|Heroes' Quest (#22)|
|Release date||27 February 2002 (Update)|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Official description[edit | edit source]
|“||You will first have to prove you are worthy to enter the Heroes' Guild. To prove your status as a hero, you will need to obtain a number of items. There are many challenges standing between you and these items.||”|
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Achietties outside the Heroes' Guild, north of Taverley.|
|Member requirement||Members only|
|Requirements||Skill requirements are not boostable unless marked with a [B] for boostable.
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.
|Enemies to defeat|
Achietties' errand[edit | edit source]
To begin, head to the Heroes' Guild in Taverley (it is quicker to use the Lodestone in Burthorpe) and speak to Achietties standing outside the guild. She tells you that the requirement of joining the guild is bringing her the following three items: an Entranan firebird feather, a cooked lava eel and a master thief's armband.
The items can be retrieved and brought to Achietties in any order.
The Entrana firebird[edit | edit source]
Items recommended: Means to teleport to the law altar (e.g. a wicked hood with a consumed law talisman)
You are not required to speak with the High Priest to begin searching for the ice gloves – you can head directly to the White Wolf Mountain. Moreover, if you already possess a pair of ice gloves, you can simply bring them to Entrana, fight the firebird near the law altar, and pick up the Entranan firebird feather while wearing the gloves.
Make sure all your armour and weapons are banked, and head to Entrana by your preferred method of transportation. Once there, talk to the High Priest in the church about the firebird. According to legends, a firebird's mere touch can burn human flesh, but an ancient hero named Camorra made use of a pair of magical gloves, stolen from the Queen of the Ice, to catch the firebird and keep it as a pet. The priest does not know where to find the queen, as he says it is just a myth he was told as a child. However, he suggests searching for clues in the White Wolf Mountain.
Obtaining the ice gloves[edit | edit source]
From Taverley walk up the eastern side of the mountain and enter the cave just west of Grimgnash which places you on the summit near 3 trapdoors. Just east of the trapdoors is a mine-able rock slide blocking the way to 3 ladders – right click it and mine it; you will automatically walk through.
- Go down the southern-most ladder and follow the tunnel southwest.
- Climb up the ladder towards the end and you will be on the summit of the mountain with several level 51 Ice Giants and 3 ladders.
- Go down the east ladder and follow the tunnel north past the ice spiders and ice giants, following the tunnel as it loops around.
- Climb up the ladder at the end and you will be just east of the first 3 ladders you started at.
- Climb down the north ladder and follow the path until the dungeon opens into the Ice Queen's throne room, which contains several level 54 ice warriors and the level 77 Ice Queen.
The queen is relatively stronger than her combat level suggests, and attacking her will make the ice warriors aggressive towards you.
The ice warriors are aggressive to low-level players, and hit fairly accurately.
If your Prayer level is 43 or higher, using Protect from Melee will make the fight much easier. By standing near the northern wall, you can avoid the ice warriors and still be able to attack the queen. Kill her and pick up the ice gloves. You may teleport out or make your way back through the dungeon and head to Port Sarim.
Obtaining the feather[edit | edit source]
With the ice gloves equipped, go to Entrana and head to the northern part of the island. The Entranan firebird can be found near the law altar and it has only 50 life points. Simply kill the firebird and it will drop a Entranan firebird feather. Make sure you are wearing the ice gloves when you pick it up.
Lava eel[edit | edit source]
Items recommended: Dusty key, unless your Agility level is at least 70, or a Mask of the Black Demon for faster access to the lava eels in the Taverley Dungeon
Go to Port Sarim and talk to Gerrant in his fishing shop. Ask him about catching lava eels, and he tells you that you just need a fishing rod that has a lava-proof line. This can be done by applying some blamish oil on an ordinary rod. He gives you a vial of blamish snail slime, and tells you to mix it with a vial of water and a harralander (or a harralander potion (unf)) to obtain some blamish oil, which requires 25 Herblore.
Buy a fishing rod from Gerrant, and right-click (to avoid accidentally drinking) and "Use" the blamish oil on it to turn it into an oily fishing rod. If you do not have any fishing bait yet, you can buy it from Gerrant or pick it up from the spawn points near the Taverley dungeon entrance, if you choose to go there.
Lava eel fishing spots can be found in two locations: the Taverley dungeon and the Lava Maze in the Wilderness. The Taverley dungeon is reasonably safer than going to the Lava Maze, although it is more time consuming, unless you possess level 70 Agility or a Mask of the Black Demon.
- Taverley Dungeon: After the Blue Dragons but before the Black Demons.
If you already have 70 agility or a dusty key, you can skip directly to the room with the blue dragons.
The Taverley dungeon entrance can be found just south of Taverley. Walk through the dungeon, past the skeletons, ghosts, black knights, magic axes and poison scorpions. If you have a dusty key, cross the bridge and head north until you see the lesser demons.
To obtain the dusty key, go past the scorpions and continue south-west after the hill giants to enter the black knights' hideout. Head south-east to the jail, kill the jailer and pick up his jail key. Open the jail cell holding Velrak the Explorer and talk to him to get a dusty key. To make getting dusty keys easier in the future, speak to him again to make him relocate to the dungeon entrance.
With the key, open the door near the lesser demons and head across the room with the blue dragons, until you get to three fishing spots. Use your oily fishing rod and some bait to catch some raw lava eels, which requires 53 Fishing.
- Lava Maze:
Make sure you have the oily fishing rod and some bait and head to the Lava Maze in the Wilderness. The lava fishing spot can be found in the middle of the maze, between the first and second webs and is marked on the map with a fishing spot icon (). Fish out some raw lava eels.
This is easier than going through the Taverley dungeon (unless you possess 70 agility), although significantly more risky, as you may be killed.
Finally, once you have your eel, regardless of how you obtained it, cook it on a range or fire to get a cooked lava eel, which requires 53 Cooking.
Master thief's armband[edit | edit source]
Obtaining the master thief's armband can either be done solo or with the assistance of another player, requiring different items in each case.
Regardless of whether you're completing the quest solo or with a partner, you only need to complete parts related with the Varrock thieves' gang that you are associated with. Completing this segment of the quest with a partner may be easier, unless you have a high Thieving level (50+ recommended).
To find out what gang you are in, you can simply check your quest log for the Shield of Arrav quest. Alternatively, you can speak to either Katrine (Black Arm Gang) or Straven (Phoenix Arm Gang) in Varrock. If you are not part of their gang, they will ask if you'd like to change gangs. Players can freely change gangs before or after the quest, and other players can help you even if they have already finished Heroes' Quest.
You may choose to do the quest with the help of a partner from the opposite gang. Finding a partner might be easier on World 100 (Group Questing), or through the many questing clans who offer help to those in need of a partner.
Buying the required quest item from other players without completing the quest sections will not allow you to progress in the quest.
Black Arm Gang[edit | edit source]
Head to the Black Arm Gang's hideout in south-western Varrock. Speak to Katrine about becoming a master thief, and she'll tell you about the highly secure artefacts in Brimhaven, one of which is held by the pirate leader, ScarFace Pete. If you want the armband, you must steal Pete's candlesticks and bring it back to her. You can use the help of your fellow gang members in Brimhaven, by using the password, "Four leaved clover".
Go to Brimhaven and try to enter the gang office, located just east of the bar, but Grubor will stop you. Simply say the password to be let in. Once inside, talk to Trobert to become acquainted with the plan. Apparently, one of the keys to Pete's treasure room is with Grip, Pete's head guard. Grip is hiring a new deputy named Hartigan, a rogue black knight looking to join the pirates. The gang has managed to ambush the knight and steal his ID papers, and are waiting for someone to fill the position.
Agree to the plan and take the papers from Trobert. Equip the black armour set and walk to Pete's mansion, the large building in the north-west part of the town. Show Garv the papers and he will let you inside.
- Duo method
Go talk to Grip inside and ask him about your duties and whether there's anything to be done. He asks you to find the purpose of one of the mansion's keys; you must give the miscellaneous key to your Phoenix Gang partner.
Go into the north-east room and wait for your partner to assume their place in the neighbouring east-side room. Once they are, search the wall cabinet; Grip will then come into the room, yelling at you to stop rummaging through his stuff. Shut the door as soon as he enters the room, so that he stays in long enough for your partner to kill him. After he is dead, pick up Grip's key.
Go to the treasure room in the north-west part of the mansion and use Grip's key to open the door. Search the chests and take the two candlesticks. Leave the mansion and give the extra candlestick to your partner. Go back to Varrock and talk to Katrine to become a master thief and receive the master thief's armband.
- Solo method
Speak to Grip, then go directly to the treasure room in the north-west part of the mansion and use a lockpick or hair clip on the door – you may fail and break the lockpick. Search the chests and take the two candlesticks (you only require one of them). Leave the mansion, head back to Varrock and talk to Katrine to become a master thief and receive the master thief's armband.
Phoenix Gang[edit | edit source]
Head to the Phoenix Gang Hideout in southern Varrock and talk to Straven. He tells you to steal the much-coveted candlesticks, belonging to the pirate leader ScarFace Pete, and stored in his mansion in Brimhaven. He also tells you to take help of the Phoenix Gang associates in Brimhaven – Charlie the Cook and Alfonse the Waiter – by using the password, "Gherkin".
Travel to the Shrimp and Parrot food shop in Brimhaven, located north of the pub, and talk to Alfonse about 'gherkins'. He tells you to go around in the back and speak to Charlie. Charlie will tell you that they haven't made great progress in retrieving the candlesticks, however, they have figured out a way to enter the mansion undetected.
- Duo method
Take the miscellaneous key from your Black Arm Gang partner and go through the secret wall panel between the door and the stove, and into the yard. Run past the guard dogs and enter the mansion through the side door with some barrels next to it. Once inside, use the miscellaneous key on the north door to get into a room with a cross-shaped window. Your partner should be standing there beside Grip; wield your ranged or magic weapon and shoot/cast at Grip through the hole in the west wall. Once dead, he will drop his keys for your partner to pick up, who will obtain two candlesticks and trade you one of them.
- Solo method
Once you have spoken to Charlie, you will be able to bribe the guard Garv with 1000 coins, or alternatively, wear the ring of charos (a) and Garv will trust you to enter the mansion west of the food shop. Go to the treasure room in the north-west part of the mansion and use a lockpick or hair clip on the door – you may fail and break the lockpick. Search the chests and take the two candlesticks (you only require one of them). Leave the mansion, head back to Varrock and talk to Straven to become a master thief and receive the master thief's armband.
Becoming a hero[edit | edit source]
Congratulations, quest complete!
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 1 quest point
- A lamp awarding 3,075 experience
- A lamp awarding 3,075 experience
- A lamp awarding 3,075 experience
- A lamp awarding 3,075 experience
- A lamp awarding 2,075 experience
- A lamp awarding 2,725 experience
- A lamp awarding 2,825 experience
- A lamp awarding 1,575 experience
- A lamp awarding 1,575 experience
- A lamp awarding 2,257 experience
- A lamp awarding 2,575 experience
- A lamp awarding 1,325 experience
- Access to the Heroes' Guild
- Ability to wield the dragon battleaxe and dragon mace, and buy them, along with their off-hand variants, from the Happy Heroes' H'emporium shop in the guild
- Access to the Black Arm Gang hideout in Brimhaven (if you are in the Black Arm Gang)
- Access to the garden beside Scarface Pete's house (if you are in the Phoenix Gang)
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys (Ironman accounts will not receive these)
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Heroes' Quest ( 0) – Complete this Experienced quest.
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
Heroes' Quest is directly required for the following quests/miniquests:
- Full completion of Azzanadra's Quest
- Full completion of Battle of the Monolith (miniquest)
- Blood Runs Deep
- Children of Mah
- City of Senntisten
- Full completion of Curse of the Black Stone
- Desperate Measures
- Full completion of Desperate Times
- Dishonour among Thieves
- Eye of Het I (miniquest)
- Eye of Het II (miniquest)
- Fate of the Gods
- Glorious Memories
- Full completion of Heart of Stone
- Full completion of Hero's Welcome
- In Memory of the Myreque
- Kindred Spirits
- Koschei's Troubles
- Love Story
- Mahjarrat Memories
- Full completion of Missing, Presumed Death
- Full completion of Nadir (saga)
- Nomad's Elegy
- Once Upon a Time in Gielinor: Finale
- Full completion of Once Upon a Time in Gielinor: Fortunes
- One of a Kind
- Rebuilding Edgeville
- Recipe for Disaster
- Recipe for Disaster: Defeating the Culinaromancer
- Recipe for Disaster: Freeing Sir Amik Varze
- Ritual of the Mahjarrat
- River of Blood
- Royal Trouble
- Sins of the Father
- Sliske's Endgame
- Tales of Nomad
- The Branches of Darkmeyer
- The Light Within
- The Lord of Vampyrium
- The Lost Toys
- The Mighty Fall
- Full completion of The World Wakes
- While Guthix Sleeps
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Credits[edit | edit source]
|Developer||Paul Gower, Mod James (conversion to RuneScape 2), Mod Stu (2017 single player version & improvements)|
|Quest Help||Rob M|
|Databox • Talk page|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- ninja 9 April 2018 (Update):
- The Rock of Dalgroth and the Rock slide in Heroes quest have had the prospect and mine ops switched around so that mine is now left click.
- ninja 6 November 2017 (Update):
- XP lamps awarded for completing Heroes' Quest are no longer non-member objects.
- ninja 27 March 2017 (Update):
- Heroes' Quest has undergone a suite of quality-of-life improvements. Most notably, while the partner gameplay has been retained, you can now complete the quest on your own. Bring a lockpick.
- After completing Heroes' Quest, the oily fishing rod can now be reclaimed from Gerrant.
- After completing Heroes' Quest, ice gloves can now be reclaimed from the high priest of Entrana.
- Camorra and the origins of the Ice Queen are now mentioned in Heroes' Quest.
- After being freed from his cell in Taverley Dungeon, Velrak the explorer now resides at the entrance to the dungeon.
- patch 13 February 2017 (Update):
- Heroes' Quest has received a variety of quality-of-life improvements.
- patch 10 February 2009 (Update):
- The Heroes'Quest journal is a little more helpful regarding requirements.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Upon the completion of this quest, one's Adventurer's Log will read: "I should be proud, as few are eligible to enter the notoriously exclusive Heroes' Guild. Nothing can stop me now."
- After completing the quest, if one talks to Juna, the player character will say, "...So after I had retrieved all the items, I became a member of the Heroes' Guild!"
|XP lamp rewards|