|Release date||10 March 2014 (Update)|
|Location(s)||Robert the Strong's library|
|Examine||An ancient Dragon Rider.|
|NPC ID||8964, 9060, 19096, 19097, 19161, 25989, 26049|
|Infobox • Talk page|
Hannibus Eterra (pronounced / Han-ee-Boo-ss) is the last of the Ilujanka that Zaros brought to Gielinor from his homeworld of Iaia. He is also the father of Vindicta and at least one other child, as he is also the ancestor of Sharrigan.
History[edit | edit source]
Life on Iaia[edit | edit source]
Hannibus was born on the world Iaia alongside six siblings. A clutch of seven was rare and considered a good omen by his people, the Ilujanka, destining him to ride the gurh lizards. Once he was grown, he became a farmer and shepherd, riding the gurhs to plough his fields. The Ilujanka led a peaceful life and knew neither war nor enemies. Hannibus largely enjoyed the simple life but was troubled by the infertility crisis that was hurting his people. Fewer and fewer children were born each generation, and when he was an adult it'd been decades since a child was born in his tribe at all.
One night, the god Zaros appeared on Iaia, watching the Ilujanka from afar. He watched the Ilujanka for a long time without interacting with them, until eventually he approached them and made his offer: he would solve their infertility in exchange for their service in his empire on Gielinor. Zaros gave them one night to decide. In a subsequent meeting of their tribe's riders, all but one voted for accepting Zaros' offer - Hannibus. He made no choice, either to stay or to leave. But with the vote favouring Zaros' offer, he and dozens of other Ilujanka went with him through a portal to Gielinor.
Dragon rider[edit | edit source]
Hannibus came to Gielinor sometime during the Second Age. During this time, he rode the dragon Shakorexis, also known as the King Black Dragon. He was feared and respected by his allies and enemies, having taken down entire armies and beasts of old. The pair shared a close bond, with Shakorexis stating that they were brothers-in-arms.
Sometime during his service as a Dragon Rider, he had a romantic relationship with Morvannon, resulting in an egg, though neither of them were apparently aware of this. Upon Zamorak's ascension and subsequent disappearance after "killing" Zaros, both sides labelled the Dragon Riders as traitors and hunted them down. Morvannon was eventually killed by hellhounds led by the Twin Furies, though neither Hannibus and the Furies were aware of the egg. The egg would later be tended by Morvannon's mount Gorvek and would be named Vindicta. Hannibus had avoided his pursuers and resided in the cave that Zaros brought them through with his mount. Hannibus desired to return to Iaia by any means, but was unable to do so.
After the conflict ended, Enakhra started to hunt him down so she could deliver him as a present to Zamorak. Not wanting to endanger Shakorexis, Hannibus left him and searched for another hiding spot. Although he was eventually captured and turned to stone, Enakhra was unable to bring him to Zamorak. Eventually Hannibus was found by Robert the Strong and was brought to his library in Burthorpe for further study. Robert searched for a way to reanimate Hannibus but was unable to before he died.
Rediscovery[edit | edit source]
In the Sixth Age, Mr. Mordaut, seeking more information about the origin of dragons, asked an adventurer to find Robert's library and talk to Hannibus. The adventurer reanimated Hannibus and convinced him that he should go back to his homeworld. Hannibus was interested with the Dragonkin and travelled around Gielinor to speak with several dragons, including the Queen Black Dragon and several mysterious statues. While they did not provide a clear answer, Hannibus eventually realised that his former mount would be able to help him.
With the aid of Hannibus' former mount, the King Black Dragon, they track down Therragorn, a white dragon who had the ability to travel between worlds. Therragorn was initially hostile to the adventurer, but was placated by Hannibus, who she felt that she could trust due to his reputation. Unfortunately, while attempting to fly back to Iaia, an unknown fireball shot Therragorn down, badly wounding Hannibus. When the adventurer woke up, Kerapac extorted them into helping him by stating that he would not save Hannibus if they did not comply. The adventurer complied and helped Kerapac, who upheld his end of the deal by healing Hannibus.
Kerapac told Hannibus that he may have the capability to fix the Ilujanka's fertility problem, but it may take many decades and that it was not guaranteed. Kerapac promised, however, that Hannibus would be kept in stasis.
While thinking this over, Therragorn returned, having flown to Iaia and brought back one of Hannibus's descendants, Sharrigan. Sharrigan tried to convince Hannibus to come back to Iaia where the Ilujanka have accepted their fate and he can die with his kind. Hannibus asked for the adventurer's help in choosing, with their choice deciding whether he went with Kerapac or Sharrigan.
Wandering about[edit | edit source]
If Hannibus stayed with Kerapac, he soon found himself in Varrock with a vial of dark red liquid which Kerapac claimed would help some of the Ilujankan young bear children. Should he have went with Sharrigan, Hannibus was delighted to have seen his people again, even if they were dwindling in numbers. Kerapac tracked Hannibus down and gave him a salve that would help the Ilujankan young, although he left before Hannibus could thank him, who decided to find him to learn more about the salve.
Regardless, the World Guardian soon came across Hannibus in Kerapac's laboratory, who was trying to piece together a map. The pair managed to repair the map, which Hannibus recognised as having a crude form of dragon language written on it. He translated it as leading to the adamant dragon dungeon. When the pair reached the dungeon, they found several dead adamant dragons and a sole adamant dragon, driven mad by pain and grief. They found a metallic object in a nearby mithril smelter. Hannibus calmed the adamant dragon, allowing her to speak through him about the losses of her children and grandchildren. After getting her to heat the object, they cooled it and broke it on a stone dragon head, which showed a map leading back to Kerapac's lab.
They returned to the lab and spoke with an effigy, who informed them about the dragonkin statues which had been placed in the lab recently. The World Guardian pressed various switches contained within these statues to unlock a magical portal to Kethsi, where Kerapac was giving a speech to various other dragonkin. When they left, the World Guardian talked to Kerapac who bade them to search the abandoned Dragonkin Laboratory so he could talk with Hannibus in peace.
Hannibus joined the war council formed to combat the threat posed by the Ambassador. His base was heavily fortified, including cannons which would destroy any land or sea based attack, so Hannibus proposed an aerial draconic attack. He travelled with the World Guardian to Shakorexis's lair and recruited his former mount to their cause. Shakorexis was unable to locate any other dragons, however, so they went to speak with Mr. Mordaut. Mr. Mordaut was ecstatic to meet Hannibus and asked for his signature, claiming dragons considered the ilujanka to be heroes for their calming effect. Mr. Mordaut was unable to locate any other lucid dragons but suggested Hannibus talk to the other dragonrider, which confused Hannibus as he believed himself to be the only dragonrider on Gielinor. Hannibus thanked Mr. Mordaut for his time, and promised to return for a lengthier conversation once the situation at hand was dealt with.
Hannibus and his friend then traveled to the Heart of Gielinor, where they found the other dragonrider, Vindicta. She claimed to be the only ilujanka on Gielinor and called her kin on Iaia cowards. Hannibus was shocked to hear such words from one of his own, before Vindicta stated that she was born and raised on Gielinor, naming Hannibus as her sire. Hannibus told her that he was her father though she disbelieved it, having had an exaggerated view of her father. Despite this, he was able to convince her, and both of them were happy to have found the other. Vindicta and Gorvek joined the strike force, lending their aid in destroying the Ambassador's defences alongside Hannibus and Shakorexis.
Flashback[edit | edit source]
Stopping Kerapac[edit | edit source]
Upon learning that Kerapac was going to wipe Gielinor out, Hannibus felt that he had to intervene and persuade him to stand down. He joined the World Guardian, Charos and Thok, but was the least combative of the four, instead trying to talk him down. He expressed horror when Kerapac used the dinosaurs to raze the base camp, believing that they did not need to be put into such action. He later helped the World Guardian escape Kerapac's collapsing laboratory, expressing remorse at Kerapac's fate to serve the Elder Gods once more.
Visit to Iaia[edit | edit source]
Sometime after stopping Kerapac, Hannibus took Vindicta to Iaia so she could see what her homeworld was like. Vindicta was not impressed, stating that it felt like an armoured tomb with its inhabitants resigning themselves to her fate. Hannibus tried to tell her what the Olun'dai meant, but Vindicta had her own interpretation of what it meant. She told some of the younger Ilujanka what Gielinor was like, persuading a few with her words. Hannibus did not object, seeing that she understood, wondering what it would be like to train a new generation of dragon riders.
Alternate dimension[edit | edit source]
A petrified Hannibus can be found in Zemouregal's treasure room.
Works[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Hannibus is freed using an Animate Rock scroll
Update history[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Dragon Rider gloves and Dragon Rider boots that the King Black Dragon drops belonged to him.
- In addition to Hannibus Hunted, he also wrote Last Riders in which he chronicles how he came to Gielinor and how he became the last Ilujanka left.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ a b Hannibus, "One of a Kind", RuneScape. "I was born from a clutch of seven and destined to be a ghur rider. . . . being born from such a large clutch is a great omen for our people. On my world I was a farmer, riding the ghurs in order to plough our fields. It was a simple life and I was happy, for the most part. But our people were producing fewer and fewer young in each clutch - our race was dwindling. Then the Empty Lord - Zaros - came to our world, and our lives were changed. He offered us something we could not refuse: the salvation of our people, just as long as some of us would go with him and join his empire"
- ^ Hannibus, "Desperate Measures", RuneScape. "You may not know this, but before I was a warrior, I was a shepherd. On my world we had the gurh."
- ^ Last Riders, written by Hannibus, RuneScape. "It was a simple, beautiful world, and we had no reason to war each other. There were no enemies, threats or lies, and we were at peace with all creatures . . . our bodies had become infertile. No child had been born for decades, and soon the youngest of our people would be past childbearing age."
- ^ Last Riders, written by Hannibus, RuneScape. "One night . . . a shadowy figure appeared on the outskirts of our settlement. When we approached him he would disappear; when we called to him he would not answer. After a time we grew accustomed to his watching. . . . Eventually, the shadowy man approached us."
- ^ Last Riders, written by Hannibus, RuneScape. "He only gave us a night to decide. We, the tribe's riders met on our gurhs, away from the stranger. We talked and called for a vote. Each was required to step their gurh forward if they wished to follow this man; those who wished to remain must step back. I was the only one to remain still as the others moved forward. . . . So, we followed the man through the portal to another world. . . . We had gone from dozens to a handful."
- ^ Hannibus, "Hannibus Hunted", RuneScape. "The witch Enakhra is still hunting me... It is worse knowing that she has taken it upon herself to collect trophies for Zamorak, in the form of petrified foes."
- ^ Mr. Mordaut, "One of a Kind", RuneScape. "I have been researching Enakhra's exploits and there are references to such a statue as tribute for Zamorak, but she was never able to deliver it."
- ^ Mr. Mordaut, "One of a Kind", RuneScape. "I found documents that speak of Robert the Strong finding a strange, lifelike statue of an unknown species."
- ^ Kerapac, "One of a Kind", RuneScape. "If you submit yourself to my study, then I believe there is a slim chance - within a few decades - that I may be able to provide a cure."
- ^ Kerapac, "One of a Kind", RuneScape. "I will store you in stasis, so the passing of time will mean nothing to you."
- ^ Sharrigan, "One of a Kind", RuneScape. "It is time you were with us - your people - in our final days... The Ilujanka have embraced our destiny, we are ready for the next life, great grandfather."
- ^ Hannibus, "Curse of the Black Stone", RuneScape.
- ^ Hannibus, "Curse of the Black Stone", RuneScape. "Well the big disadvantage that these cannons have, is that they're rather vulnerable from the air. So I thought that I could perhaps convince a few of our big scaly friends to help us out. I thought we might start by chatting with my old mount, Shakorexis, or the King Black Dragon as you call him. It would be good to fly again."
- ^ Hannibus, "Curse of the Black Stone", RuneScape. "Other...rider?
Mr. Mordaut: There's a dragonrider general, fights for the forces of Zaros at the Heart. Perhaps you could persuade her to assist you?
Hannibus:I...[Player] please, I need to meet this rider. I need to speak with them."
- ^ Hannibus, "Curse of the Black Stone", RuneScape. "How can you say such things? How can you renounce the Olun'dai so willingly. You must have been taught..."
- ^ Vindicta, "Curse of the Black Stone", RuneScape. "Hannibus, the great rider. A terror to his enemies. Greatest of the riders."
- ^ Hannibus, "Curse of the Black Stone", RuneScape. "I...I never introduced myself. I am Hannibus. I...I am your father."
- ^ Vindicta, "Curse of the Black Stone", RuneScape. "How dare you lie to me! Hannibus was a giant. A warrior. You are a tiny, frail thing."
- ^ Hannibus, "Curse of the Black Stone", RuneScape. "I AM a warrior. Shakorexis and I have faced down armies and destroyed the dread beasts of the old world. Do not think to know me child. A warrior is more than the armour they wear and the weapons they carry. More than muscle and...height. I am a warrior, I will always be a warrior. Let me prove it to you, daughter. Come fight with me. One battle, let me prove that you are my daughter."