This article is about the herald cape available from the heralds in Lumbridge, Falador, and Varrock. For other uses, see Heraldry
Herald capes show allegiance to Falador, Lumbridge or Varrock and are obtained from the location's respective herald. The design of the capes is customisable and customisation options increase as a player completes tasks or quests related to the area the cape represents. By default the capes are all identical except the sigil in the middle, which is an animal associated with the location being represented. Selecting a location for the herald cape is reversible, as capes can be switched freely at heralds. All design customisation are lost upon switching to a different herald cape.
Players can also add their chosen 'crest' to the top of their cape. In addition, the cape can be placed on a cape rack in a player-owned house.
An additional turkey crest for the cape was rewarded for the completion of 2011, 2014, 2015, and 2016 Thanksgiving events. This crest also enhances the Give Thanks emote when the cape is worn.
Heralds' locations and design requirements[edit | edit source]
The herald of Lumbridge can be found between the Lumbridge general store and blacksmith. The Lumbridge cape requires the following tasks to be completed to unlock all design options:
The herald of Varrock can be found next to the fountain north of Varrock's archery shop. The Varrock cape requires the following tasks to be completed to unlock all design options:
The herald of Falador can be found near the fountain north of the Artisans' Workshop (and south of the Party Room). The Falador cape requires the following tasks to be completed to unlock all design options:
The design of the herald cape can be customised by speaking with the relevant herald or by using the right-click "Customise" option.
When all the above requirements are met, players can choose from 5 different trims and 5 different crests (applied to the bottom and top halves of the cape, respectively). The colours for the cape's background, the background of the heraldic sigil, and the trim/crest can also be customised. There is no pre-defined set of colours, instead a colour selection tool allows players to select the colours freely. If players change the cape's background colour to the default white, parts of the background will turn to the heraldic colour.
The selected design can be modified any time by revisiting the herald. The heralds seem to remember the last design players made at them, even after players have switched to another city cape and then returned.
A player wearing a Varrock herald cape
A player wearing a Falador herald cape
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 30 September 2019 (Update):
- A specific proc used for the Clan Cloak, Clan Vex and Herald Cape has now been moved into the core wear prevention check
- patch 23 April 2018 (Update):
- The Make-X interface, Herald Cape, Clan Settings and Clan Keywords have been visually updated
- patch 11 January 2016 (Update):
- Players without membership can now reclaim their herald cape from any city herald if it is stored in their costume room in a player-owned house.
- If King Roald, Sir Amik Varze or Duke Horacio are spoken to while wearing a herald cape of a different city, they will snap and say "Consider wearing a less shabby Herald Cape next time." If spoken to while wearing a herald cape of their city, they'll compliment the player.
- The herald cape received a hidden update in 2012, where the cape's shape became curved for all male characters. For female characters, the shape stayed the same (this happened with other capes, e.g. the clan cloak). However, a bug occurred where the herald cape for male characters could not have its background colour changed from blue. This was said to have been fixed in September 2013.
- In the news post from 26 July 2011, Jagex stated that herald capes were created because they had decided that the clan cloaks of players who were in a clan of 4 players or less would revert to the default design. The herald capes were meant to provide a new customisable cape to all players, including those whose clan capes were affected by the change.