"Axe" redirects here. For the melee weapon class, see Battleaxe
The hatchet is the tool used in Woodcutting to chop trees and also serves as a melee weapon. It is available in all metal types except white, but has less favourable power and speed compared to similar weapons. They can be used to slash webs. Except for the black, dragon, crystal, sacred clay hatchets, and the inferno adze, all hatchets can be created using the Smithing skill. Hatchets are rarely used as weapons, as they have half the same damage compared to weapons of the same tier and speed.
The hatchet can be added to the tool belt. However, the blessed, sacred clay, inferno adze, and augmented hatchets cannot be added. This saves space while woodcutting. Doc can remove dragon and crystal hatchets from the tool belt one time only; all other hatchets cannot be removed once added.
The level required to wield a hatchet is different than the level required to use a hatchet to chop trees. Wielding is governed by Attack level while chopping trees is governed by Woodcutting level. For example, a player with level 1 Attack and level 61 Woodcutting can use a dragon hatchet to chop trees, but not wield it as their Attack level is not high enough.
- ^ Cannot be used to cut trees.
- ^ Also requires level 92 Firemaking to use.
These hatchets can only be obtained and used within Daemonheim.
The dragon and crystal hatchets can be augmented using an Augmentor at level 22 Invention. These can be augmented using tool gizmos and will consume charges from the charge pack, which uses divine charges.
The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- patch 9 December 2019 (Update):
- Chick-axe now appears on the axes filter in wardrobe.
- patch 8 May 2018 (Update):
- Augmented hatchets will now correctly work when chopping Maple trees in Miscellenia
- patch 9 May 2016 (Update):
- Equipped lent woodcutting hatchets no longer appear sheathed as well as in use when woodcutting.
- patch 11 June 2013 (Update):
- Pickaxes and hatchets are now resheathed after use.
- patch 19 May 2009 (Update):
- Woodcutting and Mining now try to use the axe/pickaxe you're currently wielding. If you don't have one in your hands, it'll try to select the best one in your inventory.
- patch 1 April 2009 (Update):
- Woodcutting axes are now called hatchets to avoid confusion with other objects in the game.
- When the woodcutting animation was changed, only the sacred clay hatchet retained the old woodcutting animation.
- Axes were renamed as 'Hatchets' on 1 April 2009 to avoid confusion, but this temporarily caused some scams as people said that a hatchet was a rare item.
- Before the introduction of hatchets, the Broken axe random event was removed and all remaining broken pieces were removed from the game.
- When smithing hatchets, only a bar of the relevant metal is required. Where the wood for the handle comes from is unknown.
- After the Evolution of Combat update, if players were woodcutting with a sheathed hatchet, it would appear in their hand but also remain sheathed on their back at the same time, giving the appearance of having two hatchets equipped. This also happened when mining with a sheathed pickaxe. This was fixed on 13 May 2013, causing them to be unsheathed when they are being used for woodcutting, and another update on 17 June caused them to be sheathed again after use.