|Haunted Mine (#66)|
|Release date||21 December 2004 (Update)|
|Main developer(s)||Ian G|
|Quality assurance||Unknown edit|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Haunted Mine is a quest where the player ventures into the depths of a maze-like mine located south of Mort Myre swamp.
- 1 Official description
- 2 Overview
- 3 The Mort Ridge mines
- 4 Imminent danger
- 5 Level 1
- 6 Level 2
- 7 Level 3
- 8 Level 4
- 9 Transporting the fungus
- 10 Collecting the fungus
- 11 Deeper into the mines
- 12 Treus Dayth
- 13 The Salve crystals
- 14 Rewards
- 15 Achievements
- 16 Required for completing
- 17 Transcript
- 18 Update history
- 19 Trivia
Official description[edit | edit source]
Recent forays into Morytania by some of Saradomin's more fanatical supporters have unearthed murky rumours concerning an abandoned mine in the south.
Legend speaks of an unusual material, hidden in the depths of the mines, that is somehow linked to the desolation and fear that now surrounds the place. Do you have the nerve to find out more, and enter the haunted mines of Morytania?
Overview[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Zealot oustide the mines in Morytania|
|Member requirement||Members only|
|Requirements||Skill requirements are not boostable unless marked with a [B] for boostable.
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.
|Enemies to defeat||
The Mort Ridge mines[edit | edit source]
Walk up to the Saradominist zealot outside the Abandoned Mine, located on the south-western edge of Morytania and just west of Burgh de Rott, and tell him that you're a follower of Saradomin or Guthix or no particular allegiance. He tells you about a quest that has been entrusted to him by Saradomin himself to reopen the abandoned Mort Ridge mines and recover the valuable resources that have been lost to the world.
The zealot believes that Saradomin himself blessed the River Salve, whose waters connected and percolated through the rocks to reach the deeper levels of the mines. When strange crystals began to form in the mines, its inhabitants used them to create a legendary artefact that protected them from Morytania's evil beings – the Salve amulet.
The Ridge mines were previously guarded by Zamorak's mage, Treus Dayth, who eventually failed and was defeated after a Saradominist incursion. Enraged, Lord Drakan, another Zamorakian, killed the raiders and sealed the mine, before condemning Dayth's soul to be bound to it for eternity and to protect it from any Saradominists who tried to access the crystals thereafter.
Imminent danger[edit | edit source]
The zealot also mentions that he has a key that grants him access into the mines, but he cannot trust anyone else with it. Simply pickpocket him to obtain the key.
Walk a bit south to the cart track and climb over the first cart, walking past the second to reach the mine's entrance. Use the zealot's key to unlock the doors and enter the mine.
If you die or exit the cave at any point, you must obtain another key from the zealot.
Level 1[edit | edit source]
You'll arrive at the entrance to the first level (1), which has two ladders that lead deeper into the mines. The first ladder (2) is of no interest, but the path to the second ladder (4) is blocked by obstructions.
Go west past the first ladder and exit the cave out of the mine. On the surface, follow the road (3) marked by a visible track and re-enter the mine. Once inside, head east and go down ladder 4.
Level 2[edit | edit source]
You'll find yourself at the south-western ladder (4). Simply walk east and head down the nearby ladder (6).
Level 3[edit | edit source]
From the eastern-most ladder (6), head west and south along the tracks, while being wary of the haunted cart (G). If the cart hits you, you'll be damaged and pushed back to the beginning of the cart's path.
Fortunately, you can use the alcoves beside the tracks as safe spots to avoid the cart. Once across, head down the ladder (12) to level 4.
Level 4[edit | edit source]
Level 4 of the mine has several key elements, which are marked on the map as:
- (J) – the glowing fungi
- (L) – the point-set (track map) panel
- (K) – the cart
- (M) – the levers A, B, C, D, and E
- (N) – the levers F, G, H, I, J, and K
- (P) – the water valve
- (13) – the water-powered lift
To access the deepest and darkest levels of the mine, you need to use the glowing fungus found on this level as a light source. Unfortunately, the path to reach the lowest level involves going back up to the surface, and daylight exposure causes the fungi to crumble to ashes instantly.
Your only option is to use a complicated system of operational carts to transport the fungi to the other side of the blockades found on level 3.
Transporting the fungus[edit | edit source]
Pick up a few glowing fungus (J) and place one in the cart (K).
You must now make use of the track map (L) to operate the cart system and move the fungus to the desired spot, marked by ladders on the top-right of the map. The path taken by the cart is determined by the position of levers, marked on the track map by letters A through K. You can achieve the final configuration by starting from the ladder, or referring to the images in the gallery.
There are 3 sets of answers for pulling the right levers – you can either pull the levers (A, B, D, E, I, and J), (A, B, D, C, and I), or (B, E, D, I, and J). Once you have loaded the fungus and set the right path, press 'Start' on the track map.
If you've done this correctly, a dialogue box will appear where you wonder whether the cart ended up anywhere useful. If you end up sinking your cart, you must place another glowing fungus in it.
Collecting the fungus[edit | edit source]
To reach the fungus, you need to go back up to level 1 by using the ladders 12, 6, and 4 on levels 4, 3, and 2 respectively. Alternatively, using Drakan's medallion to teleport back to Burgh de Rott, then hopping over the fence and entering the mine the way you did initially puts you just east of ladder 2 on level 1.
- On level 1, follow path (3) to reach the northern ladder (2). Use it to go down to the other side of level 2.
- On level 2, head north-east and go down the ladder (7) to reach level 3.
- On level 3, go to the north-west corner and take the ladder (10) down to level 4.
- On level 4, collect the glowing fungus that you transported from the nearby cart (K).
If the cart is empty, you made a mistake at the track map. You must go back to the cart system, load a new fungus, and repeat the entire process.
It's very important that you do not drop the fungus, as this will turn it into ashes and you will have to repeat the entire process all over again.
Deeper into the mines[edit | edit source]
With the fungus in your inventory, go back up the ladder (10) to level 3. Instead of going east to ladder 7, go past it and another haunted cart (G) to reach ladder (9), which leads down to level 4. Make sure that you are not facing east when you climb down the ladder, or else you will not be able to continue.
To go deeper into the mine, you must now make use of the water-powered lift (13) and energize it by activating the water valve (P). Use the zealot's key on the valve to start the water-flow and quickly run back around the pipe system to go down the lift to level 5. Taking too long will cause a sneaky ghost to close the valve again.
Treus Dayth[edit | edit source]
After you've gone down the lift, you will find yourself in a vast water-filled chamber that extinguishes all light sources except the glowing fungus. Walk down the eastern corridor and use the stairs (14) to descend to the 6th level. Once down these stairs, head west and through the door to reach a room full of cranes and carts.
He appears at different locations in the room, and each hit to his visible form will cause him to flee to the next location. You can view his movements through a flashing yellow arrow on your screen. During his flight, he'll conjure pickaxes and throw them at you. Protect from Missiles may help reduce the incoming damage from his projectile attacks.
Dying to Treus Dayth will turn the glowing fungus into ashes, requiring you to repeat the whole process.
The Salve crystals[edit | edit source]
Simply click on any one of them to cut a piece and obtain a Salve shard.
Congratulations, quest complete!
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 2 quest points
- 22,000 experience lamp
- Crystal-mine key (which can be added to the steel key ring)
- The ability to make salve amulets, which gives combat bonuses against undead creatures
- Access to the Lair of Tarn Razorlor, where players can create an enhanced version of the salve amulet
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys and 2 Hearts of Ice
- Music unlocked
Achievements[edit | edit source]
- Haunted Mine ( 0) – Complete this Intermediate quest.
- Morytania achievements
- Desert achievements
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
Haunted Mine is directly required for the following quests/miniquests:
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- ninja 6 November 2017 (Update):
- This quest now awards an XP lamp instead of direct XP on completion.
- patch 26 January 2015 (Update):
- The quest start screens of Ghosts Ahoy, In Search of the Myreque, Haunted Mine and One Small Favour have been updated to reflect combat level calculation changes.
- patch 6 September 2011 (Update):
- The prospect option on rocks in the Haunted Mine have been removed.
- patch 3 December 2009 (Update):
- A message now warns you that the seers' headband light source will not work in the haunted mine.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Upon completing this quest, your Adventurer's Log will read "Deep beneath Morytania, I dodged pickaxes, puzzled with mine carts and collected fungi. Not only that, but I defeated Treus and collected a salve shard!"
- If you have the zealot's key in your possession, you can give it back to him by saying you did it and then saying "correction, the key that was in your possession".
- A Seer's headband cannot be used in lieu of a glowing mushroom, despite the headband not requiring fire and thus not being water-susceptible in the pool. Bringing a Seer's headband gives the message "Your light source doesn't feel as strong as usual in this sinister gloom. It's probably not going to be much help down here."
|Related to the Myreque quest series|
|Lores and Histories|