|Release||4 August 2010 (Update)|
|Examine||A follower of Guthix.|
|XP (2H/MH/OH)||50 / 33 / 16|
5 ticks (3.0s)
|Base hit chance|
|Not immune||Not immune||Not immune||Not immune|
|Links||bestiary • MRND|
|FAQ • doc|
Guthix wizard are wizards encountered during elite treasure trails. They may appear if a player digs at a scan or compass location. They wield a Guthix crozier and primarily attack with magic, but also carry a dragon dagger as a melee sidearm for its special attack.
Their main attack is the spell Earth Surge, although they occasionally use Claws of Guthix which can lower the player's Defence. These attacks are used regardless of the player's current prayers or position.
They can also switch to a dragon dagger and use its special attack, which deals considerable melee damage with high accuracy and a very high chance of causing poison. This attack is only used if the player is in melee range.
Some players have reported experiencing glitches when encountering Guthix wizards while a combat familiar is following. The player may receive a chat message saying "It's not after you..." if the wizard targets the familiar; the player is then rendered unable to attack the wizard, and must dig again and fight a new wizard. It is advisable to not bring a familiar in case this occurs, or to use a passive familiar that does not attack (such as a bunyip or pack yak). Another option is to bypass the fight altogether by using Meerkats and Meerkat scroll (Fetch Casket)s.
Drops[edit | edit source]
The wizard has somewhat similar drops to that of the Saradomin/Zamorak wizards.
Main drops[edit | edit source]
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE Price||High Alch|
|Air rune||60; 189||Uncommon||1,680–5,292||180–567|
|Water rune||42; 146||Uncommon||7,476–25,988||126–438|
|Earth rune||79; 86||Uncommon||2,212–2,408||237–258|
|Fire rune||51; 180||Uncommon||5,814–20,520||153–540|
|Nature rune||28; 30||Uncommon||20,748–22,230||2,072–2,220|
|Death rune||15; 45||Uncommon||4,890–14,670||930–2,790|
|Law rune||9; 10||Uncommon||2,430–2,700||675–750|
Universal drops[edit | edit source]
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster and skilling action outside of Daemonheim.
- These items are dropped alongside main drops.
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE Price||High Alch|
|Key token||1||Rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Mimic kill token (m)||1||1/10000||82,558||Not alchemisable|
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 26 March 2018 (Update):
- The female guthix wizard defending elite caskets no longer has a male voice.
- Corrected all treasure trail wizards to play a teleport sound when they leave.
- patch 26 February 2018 (Update):.
- All Zamorak, Saradomin, and Guthix wizards are attackable with left-click by default. There should no longer be any instances where a wizard cannot be left-clicked due to combat level changes in the Wilderness or due to familiars.
- Clue scroll wizards and double agents are no longer familiar immune.
- The Saradomin, Zamorak and Guthix wizards from Treasure Trails have been graphically updated.
- The Saradomin and Guthix wizards now wield staffs and only use their Dragon dagger special attacks if players are in melee range.
- Wizards from Treasure Trails now teleport away when defeated, leaving some loot behind in the process (but no bones).
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The way that Guthix wizards (and by extension, Saradomin wizards) inflict poison is different from most poisonous monsters; rather than having a chance to inflict it on a successful attack, they have a passive chance to inflict it with every game tick that passes while they are in melee range, regardless of whether they are actually attacking and whether or not the attack inflicts damage. As a result, they are capable of rapidly lowering the duration of antipoison potions, so more than one dose may be necessary if the wizard is not killed quickly. However, they can only cause poison if they are able to melee the player, meaning that a player can bypass the need for antipoison altogether by using Protect from Melee.
- There is a fairly rare glitch that enables the wizards to sometimes inflict poison when using Claws of Guthix, even if they do not pull out their dragon dagger at all throughout the fight. This appears to be caused by their aforementioned poison mechanics, and therefore using Protect from Melee to disallow their poisonous melee attacks will prevent this from happening. Saradomin wizards are also affected by this glitch.
- All clue scroll wizards and the Double agent received a graphical update as part of the clue scroll overhaul on 26 February 2018. Guthix wizards received the following changes:
- Their combat levels were lowered to 105 in the Wilderness and 119 elsewhere, and their weaknesses were removed.
- The level 105 wizard's gender was changed to female.
- They now wield a Guthix crozier, and attack with both Earth Surge and Claws of Guthix.
- They no longer attack with ranged, and the level 105 wizard's mithril dagger was changed to a dragon dagger.
- They are now able to use their dragon dagger's special attack, and will only use it for this purpose. The dagger is visible only when they use the special attack.
- They teleport away upon being defeated.
- Prior to their graphical update, the non-Wilderness Guthix wizards would use the old reverse-grip attack animation with their daggers, despite holding them in a forward grip. The same glitch affected the Saradomin wizard.
- There was an audio glitch where the level 105 version used a male voice despite being female; this was fixed on 26 March 2018.