The Guthix staff is one of the God staves that can be obtained after completing the Mage Arena minigame. Like the other God staves, this staff requires level 60 Magic to acquire and wield.
To obtain it, the player must defeat Kolodion the mage in all of his different forms. Either speak to the Chamber guardian after worshipping the statue of Guthix or buy one off the Chamber guardian for 80,000.
The Guthix staff has a special attack that can only be used after the Divine Storm spell has been cast 100 times on the mages in the Mage Arena.
Neither the God staves nor the God capes have any effect whatsoever on Divine Storm.
The Guthix staff's special attack, Claws of Guthix
The Guthix staff's special attack is Claws of Guthix. It costs 25% adrenaline and deals 140%-300% (220% on average) ability damage. On a successful hit, this lowers the target's Defence level by 5% of the base level. It also applies a debuff that increases the target's affinity values by 2; this affinity increase lasts for one minute. In order to unlock and use this special attack, the Divine Storm spell must be cast 100 times on the mages inside the Mage Arena (players need not do this if they have already cast the original god spells 100 times within the Mage Arena before the spells' removal).
This special attack is incredibly useful against monsters with high Defence and low affinities. It may be stacked with Quake (2 stacks) and Statius's warhammer (5 stacks) special to increase the target's hit chance value by 9, making them much easier to hit.
It is often used at high-level bosses such as:
- Vorago - recovers drained Defence levels very quickly, he cannot remove the affinity debuff
- Telos - restores drained Defence faster on higher enrages
- Nex: Angel of Death
Even against monsters that the player already has high hit chance on, the special attack remains useful for its high damage output.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- patch 27 January 2020 (Update):
- Special attacks from the God Staves will no longer visually stall you when moving after casting.
patch 10 April 2017 (Update):
- The Guthix staff now triggers an icon for the NPC targeting interface when using its special attack.
- patch 27 October 2014 (Update):
- God staves will now turn into coins when their carrier is killed in PvP.
- patch 7 July 2014 (Update):
- God staves now show the correct Magic level to wield them.
- patch 30 April 2013 (Update):
- God staves are now long enough when used in a combat stance.
- When gnomes received a graphical update, so did the Guthix staff wielded by the gnomes in the Mage Arena.
- After the introduction of the Evolution of Combat, the staff was not given any stats, making it equivalent to a basic staff. A hidden update fixed this, making the staff and its counterparts level 60 Magic weapons like they were before the Evolution of Combat.
- Before the arrival of the Evolution of Combat, this staff was used to cast Claws of Guthix spell, but this was removed from the game and replaced with the Divine Storm spell. With the introduction of Legacy Mode, the spell has returned as the weapon's special attack.