||20 November 2012 (Update)
||120 seconds (200 ticks)
|Show tenacity even in the face of death.
- Reduce all damage taken by 25%.
- 30s duration.
- If you die during this period, immediately return to life with 40% of your maximum lifepoints.
- The damage reduction effect is removed upon returning to life.
|Infobox • Talk page
Immortality is an ultimate Defence ability that requires a shield to use. When activated, melee, magic, ranged, and soft typeless damage the user receives is reduced by 25% for 30 seconds. If the user dies while the ability is in effect, they are returned to life, immediately cancelling Immortality. Immortality has a 30 second timer on the Buffs and debuffs bar.
When active, the ability essentially acts as a diminished variant of Reflect; it provides half the damage reduction of reflect and does not reflect said damage onto the aggressor(s). Unlike most other defensive abilities requiring a shield, Immortality's effect is consistent throughout all tiers of shields and defenders.
When the player is killed while under the effects of Immortality, a message will appear in the game box stating In a heroic stand you get a second wind! as the player is knocked down, but a blue hand lifts them back up. This will also recover 40% of the player's maximum health and provide a two second damage immunity from incoming attacks. Like signs and portents of life/death however, the player is temporarily bound due to the animation playing out. In PvP situations, this will also remove any Teleport Block effect that the player might have had.
Some bosses' mechanics ignore Immortality's effects:
- Vorago's pushing players off the platform in phase 5 (normal mode) or 10/11 (hard mode)
- Nex: Angel of Death's elements attack - attempting to do so will cause the message The sheer force of the pillars smashes through your Immortality effect!
- Telos, the Warden's instant kill bomb
- This has several discrepancies:
- The phase 4 bomb cannot be blocked by Immortality, regardless of enrage.
- The phase 5 bomb can be blocked by Immortality, but only in encounters of 999% and lower - it bypasses the effect in 1000% and higher enrage.
- Losing Solak's conscience in the final phase
- TzKal-Zuk's instant kill explosion
Monsters that use Immortality[edit | edit source]
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 5 February 2018 (Update):
- The Immortality effect now holds players in place for 1.2 seconds fewer once the ability activates upon death.
- patch 18 July 2016 (Update):
- Using Immortality to survive an instant-kill attack now consistently returns players to 40% of their max life points.
- patch 13 April 2015 (Update):
- Dying while under the effect of the Immortality ability while playing as another NPC will no longer remove the NPC override upon revival.
- Immortality was known as "Heroism" in the beta servers.