The HTML5 client was a revision of the current Game Client to be integrated in upcoming updates for RuneScape 3. The implementation of HTML5 was promised to make the game run faster and with better graphics, and would also allow for RuneScape to be playable on mobile devices and tablets.
History[edit | edit source]
|“||We have some tremendous content - as well as technical innovations - lined up over the course of the next few months that we believe you will love. We already have RuneScape running in a new and improved client architecture built on HTML5 [...] and now I’m happy to report that we also have a dedicated Future Tech team working on bringing the game to your favourite tablets, platforms and even smart TVs in due course.||”|
|— Mod MMG|
Beta[edit | edit source]
On 17 April 2013 the Beta of RuneScape 3 was opened up for a select group of players. It initially had a non-disclosure agreement attached to it, but that was lifted very soon afterwards. Improved graphics such as further render distance could already be observed in this beta.
Updates[edit | edit source]
In a March 2014 Q&A, Mod Philip commented on future updates to the HTML5 client:
|“||Question: Hello, I would love to know when HTML5 will be officially released ? Also, you mentioned a while ago that you were working on a stand alone client for the game, is it still planned?
Answer: HTML5 is available to play now - we are unlikely to make any significant changes to it in the future, as the underlying technology is not really fast enough for our player base to have a good experience in it. It is still supported though, and is being used as a basis for some work on other client technology which should turn out a lot better (but we are not sure when it will be ready yet).
|— Mod Philip|
At RuneFest 2014, it was mentioned that:
|“||We had some very good reasons for wanting to write a new client, Java has become increasingly harder to run in a browser over the years, plus it’s written in a way that makes it difficult for us to squeeze out any more performance from it, or to add new features.
In any case, the HTML5 client was supposed to solve these problems and generally make it easier for you to play RuneScape. Unfortunately the client wasn’t fast enough, even on high-end computers. The performance problems we originally thought were just something we needed to work on, were rather more intractable than we had anticipated, for quite complicated technical reasons. So, we went back to the drawing board and decided that the only way we could sort things out properly was to write the client again.
Over the past year we have been quietly working to bring you something pretty awesome. Our next new client builds on the re-architecting we did for the HTML5 project to deliver what HTML5 could not – the performance you expect out of your computer when playing RuneScape, with all of the added benefits we had intended to give you before, and more.
|— Mod Mark and the RuneScape Team|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 19 January 2015 (Update):
- HTML5 client users will no longer stand on the Hefin church flags while running on the agility course.
- patch 6 October 2014 (Update):
- Players no longer go up a level when opening the doors to the Clan Citadel keep in HTML5.
- The HTML5 client should no longer crash when encountering a skybox.
- patch 22 September 2014 (Update):
- A bloom-related issue that was causing some cutscenes to not display has been fixed.
- Code fixes have been made for player updates in the Grouping System.
- Two issues causing localised clients to crash have been fixed.
- patch 14 July 2014 (Update):
- A fix to the HTML5 client has been applied to let the preload get past 3%.
- A fix to stop the HTML5 client crashing when hopping from a P2P world to a F2P world has been implemented.
- patch 9 June 2014 (Update):
- A fix has been applied to bring some interface behaviour in line with the Java client.
- patch 27 May 2014 (Update):
- A fix for doors that were disappearing in HTML5 has been applied.
- Toolbar icons should no longer disappear when moused over in HTML5.
- patch 12 May 2014 (Update):
- Several missing background images in the HTML5 client have been restored.
- Crassian NPCs now have their life point bar shown correctly when the HTML5 client is used.
- patch 6 May 2014 (Update):
- Corrected the water shader being used in the HTML5 client.
- Hint arrows in the HTML5 beta should no longer appear in places on the screen that that may cause confusion.
- Doors in the HTML5 beta should now show their correct state (i.e. doors that appear closed can no longer be walked through).
- The flames under the spit roast (and anywhere else that had a particle or billboard attached to a rotating model) in the HTML5 beta should no longer orbit the chicken.
- patch 31 March 2014 (Update):
- patch 10 March 2014 (Update):
- A fix for one of the HTML5 errors – specifically the 'getColourWeighting wowsers' message – has been applied.
- patch 28 February 2014 (Update):
- A fix has been applied to prevent crashes due to '_texture' of null.
- Click throughs have been prevented from happening on the world map.
- patch 17 December 2013 (Update):
- A minor graphical issue with quick sand in the HTML5 client has been fixed.
- patch 13 August 2013 (Update):
- Buckets of water and milk no longer share the same appearance in the HTML5 client.
- The Trial Announcer is no longer floating in the HTML5 client.
- A troll in the tutorial cutscene is no longer floating in the HTML5 client.
- Shadows on Jadinko Lair fire pits have been removed from the HTML5 client.
- In the HTML5 client, clan vexillums no longer fly when placed on a stand in the clan camp.
- The "Low", "Med", and "High" buttons now highlight correctly in the graphical options for the HTML5 client.
- patch 20 May 2013 (Update):
- Castle Wars flags and ballistas no longer float above the ground.
- The appearance of water in the Crucible has been fixed.
- The snow in Ardougne zoo is no longer blue.
- The bridge in Ardougne Zoo has been fixed.
- Some occurrences of water flooding areas it shouldn't be have been corrected.
- patch 30 April 2013 (Update):
- Several graphical fixes and changes for the HTML5 client have been made.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Jagex. "Fourth Official Live Q&A - The Future of RuneScape." 30 September 2012. RuneScape News.
- ^ Rik Henderson. Runescape 3 MMORPG coming to iPad in time, will work on some Android devices from 22 July launch. 5 July 2013. (Archived from the original on 5 June 2021.)
- ^ Mod Lordgit. "New Runescape Client." 26 March 2015. Developer Blogs Forums. "We decided to take everything we’d learned from our first attempt, and start afresh."
- ^ Maybe we should wait until mobile is ready to kill companion app?. 24 February 2019. (Archived from the original on 5 June 2021.)
- ^ Mark Gerhard. "Mod MMG on RuneScape Micro-Payments." 29 August 2012. RuneScape News.
- ^ Mod MattHe. Q&A: March VIP Answers. 7 March 2014. (Archived from the original on 28 March 2015.)
- ^ Mod Mark and the RuneScape Team. "RuneFest’s Big Reveals." 10 October 2014. RuneScape News. "Whatever happened to…?" section.