Hans is the servant of Duke Horacio and can be found walking in circles around the Lumbridge Castle courtyard. He is the oldest non-player character in RuneScape, and RuneScape veterans can claim Capes of Distinction from him, which indicate the age of their account. Despite being a veteran, he is easily scared, screaming and running away in fright when threatened.
When spoken to, Hans will tell the player he's been patrolling Lumbridge Castle for years, to which the player will respond saying he must be old. Hans then goes on to say he is a veteran of RuneScape and at this point will offer the player the option to buy the Veteran cape if they have the requirements. If they do not have the requirements, he will tell players how much longer they have until they may buy the cape.
Hans also plays a role in a couple of Treasure Trail clue scrolls, one being an anagram (Snah = Hans), and the other a cryptic (which also has "Snah" in it).
Hans can also be spoken to by selecting "random contact" on the NPC Contact spell. If Hans is contacted, your character will claim you are a knight coming to kill everyone in Lumbridge Castle. Hans panics in response.
The capes are sold together with a hood.
|| Sell price
|| Buy price
|| GE price
|| Resale value
|Veteran cape (5 year)||∞||50,000||Not bought||30,000||∞ (-20,000)|
|Veteran hood (5 year)||∞||50,000||Not bought||N/A||N/A|
|Veteran cape (10 year)||∞||100,000||Not bought||60,000||∞ (-40,000)|
|Veteran hood (10 year)||∞||100,000||Not bought||N/A||N/A|
|Veteran cape (15 year)||∞||150,000||Not bought||90,000||∞ (-60,000)|
|Veteran hood (15 year)||∞||150,000||Not bought||N/A||N/A|The update history project is a work-in-progress – not all updates to this topic may be covered below. See here for how to help out!
- ninja 23 October 2017 (Update):
- Hans now has a right-click buy option for Veteran capes on free worlds.
- ninja 13 March 2017 (Update):
- Players can now check when their account was created and the amount of time spent playing at Hans in Lumbridge.
- patch 9 February 2015 (Update):
- A typo in Hans's chat when asking about veteran capes has been fixed.
- ninja 15 December 2014 (Update):
- Hans has regained the ability to walk.
- patch 14 August 2012 (Update):
- Hans will now talk to free players about how long they have to go until they can claim a Veteran cape (the cape can only be claimed should they become a member).
- patch 23 August 2011 (Update):
- Speaking to Hans about retrieving a Veteran cape tomorrow has had a typo fixed.
- patch 5 July 2011 (Update):
- A typo has been fixed upon speaking to Hans about Veteran capes.
- In the second issue of Postbag from the Hedge, a letter was written to Hans that semi-mocked him, asking why he ran away from the author. Hans responded by screaming and running away.
- Hans is referenced in Lunar Diplomacy when receiving the seal of passage.
- In Runescape Classic, Hans was an attackable level 3 NPC.
- In Runescape Classic, Hans was the first character ever created by Paul Gower, as a test of the character creation process.
- The fact that you tell him you're a knight coming to kill everyone in the castle may be a reference to the scene in Monty Python and The Holy Grail where Sir Lancelot runs into a castle, stabbing a multitude of people and killing them.