The icyene are a race of incredibly long-lived winged beings who arrived in Gielinor before the God Wars. The icyene are generally (though not always) aligned to the god Saradomin and are some of his most powerful followers. They are originally from the realm of Hallow which was also home to the skypouncer.
Physical characteristics[edit | edit source]
Although icyene visually resemble humans, this likeness appears to be only skin deep. An Icyene's internal anatomy is noted to be utterly alien to a human, even one versed in medicine. Moreover, some icyene possess dark blue skin,which is beyond the usual range of pigmentation found in humans. Icyene are also generally tallerand physically strongerthan most humans; and they can live for thousands of years. Nevertheless, icyene and humans are able to interbreed, as seen with Safalaan Hallow.
Icyene have wings which they can use to fly. At a minimum, all icyene appear to be born with a single set of wings, protruding from near their shoulder blades, but some icyene also have a second set of wings on their lower back.
History[edit | edit source]
Hailing from Hallow, the icyene have made the planet their home for thousands of years. Great value was placed on their wings, the removal of which meant humiliation and disfigurement, or in the case on their home planet, almost certain death.
Icyene culture was shaped from the living conditions of Hallow, where the planet had long night cycles which spelled certain doom for any icyene that remained in the darkness. Therefore, the icyene built their capital, New Domina, with technology that allowed it to catch up with the sun, giving them endless quantities of sunlight. The icyene are generally considered to be followers of the light, both literally and figuratively. Outside of the capital, the icyene pre-built villages and other establishments, which were in use whenever the light bore down upon it. When the darkness approached, the icyene in those areas quickly packed up and moved on to the next set of islands.
The icyene encountered Saradomin, who found their ideals similar to his own. They saw Saradomin as a benevolent being, and eagerly followed their new god. Saradomin took a majority of the icyene specialising in martial ability with him to Gielinor. Efaritay was among them. There are still icyene living in Hallow, presumably many of which are farmers.
Their territory on the new planet was called the Hallowland, known as Morytania in the present day. Notable cities were the first settlement and lighthouse of Everlight, and the capital of Hallowvale. Due to their ability to fly, coupled with their martial prowess, the icyene were a mighty addition to Saradomin's armies for any war that would come. The icyene could hold off Lowerniel Drakan's vampyres with their capability of overriding the vampyres' innate ability to predict attacks and their wings allowing them to efficiently fight the Vyrewatch. However, Drakan took the upper hand when his vampyres captured Queen Efaritay's husband, Ascertes, and the majority of the military icyene had fled under Archon Bable's orders, though their fate remains unknown.
After Efaritay's surrender, almost all the remaining icyene were captured under Drakan's orders, subjected to haemalchemy and converted into vyrewatch or wyrds, the latter of which were destroyed when Drakan realised they were uncontrollable. Many of the icyene underwent a secret ritual to keep their souls redeemable when they could be liberated. 
The icyene across Gielinor fought throughout the God Wars. After Guthix expelled all other gods from the plane, Saradomin took what remained of his army back to New Domina, where they would be quickly deployed to end a civil war that had erupted during his absence.
There are currently four known full-blooded icyene alive on Gielinor in the Sixth Age. The first is Commander Zilyana, who led Saradomin's army during the battle of the Godsword, a weapon which was planned to be used to destroy Zamorak. She survived the God Wars because the dungeon in which the battle was held was frozen by Guthix, in the act which put an end to the God Wars. The dungeon thawed during Year 169 of the Fifth Age, along with all the armies within it, and Commander Zilyana still resides there with her armies, although she left briefly during the events surrounding Guthix's death, as well as during other instances to support or represent Saradomin. Not much is known about Padomenes, the icyene who led Saradomin's army during the Battle of Lumbridge, though he continues to train recruits at White Knights' Castle. The third is Garlandia, a member of the Godless faction who currently resides north of Falador with Kara-Meir. She turned away from Saradomin after he publicly tore her wings off for not wishing to fight in his armies. The last is Efaritay, once Queen of Hallowvale, kept prisoner by Lord Drakan for over 6000 years. She escaped in the Year 169 of the Fifth Age after Lord Drakan was killed; she now resides on top of Castle Drakan after River of Blood.
In The Branches of Darkmeyer, it's revealed that Safalaan Hallow is a half-blood icyene, something that was long speculated due to the fact that he has the same surname as Queen Efaritay, as well as his size, colour of eyes, and mysterious powers that he displays in the quest Legacy of Seergaze. He was one of the leaders of the Myreque resistance against the Drakans, an occupation for which his icyene powers are very useful. Safalaan was the son of Queen Efaritay and Ascertes, making him the only half-blood icyene currently known. Safalaan was eventually "killed" by Vanescula Drakan during The Lord of Vampyrium so she could cross the River Salve in an attempt to reconquer Misthalin.
Notable icyene[edit | edit source]
- Commander Zilyana - Saradomin's favoured general and the leader of his forces in the God Wars Dungeon.
- Queen Efaritay - Former ruler of Hallowvale and wife of King Ascertes. Surrendered control of the kingdom to Lord Drakan during the God Wars following her husband's capture and was sealed in his castle prior to his demise. Currently assists in overseeing Morytania after River of Blood. Also the mother of Safalaan Hallow.
- Sergeant Mazakon† - A commander in the army of Saradomin during the God Wars. Mazakon was killed by a Zamorakian demon known as The Ripper after escorting Saint Elspeth to rally more troops for the Saradominist cause.
- Safalaan Hallow - The son of Queen Efaritay , Safalaan is the half-icyene leader of the Sanguinesti division of The Myreque, freedom fighters who sought to topple Drakan's rulership over Morytania.
- Padomenes - Saradomin's general during The Battle of Lumbridge against the forces of Zamorak, led by the Mahjarrat half-breed Moia. Now train recruits at White Knights' Castle.
- Garlandia - A Godless icyene whose wings were torn off by Saradomin after she stated she would rather not fight in his army.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Their appearance and abilities are allegedly based on the common perceptions of angels. This is supported by the fact that icyene like Commander Zilyana fit the description of angels, namely their stature, wings, ability to fly, and association with light.
- The icyene is a playable unit in the FunOrb game Armies of Gielinor.
- Icyene are able to interbreed with humans. Safalaan Hallow is the result of such a union, as he is half icyene and half human. Elspeth is also purported to be another such individual, although this is only mentioned in the lore The Song From Before The War, and is not explored ingame.
- There are statues of icyene in the Abbey of St. Elspeth Citharede.
- There is a carving of the face of an icyene in the cellar of the Abbey of St. Elspeth Citharede.
- A small carving of an icyene can be found in a Saradomin statuette.
- Since their appearance are also angelic (as noted above), it is possible they are also featured on Saradomin carvings.
- The icyene seem to possess notable power against the vampyres, as shown during the Morytania quest series.
- Zaros created the ice nihil out of the essence of icyene.
- The name icyene is likely derived from the Iceni tribe of Britons lead by Boudica.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Mod Mike. "Skypouncer vs. Blazehound." 17 December 2012. General Forums.
- ^ The Song From Before The War, "Lores and Histories", RuneScape. "Some of the women were tending to him; they had cleaned and bound his wounds, but besides that they had told me there was nothing they could do. His anatomy was alien to them, and what they knew of medicine didn't apply."
- ^ a b The Song From Before The War, "Lores and Histories", RuneScape. "anxious to hear what an icyene from the war would say. He towered over us, the ceiling of the great hall only just high enough for him to stand up straight. His skin was a very dark blue"
- ^ Efaritay, Garlandia, Padomenes, and Zilyana are all taller than the Player
- ^ Zilyana holds the Saradomin sword in one hand whereas the Player requires two
- ^ Seen on Zilyana, Efaritay, and the painting of Padosan
- ^ Efaritay, "River of blood", RuneScape. "Drakan mocked me for years about his experiments with an offshoot of blood magic called haemalchemy. He threatened to turn my husband and son into vyres on a number of occasions. Over time, it was clear that Drakan learned to regret those experiments. The advent of wyrds was one such cause for that regret. It must be why he spared Safalaan...though not my husband. Wyrds are rare occurrences, so he told me, only created when someone with icyene heritage was turned. The closer to icyene a subject was, the larger and stronger the wyrd."