Guthan the Infested
|Guthan the Infested|
|Release||9 May 2005 (Update)|
|A vengeful spirit corrupted by dark magic.|
|Equipment XP (2H/MH & Armour/OH)|
|52 / 35 / 17|
6 ticks (3.6s)
|Not immune||Not immune||Not immune||Not immune|
|Links||bestiary • MRND|
|FAQ • doc|
Guthan the Infested is the third oldest of the six Barrows brothers. He attacks with melee using his warspear. He attacks at a fairly average/slow speed, but despite this, he can still deal around 1000 damage per hit and should not be taken lightly, despite being regarded as one of the weaker Barrows brothers.
Guthan has a unique ability; Guthan's Infestation, which allows him to heal himself at a 1:1 ratio, so if he deals 500 life points of damage and the effect occurs, he would recover 500 life points. His effect is accompanied by an animation when activated; three ghostly entities surround Guthan's opponents then circle around them in an upwards motion.
He is also fought in Barrows: Rise of the Six.
History[edit | edit source]
Early History[edit | edit source]
Along with his brothers, Guthan lived on a farm and had a relationship with Isolde, a druidess. However, Ahrim killed Isolde out of jealously and mourning her supposed abandonment, Guthan went to the tavern and got drunk. He then got into a fight with Commander Jaycliff, killing him in the process. Fearful of the impending investigation and subesquent hanging, he went to the Mahjarrat Sliske and struck a deal with him - if all six brothers joined, Sliske would spare him. Guthan successfully persuaded his brothers to join, and as a result, was spared.
The God Wars[edit | edit source]
He and his brothers led a campaign into Morytania, where they all fell ill to a "sickness" and died. Sliske came and bound them to his service. Sometime after their deaths, Azzanadra had Sliske protect an icon, which he had Guthan and his brothers do. The icon was eventually taken by an adventurer who Azzanadra tasked with reclaiming it.
2016 Easter Event[edit | edit source]
Guthan and his brothers appear as bobblehead workers in Sliske's chocolate factory.
Kindred Spirits[edit | edit source]
Guthan takes part in Sliske's game, where his relationship with Isolde is revealed. Sliske has Ahrim navigate a maze of "righteousness", and Guthan appears before him with his love Isolde. If Ahrim was bathed in most of the flames, Ahrim asks the two for forgiveness; if not, Ahrim kills Isolde again and Sliske wipes Guthan of the memories he had with her. He also reveals to his brothers why he had them join the crusades (though Torag was planning to sign up anyways).
Sliske's Endgame[edit | edit source]
Guthan makes an appearance in Sliske's Endgame where he and his brothers rebel against Sliske due to the adventurer's actions in Kindred Spirits. They return to their crypts after Sliske is defeated by the adventurer.
Barrows[edit | edit source]
Guthan's crypt is located at the south-east of the Barrows area, and he is weak to Air Spells. Strong magic spells such as Air Surge, Polypore Strike and Smoke Barrage are recommended when fighting him, however he can be taken down just as easily with strong melee weapons such as the Chaotic Maul. Guthan does not pose as much of a threat as his brothers do, with his set effect healing him instead of dealing extra damage or draining stats/adrenaline, but players should still be cautious and well-prepared when fighting him.
Drops[edit | edit source]
Guthan does not drop his main rewards directly; instead, his equipment is added as possible rewards from the Barrows chest. See Barrows#Rewards for more information. However, Guthan can directly drop the following items.
|Item||Quantity||Rarity||GE price||High Alch|
|Ghost hunter goggles||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Ghost hunter body||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Ghost hunter legs||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Ghost hunter backpack||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Ectoplasmator (m)||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Ghostly essence (m)||1–2||Very rare||4,140-8,280||60-120|
|Deployable herb burner (m)||1||Very rare||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
|Cremation||1||1/1000||Not sold||Not alchemisable|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Update history[edit | edit source]
- patch 11 January 2021 (Update):
- Various bosses around RuneScape have taken their Santa Hats off for another year.
- patch 23 October 2017 (Update):
- The right-click options on Barrows brothers spawned by other players have been removed.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Along with the graphical update on 4 January 2012, his combat level was increased from 115 to 147. Due to the Evolution of Combat his combat level has once again increased to 150.
- When Guthan's face disappears, most of the face will disappear, but after a tick, a small black shape will appear, and disappear in the next tick. It is possible for the shape to stay for a very long time, and therefore Guthan's face will appear constantly until the shape disappears.
- Guthan, along with the other Barrows Brothers, have not received any animation updates since the Evolution of Combat - leaving them to have old (Legacy) attacking and defending animations. This is not the case in the Rise of the Six encounter, where they use updated animations.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Jagex. Mod Stu's Twitter account. 17 November 2017. (Archived from the original on 22 January 2019.) Mod Stu: "Had a look at the code: * It only drops on member worlds * Looks like a 1/1,000 drop chance, no modifiers * It just flags a variable and messages "You have unlocked the ability to burn bones on bonfires!", so it's easy to miss you've unlocked it"
|This template is about the Barrows brothers|
|Characters mentioned in the letters|