|Release date||12 March 2013 (Update)|
|Examine||• A manifestation of a memory of Guthix.|
• A manifestation of a memory of Guthix, attracted by the Voice of Seren.
|NPC ID||17060, 17129, 19884, 23917|
|Links||MRND17060 MRND17129 MRND19884 MRND23917|
|Infobox (multi) • Talk page|
Guthixian butterflies are creatures that are manifestations of Guthix's memories. They can rarely spawn when picking a butterfly flower plant, when gaining Farming experience in the Crwys Clan district while the Voice of Seren is active, surface skilling in Menaphos with an overall reputation rank of 4 (those spawns can be toggled off by speaking to the Impling collector) or higher, or while harvesting divine energy with the Harmony of Naragun buff activated. Picking up an engram and rising up in prestige in the Memorial to Guthix will always spawn one.
When caught, players are awarded experience in their lowest skill (the one with the least experience) and the caught butterfly disappears in a puff of coloured smoke. If the butterfly outfit is worn, butterflies are always caught on the first attempt. A player with all skills at level 99 will gain experience in any of the skills with a higher level cap, as long as they are below level 120, otherwise they gain experience in the lowest experience skill. Experience awarded can be turned off by talking to either Memstix by the Tribute stone north of Falador or Orla at the Memorial to Guthix.
They initially appeared worldwide during the Tribute to Guthix event, but were removed from the game with the conclusion of the event on 2 April 2013. Afterwards they were returning during the Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza in 2014 and the corresponding Easter event every year afterwards.
During the events, catching five butterflies unlocked one of fifteen Guthixian memories. Each butterfly restored 15% of either your life points, Prayer points, or your Summoning level, whichever was depleted most. If all three stats were at or above their maximum, one was randomly selected and temporarily boosted up to 5% above its maximum. Only twenty butterflies could be caught for experience each day, and subsequent butterflies gave only stat boosts or restoration. Players having completed the 2016 Easter event were able to catch 5 more butterflies daily that year. Butterflies spawned by in-game activities were not affected by the daily cap, did not restore stats, and did not contribute to unlocking memories.
Butterflies caught after the daily limit also did not count towards unlocking Guthixian memories, limiting the daily number to four. Players could continue to catch the butterflies for fun, but simply received the message "You manage to catch the butterfly." It was possible to talk to Memstix to toggle on/off receiving experience when catching Guthixian butterflies.
Experience[edit | edit source]
The experience gained at level is:
Messages[edit | edit source]
General message[edit | edit source]
- You manage to catch the butterfly (X/Y of your daily limit for XP).
- Y being either 20 normally or 25 in 2016 if the player completed the 2016 Easter event.
- You manage to catch the butterfly. You have now caught your daily limit for XP; you should return for more tomorrow!
Skill based messages[edit | edit source]
Skill based messages are the same as the ones when doing Tears of Guthix. During the events and depending on the image that is shown when caught, the butterflies boost your life points, prayer points or summoning points.
|Attack||You feel a brief surge of aggression.|
|Strength||Your muscles bulge.|
|Defence||You feel very defensive.|
|Ranged||Your aim improves.|
|Prayer||You suddenly feel very close to the gods.|
|Magic||You feel magical power coursing through your body.|
|Constitution||You feel very healthy.|
|Agility||You feel very nimble.|
|Herblore||You gain a deep understanding of all kinds of strange plants.|
|Thieving||You feel your respect for others' property slipping away.|
|Crafting||Your fingers feel nimble and suited to delicate work.|
|Fletching||You gain a deep understanding of wooden sticks.|
|Mining||You gain a deep understanding of the stones of the earth.|
|Smithing||You gain a deep understanding of all types of metal.|
|Fishing||You gain knowledge about various sea creatures.|
|Cooking||You gain knowledge about various cuisines.|
|Firemaking||You have a brief urge to set light to something.|
|Woodcutting||You gain a deep understanding of the trees in the wood.|
|Runecrafting||You gain a deep understanding of runes.|
|Slayer||You gain a deep understanding of many strange creatures.|
|Farming||You gain a deep understanding of the cycles of nature.|
|Construction||You feel homesick.|
|Hunter||You briefly experience the joy of the hunt.|
|Summoning||You feel at one with nature.|
|Dungeoneering||You feel the mysteries of Daemonheim unravel.|
|Divination||You briefly feel the power of the anima mundi pass over you.|
|Invention||You suddenly find your mind is full of ideas.|
|Archaeology||You gain a deeper understanding of the past.|
During events[edit | edit source]
Locations[edit | edit source]
The butterflies could be found in various places across the world. They were located on the minimap and appeared as yellow dots.
- Al Kharid
- Ancient Cavern - Near the entrance.
- Brimhaven - Near Hajedy, the cart transporter
- Burthorpe - Near the bank chest
- East of Cairn Isle Near the bridge
- Catherby - Next to the bank
- Daemonheim - Around the castle
- The Dig Site - Southern end and toward the east near the shore.
- Draynor Village
- Outside Draynor Manor
- Edgeville - Near the bank.
- Feldip Hunter area
- Gnome Stronghold - Around the tree shortcut in northwest area (inside and outside stronghold)
- Goblin Village
- Herblore Habitat
- Karamja - Top of the volcano
- Legends' Guild - Entrance
- In town
- North of the Oo'glog lodestone
- Piscatoris Hunting Area
- Port Sarim
- Outside the Grotworm cave entrance
- Around the Rat Pits
- Port Phasmatys - Around the Ectofuntus
- Outside of the Ranging Guild
- Seers' Village - In the village and the surrounding area
- Lower-level wilderness areas
- Any of the ancient magic teleporters
- Landmarks such as the Graveyard of Shadows
- Wizards' Tower - South of Draynor Village
- North of World Gate
- Yanille - South-west of lodestone in the Ogre area
Rewards[edit | edit source]
When caught, these butterflies give experience on the lowest skill. The amount of experience increases with the skill level. If you have at least 99 in all skills but don't have level 120 Dungeoneering, you'll get experience for Dungeoneering.
Catching butterflies also boosts Summoning, Prayer, and Life points above the nominal maximum. The boosted skill is shown in the glow after the butterfly is caught. Free players may see a Summoning glow but their summoning level cannot be restored to over 5, in the case of a past member.
The Summoning boost does not allow you to infuse pouches higher than your normal level, but it does allow you to do Ancient Effigies above your normal level.
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 8 January 2018 (Update):
- Players will no longer repeatedly see the message: 'You cannot fight other people's followers here' when using AOE abilities with a Guthixian butterfly nearby.
- patch 10 July 2017 (Update):
- patch 19 June 2017 (Update):
- Guthixian butterflies will no longer fly into the pillars on the dock in the Ports district of Menaphos.
- hotfix 10 January 2017 (Update):
- A message has been added when Guthixian butterflies spawn.
- Player-spawned Guthixian butterflies no longer appear to other players.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The butterflies have a chance to clip through some walls.
- In rare cases, if two Guthixian butterflies are both on the same square, catching one of them will result in both being caught for full XP and boosts (if applicable), as if each was caught separately.
- When the daily limits reset, the total number of butterflies caught by a player that day is not updated until you at least exit to the lobby. If you are logged in and the timer resets, any caught butterflies will count towards the previous day's counter until you relog.
- Prior to the release of Invention, a player with all skills at level 99 would gain Dungeoneering experience if their Dungeoneering level was below 120, otherwise they gained experience in the lowest experience skill. This is also the case with Tears of Guthix. This was fixed on 23 March 2016.
|Memorial to Guthix|