Illuminated god book

From the RuneScape Wiki, the wiki for all things RuneScape
Jump to navigation Jump to search
For other uses, see God book (disambiguation).
Illuminated Book of Law detail.png

Illuminated god books are the upgraded version of completed god books from the quest Horror from the Deep, and requires the completion of One Piercing Note as well as 60 Crafting and Prayer.

Creating an illuminated god book changes the appearance of the book, and also preserves the original book. If lost, the illuminated book can be re-obtained from bookcase in a player-owned house at a cost of 120,000 coins. Players cannot own more than one copy of the same illuminated god book at once.

Bonuses[edit | edit source]

ItemTypeAttributeStyle bonusPrice
Illuminated Book of Law.pngIlluminated Book of LawCombatSwords.png Hybrid--47771,158,971
Illuminated Book of War.pngIlluminated Book of WarCombatSwords.png Hybrid--477769,274
Illuminated Book of Balance.pngIlluminated Book of BalanceCombatSwords.png Hybrid--4777196,339
Illuminated Book of Wisdom.pngIlluminated Book of WisdomCombatSwords.png Hybrid--4777298,203
Illuminated Book of Chaos.pngIlluminated Book of ChaosCombatSwords.png Hybrid--4777388,262
Illuminated Ancient Book.pngIlluminated Ancient BookCombatSwords.png Hybrid--477754,845

Passive effects[edit | edit source]

God books and illuminated god books have a passive effect that activates in combat, with the effect dependent on the book. This effect needs to be charged and is done by using the corresponding torn page on an illuminated god book - each page adds 45 minutes charge and can be activated and deactivated like scrimshaw. Each book can be charged to a maximum of 3 hours consuming 4 pages.

The effects are identical to the non-illuminated version of the book. However, if the player loses the book, it will lose all its remaining charges, requiring the player to add additional pages in order to activate the passive effect.

Book God Hourly upkeep cost Passive effect in PVM Passive effect in PVP
Illuminated Book of Law.png: RS3 Inventory image of Illuminated Book of LawIlluminated Book of Law Armadyl 453,746.67 (Armadyl page 1) A tornado spins at the target's location dealing 4 hits of damage in 4 ticks, dealing 30-50%, 30-50%, 60-100%, and 60-100% damage for a total of 180-300% damage. This book has a 5% chance of activation. 10-30%, 10-30%, 20-60%, 20-60%; total 60-180%). If the target moves from the tornado, the damage is halted.
Illuminated Book of War.png: RS3 Inventory image of Illuminated Book of WarIlluminated Book of War Bandos 28,558.5 (Bandos page 1) A shockwave hits the target, dealing 90-150% damage, reducing the target's Defence level by 5% + 5 and increasing its affinity values by 3 for 12 seconds. This book has a 5% chance of activation. 30-90% damage
Illuminated Book of Balance.png: RS3 Inventory image of Illuminated Book of BalanceIlluminated Book of Balance Guthix 74,090.67 (Guthix page 1) The sword of edicts falls on the target, then burns and explodes. This deals an initial hit of 90-150%, 3 hits of 7.5-12.5%, and finally a hit of 37.5-62.5% (with the final hit being split in a 3x3 area, if there are multiple targets nearby), for a total of 150-250%. This book has a 5% chance of activation. Initially 30-90%, 3 hits of 2.5-7.5%, and 12.5-37.5 AoE; total 50-150%.
Illuminated Book of Wisdom.png: RS3 Inventory image of Illuminated Book of WisdomIlluminated Book of Wisdom Saradomin 109,386.67 (Saradomin page 1) A lightning strike hits the target for 165-275% damage 55-165% damage
Illuminated Book of Chaos.png: RS3 Inventory image of Illuminated Book of ChaosIlluminated Book of Chaos Zamorak 132,689.33 (Zamorak page 1) A dark explosion hits the target and the surrounding targets in a 3x3 area for 150-250% damage split over all targets 50-150% damage
Illuminated Ancient Book.png: RS3 Inventory image of Illuminated Ancient BookIlluminated Ancient Book Zaros 23,964 (Ancient page 1) Icicles hit and surround the target, dealing 120-200% damage and binding the target for 4 seconds. 40-120% damage

Creation[edit | edit source]

The location of the book-making table

Making an illuminated god book requires the completion of One Piercing Note as well as 60 Crafting and Prayer. Completing each illuminated god book for the first time awards 10,000 Crafting and Prayer experience.

To make an illuminated god book
  1. You need to own any god book obtained from the Horror from the Deep quest
  2. Buy or acquire all 4 pages of the god book of your choice, and add them to the book, completing it
  3. Teleport to Al Kharid and run east to the Abbey of St. Elspeth Citharede
  4. Head to the room with the Book-making table, which is close to the entrance of the Abbey
  5. Use a completed god book on the Book-making table in the room most south of Abbess Benita
  6. Do the following steps in the correct order. If you fail you'll have to start over.
    1. Copy text
    2. Embellish initial capitals
    3. Add colour
    4. Add gold leaf
  7. You will create an illuminated god book.
  8. You can destroy or bank the original god book as it serves no purpose.
  • A newly created illuminated god book will have no charges, regardless of the status of the book used to create it.
  • Each of the four steps in copying the book requires 200–250 Prayer points, with each successive step requiring fewer Prayer points. Therefore, having 80 Prayer makes the process of creating illuminated god books faster and easier.
  • If player runs out of Prayer points required to finish a step, there is an altar in the oratory at the east end of the abbey to recharge Prayer. This allows the player to make multiple books without having to leave the abbey. It is possible to do the last step without having 200 Prayer points remaining. Overall, if a Prayer renewal potion is used, you can keep creating "sections" of the book each time your Prayer points reach 210.

Cosmetic overrides[edit | edit source]

Since 21 August 2017 completing illuminated god books unlock cosmetic overrides for them. Each completed god book unlocks the respective recolour option, and once all have been unlocked, ten further recolours become available along with the optional use of prismatic dyes.

There are two override variants for illuminated god books: Illuminated God Book (Magic Off-hand) and Illuminated God Book (Shield).

Gallery[edit | edit source]

Update history[edit | edit source]

This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
  • update 22 February 2016 (Update):
    • God books are now equipped in the pocket slot instead of the off-hand slot.
    • Each god book has a special proc effect that is unique to the god it represents, with a chance to activate whenever you attack.
    • You can use god book pages on god books to recharge them.
    • God books require 30 or 40 Prayer to wear (regular and illuminated versions respectively).
    • Unfinished god books are wearable in the pocket slot but provide weaker bonuses and no proc effect.
    • Reclaiming god books from a player-owned house bookcase now incurs a cost (100k for completed, 120k for illuminated).
  • patch 7 January 2014 (Update):
    • The illuminated god books have been renamed to match the changes made to the regular versions.
  • patch 24 June 2013 (Update):
    • The illuminated books of the gods can now be added to the Player-Owned House bookcase.
  • patch 4 March 2013 (Update):
    • Creating Illuminated god books is now using the correct amount of prayer points per step.

Trivia[edit | edit source]

  • The god books are written by the followers of the gods, and are not official dictates by the gods themselves.[1]
  • The Crafting and Prayer experience received is considered reward experience and is therefore unaffected by experience-boosting sets.

References[edit | edit source]

  1. ^ Jagex. Mod Osborne's Twitter account. 9 October 2013. (Archived from the original on 9 October 2013.) Mod Osborne: "They were transcribed by followers based on the gods as they were ages ago. I'd say that makes them inaccurate with some truth."