This article is about attackable guard. For Varrock's military force, see Varrock Guard
Guards are members of the Varrock Guard found near the Varrock city gates and within the Varrock Palace. They can be attacked or pickpocketed.
Guards can be pickpocketed with level 40 Thieving, giving 46.8 experience and 30-34 coins, or up to 60 coins per pickpocket after finishing the Lost Her Marbles caper. If unsuccessful, the player will be hit for twenty life points and stunned for five seconds. If someone kills the guard just as the player is pickpocketing, they will get the message "Too late; they are dead" and they will receive neither experience nor loot.
|Thieving level||40 ||Thieving XP||46.8 XP||Stun time / damage||4.8s / 20 lp|
|Double loot||50 |
|Triple loot||60 |
|Quadruple loot||70 |
|Coins||30–34; 60[Note 1]||Always||30-60||30-60|
- ^ Only with the relevant clue in the inventory.
|Nothing|1 1 1 1
|Represents a 90% confidence range based on a sample of 17,156 kills.|
1 item is dropped at a time.
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These items are dropped alongside main drops.
This information has been compiled as part of the update history project. Some updates may not be included - see here for how to help out!
- 24 January 2022 (Update):
- Female guards have been added to Varrock.
- patch 24 January 2022 (Update):
- All Varrock guards have been graphically updated.
- patch 11 April 2016 (Update):
- Guards were graphically updated.
- patch 24 March 2014 (Update):
- Varrock guards' waists no longer stretch in combat or during death.
- patch 11 December 2013 (Update):
- The Varrock guard idle animations have been tweaked.
- patch 25 February 2009 (Update):
- The Varrock Guards' armour will no longer show through their shields.
- Before the Varrock graphical rework on 29 May 2007 the city used to share generic guards with a number of other areas. The rework gave the Varrock guards a unique equipment style and introduced two slightly different model variants. One of them has a plate metal gorget, black stripes and yellow cloth under the helmet. Those features are shared with Captain Rovin and another captain, which might suggest they indicate a higher rank.
- The average life expectancy of a guard is 30 seconds, as stated by the captain.
- A workman used to pass the east gate, asking guards How's it going, officers?. Depending on whether the guards were attacked by the players or not, they would respond with I'M BEING SLAUGHTERED! or Another boring day., with the workman saying Nothing new here in both scenarios. When all the Varrock guards at eastern gate were dead, when the workman walked by, he would follow his question with Oh, they're all dead.
- Every time a player pickpockets a guard in Varrock, a count is added to the signpost in front of the palace entrance. This count is daily and unique to each world; it is always at zero on free worlds as it is impossible to pickpocket guards on them.
- There is guard outside the Varrock Palace, attempting to arrest Ozan. If you talk to them, Ozan would frame you as his accomplice and flee. Afterwards, the guard becomes attackable. Once killed, he would not respawn.
- With the rework of Varrock guards on 24 January 2022 a number of female guards were added, with two of them replacing the warrior women previously found in the palace.