tower, south of Draynor Village over a stone bridge. Ascend the beam in the centre of the tower once to reach the 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US]. Talk to Wizard Mizgog, located in the south-east room, and ask him what's wrong to find out he needs your help. He will tell you Wizard Grayzag's imps have stolen his four magical beads and wants you to get them back for him. He will then hand you a message, which provides further details.
Obtaining the beads[edit | edit source]
Mizgog's message reveals that his four magical beads are held by imps next to the four elemental runecrafting altars, which are found throughout Misthalin. Mizgog will not accept the beads dropped by regular imps, as these are fake beads created by Wizard Grayzag.
The beads can be obtained in any order.
Phlegmatic bead (Water altar)[edit | edit source]
The white phlegmatic bead is held by the phlegmatic imp, who is found next to the water altar, located just east of the Wizards' Tower in the north-western section of Lumbridge Swamp. Talk to the imp to discover that he is feeling ill and apathetic after taking a "white pill" given to him by Wizard Grayzag. Suggest that you could make him feel better by giving him a bowl of hot water, and he will ask you to get it for him.
An empty bowl can be found in the Lumbridge Castle kitchen, which can then be filled at the nearby sink and heated on the nearby range to obtain the hot water. As the range in the castle requires Cook's Assistant, players who haven't completed may use another range, such as the one in the house next to the graveyard to the south of the castle.
Give the imp the bowl of hot water, and he will inhale the steam to make himself feel better. He will then vomit up the phlegmatic bead. Pick the bead out of the vomit, and if you wish, talk to him again to learn more about why he was given the bead.
Choleric bead (Fire altar)[edit | edit source]
The yellow choleric bead is held by the choleric imp, found next to the fire altar to the north of Al Kharid, which is a short walk from Lumbridge Swamp. Speak to the imp, and he will take out his aggression by attacking you. He has the same stats as a regular imp, so should not be too difficult to defeat.
Once beaten, he will calm down slightly, and explain that he's been feeling angrier after swallowing a yellow bead, which he will proceed to vomit up. Take the bead, and optionally speak to him again to learn that Grayzag is working with Azacorax.
Melancholic bead (Earth altar)[edit | edit source]
The black melancholic bead is held by the melancholic imp, found next to the earth altar to the north-east of Varrock, just south of the Lumber Yard, and north of Al Kharid. Speak to the imp to find out he is suffering from depression after swallowing a black bead he was supposed to be safeguarding. To make him feel a bit better, select the following chat options:
- Why would he be disappointed?
- Some days you'll have setbacks. Tomorrow is a new day.
- Take your time. No one is rushing you to feel better.
He will then feel happier knowing that things will eventually get better, and proceeds to vomit up the bead. Take the bead from the vomit, and if you wish, speak to him again to learn more about Grayzag and Azacorax.
Sanguine bead (Air altar)[edit | edit source]
The red sanguine bead is held by the sanguine imp, found next to the air altar to the west of Varrock, and east of Barbarian Village. Speak to him to find out he is extremely hyperactive, and you will suggest he get some exercise by racing you around the air altar. He will agree to this, and the race will begin after a short countdown.
To win the race, simply run to the checkpoints around the altar as they appear. While the imp will initially be very quick, he will gradually lose energy and slow down, allowing you to overtake him and win. Once you win, he will feel more relaxed and vomit up the bead. Pick up the bead, and optionally talk to him again to learn more, although unlike the other imps he will not say much.
Returning the beads[edit | edit source]
Once you have the four beads, return to Wizard Mizgog and give them to him, and he will be overjoyed. He will then put them on his desk, and reward you with an amulet of accuracy.
Congratulations, quest complete!
Reward[edit | edit source]
- 1 quest point
- An amulet of accuracy
- Magic XP lamp, worth 875 experience
- Wizard Mizgog will from now on sell you amulets of accuracy for 5,000 coins.
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys and 2 Hearts of Ice
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
Imp Catcher is directly required for the following quests/miniquests:
- A Void Dance
- Children of Mah
- Full completion of Curse of the Black Stone
- Full completion of Desperate Times
- Dishonour among Thieves
- Fate of the Gods
- Full completion of Heart of Stone
- Kindred Spirits
- Mahjarrat Memories
- Full completion of Missing, Presumed Death
- Nomad's Elegy
- One of a Kind
- Sliske's Endgame
- Tales of Nomad
- The Light Within
- The Mighty Fall
- The Void Stares Back
- Full completion of The World Wakes
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Development team[edit | edit source]
- Developer: Paul Gower
- Conversion: Simon B
- QuestHelp: Nishal K
- Audio: Ian T
Rework[edit | edit source]
- Developer: Greg V
- Quality Assurance: Ben L
- Graphics: Matthew M
Second rework[edit | edit source]
- Developer: Stuart W
Update history[edit | edit source]
- hotfix 27 March 2017 (Update):
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Prior to 27 March 2017, Mizgog required regular, tradeable beads, allowing people to complete the quest almost instantly if the beads had been gathered or bought beforehand. Additionally, no special imps were involved in the quest.
- Upon completion of the quest, the player's Adventurer's Log will read: "After scouring the world for imps, I managed to collect enough beads to satisfy the wizard Grayzag."
- After completing the quest, if you talk to Juna, your character will say, "...It took some time, but I finally got all four beads back, and Mizgog gave me a reward." to which she replies, "Imps! I remember the age of great war, when armies of Zamorak's imps bloodied the ankles of the other gods' creatures."
- The four beads are named for the four temperaments, the Ancient Greek theory of personalities derived from humoralism. The body was theorised to contain four humours which must be kept in balance: the melancholy bead corresponds with black bile, the choleric bead corresponds with yellow bile, the phlegmatic bead corresponds with phlegm, and the sanguine bead corresponds with blood. Furthermore, the ailments of the imps in the quest are derived from the effects of the humours. An excess of black bile was thought to cause depression, an excess of yellow bile is thought to cause anger and aggression, an excess of phlegm is thought to cause apathy, and an excess of blood was thought to cause excessive energy.
- The locations of the four beads also correspond to the element each humour is associated with in Ancient Greek medicine. Blood was associated with air, yellow bile with fire, black bile with earth, and phlegm with water.
- After the quest was reworked in 2017, it became impossible to complete on free-to-play worlds due to the bowl of hot water being a members item. This was soon hotfixed by allowing regular bowls of water to be used, and fixed permanently a week later by making the bowl of hot water a non-members item.
|Removed or significantly changed|
|Italics denote that the quest was demoted to a miniquest.|