Helwyr Cywir is the general of Seren's army in the Heart of Gielinor. Helwyr is a skilled hunter and sorcerer of the Cywir Clan, which hails from Tarddiad. While on Tarddiad, Helwyr slew a great monster, known as the Hunllef, a predator of great threat to the Tarddian elves. Upon the beast's death, he used elven magic to draw upon the energy of the creature, bending it to his own will, allowing him to take on the very form of the beast for himself. Helwyr was also one of few Cywir elves who left Tarddiad, driven by the desire to help the elves back on their home planet. At some point early in the Fourth Age, some of his elves travelled far away from Isafdar to test the limits of their link with their goddess.
Unfortunately, they were captured and cruelly experimented on by a man named Gregorovic, who desperately sought a cure for his fatal illness and hoped to find it in the physiology of the long-lived elves. Helwyr was furious when he learned of the news from the only survivor, and desired revenge. Between the Fourth and Sixth Ages, Helwyr and his elves travelled around Gielinor in search of Gregorovic.
Centuries later, when The Heart – a powerful source of anima – was discovered, Helwyr travelled there under Seren's banner to secure it and to use its power to cure the Crystal Shapeshifters' affliction. He arrived only to stand face to face with Gregorovic, now undead and fighting for the cause of Sliske, and the three other generals: the Twin Furies, Avaryss the Unceasing and Nymora the Vengeful of Zamorak, and Vindicta of Zaros, daughter of Morvannon and last of the Ilujanka on Gielinor.
Although his grudge was held only against Gregorovic, Helwyr condemned the Twin Furies and Vindicta and Gorvek as "creatures of darkness", vowing to hunt them down in order to protect his people. After hostilities erupted between the four factions, Helwyr called upon the elves of Seren to claim the Heart in her name and save his clan.
Level 80 Magic is required to face him but this can be boosted.
Obtaining all unique drops will unlock the Shapeshifter [Name] title.
At 0% reputation each kill is worth 77,843.1 coins in uniques alone, if the player has 100% reputation this number increases to 155,686.2 coins.
||High alch value
|Luminite stone spirit||15–25||Common||11,940-19,900||Not alchemisable|
|Phasmatite stone spirit (m)||15–25||Uncommon||8,850-14,750||Not alchemisable|
|Necrite stone spirit (m)||15–25||Uncommon||8,175-13,625||Not alchemisable|
|Uncut diamond||18–22 (noted)||Common||51,894-63,426||2,160-2,640|
|Uncut dragonstone (m)||8–12 (noted)||Uncommon||110,904-166,356||4,800-7,200|
|Grimy dwarf weed (m)||14–25 (noted)||Common||61,726-110,225||0|
|Magic logs||150–250 (noted)||Uncommon||60,600-101,000||28,800-48,000|
|Raw shark (m)||45–55 (noted)||Common||42,615-52,085||8,100-9,900|
|Dormant Anima Core helm (m)||1||Varies||118,314||120,000|
|Dormant Anima Core body (m)||1||Varies||118,851||120,000|
|Dormant Anima Core legs (m)||1||Varies||119,238||120,000|
|Wand of the Cywir elders (m)||1||Varies||11,160,497||78,000|
|Orb of the Cywir elders (m)||1||Varies||8,078,371||39,000|
|Crest of Seren (m)||1||Varies||19,782,210||60,000|
|Serenic essence (m)||1||Varies||208,647||60,000|
|Large bladed rune salvage||9–16 (noted)||Uncommon||279,495-496,880||288,000-512,000|
|Crystal key (m)||2–4 (noted)||Uncommon||53,734-107,468||0|
|Grimy lantadyme (m)||80–100 (noted)||Uncommon||431,120-538,900||0|
- ^ Lilwyr, RuneScape. "Helwyr proved himself the strongest of the Cywir clan by entering its lair and slaying the great beast. He then used ancient elven magic to harness the creature's energy, bending it to his own will in order to take on its form himself."
- ^ a b c d e f Drop rate: 1/512 at 0% drop enhance.
- ^ a b c d e f g The drop rate of this item can be increased with faction reputation. At 100% drop increase, the drop rate of this item is doubled. The drop rate of this item is increased in challenge mode. The drop rate of this item has its denominator multiplied by 0.99 when wearing a Luck of the Dwarves ring.
- ^ a b c d e f g Mod Timbo. "Revealing Drop Rates." 13 October 2017. Developers' Blogs.
- ^ Drop rate: 1/128 at 0% drop enhance.
- ^ 1–2 in normal mode; 3 in challenge mode
- ^ Has a base drop rate of 1/2,000 (normal mode) or 1/1,000 chance (challenge mode), with a threshold of 400. This is not affected by the increased drop chance reward from reputation.
Helwyr with antlers and a santa hat during Christmas.
The update history project
is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here
for how to help out!
- ninja 10 June 2019 (Update):.
- The frequency of Necrite and Phasmatite stone spirit drops has been reduced across all God Wars Dungeon 2 bosses.
- patch 20 May 2019 (Update):.
- Both God Wars Dungeon 2 and Elite Dungeon bosses now award more Reaper points and Slayer XP when killed in challenge/hard mode.
- patch 28 January 2019 (Update):
- Instead of Runite Stone Spirits, will now drop either Necrite Stone Spirits or Phasmatite Stone Spirits.
- Instead of Coal Stone Spirits, will now drop Luminite Stone Spirits.
- patch 14 January 2019 (Update):
- If a player was killed by the mushrooms in a Helwyr fight, this would not be recognised as a death at Helwyr. This has now been resolved, along with a similar issue affecting the Twin Furies.
- patch 8 January 2018 (Update):
- Helwyr can now have his boss kill count prestiged.
- Upon release, there was a bug where Helwyr would drop loot in an unreachable tile, which was usually lost if the player could not use area loot or Telekinetic Grab. This only occurred if he was on the edges of the arena. This has since been fixed with the update on 23 October 2017.
- Helwyr's Hunllef form is intended to be a fusion of a stag, a wolf, and a bear.
- Helwyr is Welsh for hunters.
- Helwyr's codename during development was "bear" and "manbearpig" which is a reference to the show South Park.
- After killing Helwyr, the Adventurer's Log will say: "I killed the shapeshifting elven hunter, Helwyr." Killing more than one Helwyr results in the Adventurer's Log saying: "I killed # Helwyrs, limb tearing hunters."
- For a while after release, after 2-3 kills in an instance (without re-entering), Helwyr would not summon anymore Cywir Alphas while the instance was still running. This was fixed and Helwyr will stop summoning them when there are four of them in the instance.
- His elf form resembles Lord Amlodd.
- As of 1 February 2018, the highest kill count for this boss was 60,000 kills for normal mode and 1,617 for hard mode. At this time, this was the record for the most-killed boss in the Heart of Gielinor, equal with Vindicta.
- This had not increased for normal mode and increased to 2,259 for hard mode by 13 December 2018. He was no longer tied with Vindicta for the most-killed boss of the Heart of Gielinor.