|Release date||28 May 2002 (Update)|
|Quest NPC||Fishing Contest|
|Examine||He looks elderly.|
|Infobox (multi) • Talk page|
Grandpa Jack is a retired fisherman living in Hemenster. In his youth, he regularly entered the local annual Fishing Contest, winning it four years in a row. He has a reputation for freely divulging his secrets, with a possible knock on effect that other local fishermen keep their advice to themselves. As a result, he is the only local fisherman willing to help others with their fishing. However, he doesn't lightly tolerate impudence, stating the only reason why he doesn't do anything about it is due to his old age.
In his youth, he used to fish in the nearby town of Catherby. One day, he and his crew decided to cast out their nets, but caught only junk. Jack's net caught on something heavy, and he pulled up a casket which contained a diamond, which he claims was the best catch of his life. He apparently caught a whitefish at some point, but lost it.
He advised a passing adventurer that their best chance of winning the contest lay in using red vine worms as bait and getting the spot by the pipes, where giant carp can be caught. He also advised they use garlic to presuade the current occupant of the pipes spot to move. He was also willing to sell the adventurer a fishing rod.
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Joshua, "Fishing Contest", RuneScape. "Who's Grampa Jack [he/she] says! He won this competition four years in a row! He lives in the house just outside the gate."
- ^ Big Dave, "Fishing Contest", RuneScape. "Why would I help you? I wanna stay the best! I'm not givin' away my secrets like old Grampa Jack does!"
- ^ Grandpa Jack, "Fishing Contest", RuneScape. "Why you young whippersnapper! If I was twenty years younger I’d show you something that’s for sure!"
- ^ Grandpa Jack, "Fishing Contest", RuneScape. "Well, when I were a young man we used to take fishing trips over to Catherby: The fishing over there – now that was something!"
- ^ Grandpa Jack, "Fishing Contest", RuneScape. "Anyway, we decided to do a bit of fishing with our nets,[...]turning up nothing but old boots and bits of seaweed. Then my net suddenly got really heavy! I pulled it up... To my amazement I'd caught this little chest thing! Even more amazing was when I opened it it contained a diamond the size of a radish! That's the best catch I've ever had!"
- ^ Grandpa Jack, "Fishing Contest", RuneScape. "Well, you sometimes get these really big fish in the water just by the outflow pipes. I think they're some kind of carp... Try to get a spot round there. The best sort of bait for them is red vine worms."
- ^ Grandpa Jack, "Fishing Contest", RuneScape. "Ahh well, I'm sure you'll find something to put him off. Afer all, there must be a kitchen around here with some garlic in it, perhaps in Seers Village or Ardougne. If e's pretending to be a vampyre then he can pretend to be scared of garlic!"