Ignatius Vulcan is a non-player character who wanders around in the forest north-east of the Sorcerer's Tower making fires. He claims that he neglected his combat skills, as well as Mining, and questing, in order to become the master of Firemaking. He has such skill in Firemaking that whenever he lights a fire, no ashes remain.
For players with level 99 in Firemaking, Ignatius sells the firemaking cape for 99,000 coins. He also owns his own store, Ignatius's Hot Deals, selling items related to Firemaking. Players with level 120 in Firemaking can also buy a Firemaking master cape for 120,000 coins.
In Issue 36 of the Postbag from the Hedge (released November 2008), he reveals he is friends with Blaze Sharpeye, a pyromaniac:
||I gave a pile (of cursed magic logs) to my good friend Blaze, who used them to light a beacon. Before he could put the fire out, the smoke had formed into the shape of the King Black Dragon! Varrock was thrown into a complete state of panic, and poor Blaze had his wages docked.
|— Ignatius Vulcan Postbag from the Hedge 36
|The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- ninja 7 April 2015 (Update):
- Some skillcape sellers that had been left out have now been given the correct capes and hair colours:
- Ajjat and Ignatius Vulcan have had their hair re-dyed.
- He was introduced into the game at the same time as the Capes of Accomplishment, as Jagex could not find another NPC who was appropriately associated with Firemaking to sell the skillcape.
- It is revealed in The Firemaker's Curse that he is partners with Sera.
- The name "Ignatius" comes from the Latin word ignis, which means fire. Similarly, the name "Vulcan" comes from the Latin word vulcānus, who is the Roman god of fire and metalworking.
- He and Ajjat are the only cape sellers to wear a trimmed version of their cape. Kaqemeex once wore a trimmed cape as well, but it was changed to untrimmed during the skillcape graphical update.
- The fires he lights cannot be used as bonfires to train Firemaking with, and when you examine them it says "Hot!" instead of "A (log type) log fire". Also, his fires have not been graphically updated and players can only cook on them.
- When he makes a fire, he uses the old animation of making a fire.
- He seems to be wearing an old version of the gilded armour set.