The HiScores is a website feature in which players are ranked by their experience in skills. The HiScores are updated with a player's stats each time they log out or leave to the lobby, with the exception that a player's hiscores do not update if they are automatically logged out of the game due to a system update.
The HiScores include a free-to-view Application Programming Interface (API) which can be used to track players, their clans and seasonal activities.
Ironman Mode players and Hardcore Ironmen both have their own separate HiScores where applicable, but they both also appear on the regular Hiscores. Hardcore Ironmen also appear on the normal Ironman HiScores.
Skills[edit | edit source]
Conditions[edit | edit source]
For players to appear on the HiScores:
- They must have a minimum skill level of 15 in the skill (2,411 experience points).
- A minimum of 2,154 experience points is required to appear in the "Overall - All Time" table.
- At least 1,000 experience points within the relevant time frame is required to appear in a weekly or monthly hiscore table.
- The account must not be banned or locked. Banned/locked accounts are removed from the HiScores. If an account is unbanned/unlocked, it appears on the HiScores again.
- Jagex Moderator accounts (on which they can change stats and spawn items) do not necessarily appear on the HiScores. Most of these accounts begin with the word "Mod" except for Andrew, Paul, and Ian. Jagex Moderators' real private accounts, however, do appear on the HiScores. These are just regular accounts with no special powers that Jagex Moderators play on for fun.
- In order for a free-to-play account to appear in the HiScores, it must have logged in at least once since the update on 31 March 2014 which granted free players access to the HiScores again.
Minimum levels[edit | edit source]
In order to appear in the HiScores, a player must have achieved level 15 in a skill, unless more than two million players are already ranked. In that case, a player must have enough experience in the skill such that they are in the top two million players. The following table shows the current minimum levels for each skill to be ranked on the HiScores.
Clans[edit | edit source]
- The total skill levels of all clan members
- The total amount of XP gained in each skill by all clan members since joining the clan
- The total level of all clan members
- The total amount of XP gained by all clan members since joining the clan
- The total combat level of all clan members
- The total amount of players that clan members killed in the wilderness since joining the clan
- The total amount of times clan members died since joining the clan
- The number of players in the clan
- The number of Rated Clan Wars points the clan has in both free and members rated Clan Wars
- The kill/death ratio of the clan
Players are able to sort them by any category.
Seasonal[edit | edit source]
Seasonal HiScores were released along with RuneScape 3. They take place over allotted periods of time, and can involve various types of content, including boss kills, deaths, and amount of coins donated. Current Seasonal HiScores can be viewed through the Community Tab of the Control Panel, and both previous and past hiscores can be viewed on the RuneScape website.
Winners are rewarded with the Crown of Supremacy, which becomes the Crown of Legends when the Seasonal Hiscore ends. Along with the crown, players also unlock an emote and a new title corresponding to the competition that they won.
Activities[edit | edit source]
Minimum scores[edit | edit source]
Minigames set the minimum "level" needed to be ranked differently, according to the scoring system. See the table below.
|Duel Arena Tournaments||1800 rank|
|Bounty Hunter||250 kills (of assigned targets)|
|Bounty Hunter Rogues||250 kills (other than your Bounty Hunter target)|
|Fist of Guthix||500 rating|
|Mobilising Armies||300 rank|
|Barbarian Assault attackers||500 Honour Points (in the Attacker role)|
|Barbarian Assault defenders||500 Honour Points (in the Defender role)|
|Barbarian Assault collectors||500 Honour Points (in the Collector role)|
|Barbarian Assault healers||500 Honour Points (in the Healer role)|
|Castle Wars||500 games played|
|Dominion Tower||50,000 total Dominion Factor|
|The Crucible||500 kills|
|GG: Resource Race||250|
|WE2: Armadyl Lifetime Contribution||250|
|WE2: Bandos Lifetime Contribution||250|
|WE2: Armadyl PvP Kills||1|
|WE2: Bandos PvP Kills||1|
|Heist Guard Level||1|
|Heist Robber Level||1|
|CFP: 5 Game Average||1|
|Clue scrolls (easy)||1|
|Clue scrolls (medium)||1|
|Clue scrolls (hard)||1|
|Clue scrolls (elite)||1|
|Clue scrolls (master)||1|
Former HiScores[edit | edit source]
The following hiscores have been removed, but had the given minimum scoring to be ranked while active.
|Activity||Minimum score needed to be ranked|
|WE1: Saradomin Team Contribution||250|
|WE1: Zamorak Team Contribution||250|
|AF15: Cow tipping||5,000|
|AF15: Rat kills after miniquest||5,000|
History[edit | edit source]
The original HiScores table was updated weekly with players' ranks overall, levels, experience, and change in rank. It recorded the top 2,000 players. The Hiscores have also had the number of recorded players gradually increase over the years; it was changed to a maximum of 500,000 on 24 May 2004, a maximum of 1,000,000 on 25 August 2005, and finally a maximum of 2,000,000 on 9 July 2008.
The HiScores have been reworked multiple times, including on 21 November 2003 (Update:Hiscores Reborn!), on 30 January 2006 (Update:New Look Hiscores), and on 22 November 2011 (Update:RuneScape Revolution).
It was announced on 15 November 2011 that from week commencing 21 November 2011, the hiscores would be no longer be available to free players, in order to remove dormant accounts from the hiscores and give new paying members a chance to get high on the scores. This caused a significant amount of controversy on the RuneScape Forums.
On 22 November 2011, the re-structure was implemented, making it a members'-only feature. When a term of membership elapsed, there was a 14 day grace period in which the account would remain on the hiscores. After this period, the account would not be shown on the hiscores until it was re-subscribed. This re-structure lowered the minimum requirement to be ranked in a free-to-play skill from 30 to 15.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
The old Clan Wars hiscores
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 26 February 2018 (Update):.
- Five new activity high scores have been added for lifetime clue scrolls completed of each tier. These can be accessed from the hiscores tab of the Community parent interface in-game, or from the hiscores page on the RuneScape website.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In 2006, before its release, an early picture of the Dragon pickaxe could be found at the top of the HiScores.
- Hunter, Summoning, and Mobilising Armies were temporarily leaked to the HiScores before they were officially released.
- On May 2012, S U O M I wrapped around the overall XP counter. Because of this happening, it can be assumed that Jagex uses 4 bytes to store the value of overall experience on the HiScores.
- The first player to get 1,000,000,000 XP in a month was zpf during the month of February 2019.