|Release date||8 February 2021 (Update)|
|Main developer(s)||Mod Rain, Mod Zura|
|Quality assurance||Mod Camel|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Official description[edit | edit source]
|“||Er, nobody tell Annette, but it looks like Caelyn's gone and forgotten to get her an anniversary gift! Luckily, our favourite thief has a plan - she needs you to help her infiltrate a fancy gala at the Varrock Museum and, ahem, 'appropriate' a massive heart-shaped ruby from right under everyone's noses. What could go wrong?||”|
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Caelyn on the 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US] of the house north of Edgeville bank.|
|Member requirement||Free to play|
|Official length||Short to Medium|
|Requirements||Skill requirements are not boostable unless marked with a [B] for boostable.
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.
|Enemies to defeat||
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Preparations[edit | edit source]
Talk to Caelyn Kadaan or Annette Kadaan. Annette will tell you that Caelyn isn't having fun thieving anymore due to only committing petty theft acts, suggesting that a more complex heist will lift her spirits. Annette will then teleport away to sell a gold lawn gnome previously stolen from Duke Horacio.
After Annette leaves, Caelyn will tell you about an upcoming gala hosted by the Varrock Museum to celebrate the donation of a heart-shaped ruby. She requests your help to steal the ruby. After accepting, she will have three tasks to complete in preparation for the heist. These tasks can be completed in any order.
Obtaining a disguise[edit | edit source]
Caelyn will hand you some coins (not visible in your money pouch or inventory) to purchase a disguise from Thessalia's Fine Clothes in Varrock. Head to the clothing store and talk to Thessalia to buy some masquerade masks to use as disguises, then head back to Caelyn to complete the task.
Mapping the gala[edit | edit source]
Caelyn will instruct you to steal the gala plans from Curator Haig Halen and make a copy of the plans. She will give you some "specialist tools" (paper and crayons) to help copy the plans. Head to Varrock Museum and pickpocket the curator to receive some crudely drawn gala plans. The curator will catch you in the act; you can either lie or rat Caelyn out. Go back to Caelyn to give her the plans and complete the task.
Making smoke bombs[edit | edit source]
In a short cutscene, Caelyn will teach you how to finish making her smoke bombs. To make the bombs, Caelyn will shout out a series of 10 instructions, one at a time. Each instruction requires you to interact with one of four objects, including a workbench, parts box, fish barrel, and gunpowder barrel. If you take too long to complete an instruction, the bomb will explode and you'll have to start over. If you fail to make a bomb, you can ask Caelyn to make the process easier by increasing the time limit and pointing at the correct object to interact with.
After following 10 instructions, the bombs will be finished, completing the task.
|Caelyn's instruction||Object to interact with|
|Those bombs aren't explosive enough. Stuff some extra powder in!||Barrel of powder|
|The mechanisms need adjusting. Throw in some extra parts!||Crate of parts|
|Something isn't right... Give them a bash!||Workbench|
|They aren't smelly enough yet. Add some fishy odour!||Barrel of fish|
The Heist[edit | edit source]
Caelyn will tell you that the preparations are complete, and then teleport to the outside of Varrock Museum. Talk to Caelyn at the museum, and she will give you the Scarlet Thief's mask. Equip the mask and talk to her again, then say you're ready to enter.
Try to walk downstairs. You will be stopped by the museum guards and told the downstairs is off-limits.
Walk upstairs and talk to the drunken dwarf, and he will ask for 4 drink tokens:
- Talk to the bartender to get a drink token.
- Pickpocket any of the attendees to steal a drink token. (Note: You can't pickpocket any attendees until you receive the drink token from the bartender.)
- Talk to the Masked Woman to the west of the drunken dwarf, the one who came up to you when you first entered, and accept the dance-off for a drink token.
- Mr. Mordaut. He will request a cheese platter in exchange for a drink token. Walk downstairs and look behind the bartender's counter for a crate. Search the crate to find the cheese platter, then go back upstairs and talk to Mr. Mordaut to trade the cheese platter for a drink token.
Talk to the drunken dwarf and tell him to start drawing attention. The drunken dwarf will cause a commotion and attract all attendees upstairs, allowing you to enter the museum basement.
Another cutscene will appear, showing that you need to disable three power points while avoiding the guards. There is one lever each in the north, east, and west rooms. To find each power point, follow the wires on the ground leading to a lever that you can pull to progress. Getting caught doesn't reset any levers you've already pulled, so try as many times as needed. The guards' sight range is a frontal cone that can be blocked by obstacles, and you can also hide in crates along the way to avoid being seen.
After pulling all three levers, walk up to the glass and try to open it. Caelyn will cut a hole in the glass. Take the ruby, and a cutscene will play where Caelyn discovers that the ruby is a fake. The masked woman will find you and reveal herself as Annette, who confesses that she created and donated the fake ruby as a lure to get Caelyn to attempt a high-stakes heist and regain her passion for thieving. The curator and some museum guards will then find you, prompting Caelyn, Annette, and you to teleport away.
You will appear back in the Edgeville storehouse where the quest began. Annette will reveal that she received a large number of Chronotes from the museum in exchange for the fake ruby, and the two thieves will begin plotting to purchase and resell the Archaeology Guild's stock of tea. They will thank you for your assistance in the museum heist.
Congratulations, quest complete!
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 1 quest point
- Heartstealer title
- Scarlet Thief's mask cosmetic override
- Scarlet Thief's outfit cosmetic override
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys and 2 Hearts of Ice
- Additional rewards/activities
- Thieving XP lamp which grants 2,500 experience obtained from Caelyn if also level 20 Thieving after the quest which completes the Redistribution of knowledge achievement. (Members Only)
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Heartstealer ( 0) – Complete this Novice quest.
- Redistribution of knowledge ( 5) – Claim Thieving XP from Caelyn Kadaan after 'Heartstealer'.
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- update 8 February 2021 (Update):
- Added to game.
- Er, nobody tell Annette, but it looks like Caelyn's gone and forgotten to get her an anniversary gift! Luckily, our favourite thief has a plan - she needs you to help her infiltrate a fancy gala at the Varrock Museum and, ahem, 'appropriate' a massive heart-shaped ruby from right under everyone's noses. What could go wrong?
- And like all lovely things, Heartstealer isn't just for Valentine's Day - this quest will be available to play forever, all throughout the year.
- Rewards include the 'Heartstealer' title and a set of stylish new duds that are perfect for your phantom thief shenanigans.
- If you have at least level 20 Thieving you'll also be able to claim a Thieving XP lamp from Caelyn after the quest.
- Added to game.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Caelyn's outfit seems to be inspired by Carmen Sandiego.
- The Scarlet Thief could be a reference to The Scarlet Pimpernel (a.k.a. Sir Percival Blakeney), the main character in the book series created by Baroness Orczy. He was a nobleman who "stole" hundreds of aristocrats from the guillotine during the French Revolution, saving their lives.
- Zenevivia mentions the heist at the Wizards' Tower. This is a reference to Love Story.
- On several occassions the dialogue changes depending on whether the player completed or interacted with certain past content: levelling Thieving above 1, 2020 Easter event, Once Upon a Slime quest and becoming the Guildmaster for the Archaeology Guild.
- When the curator tells Caelyn she is an incompetent thief, Caelyn says "But you have heard of me". This is a reference to Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean when confronted by Norrington.
- When caught by a guard, they will exclaim "Stop right there, criminal scum!" - a reference to the Imperial Guard in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.
- After the quest the fake ruby heart can be found on a shelf in Kadaans' room.
- The dialogue referencing Mr Mordaut getting bloated with cheese was added as a replacement for accusation of assaulting guards with smoke bombs which was supposed to happen during the quest before hiding in the crates was introduced instead.
- One of the lines when speaking to the attendees, "This amazing donation will make a great addition to the museum.", might be a reference to a similar quote from General Grievous during Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith when he takes Anakin's and Obi-Wan's lightsabers, saying they will make a fine addition to his collection.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Jagex. Mod Camel's Twitter account. 8 February 2021. (Archived from the original on 8 February 2021.) Mod Camel: "@JagexZura wrote the quest and assisted with development. The lead Dev was Mod Rain."
- ^ Jagex. Mod Camel's Twitter account. 8 February 2021. (Archived from the original on 8 February 2021.) Mod Camel: "I was the QA on the project. The lead dev was Mod Rain and the quest was writen by @JagexZura"
- ^ a b Valentines Quest Let's Play!.
|Removed or significantly changed|
|Italics denote that the quest was demoted to a miniquest.|